Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Major Selection (Online)
Hi guys! I’m new here. I’m in need of some help choosing the right path and thought I’d ask here. I am 33 years old and transitioning careers. I have completed 104 credits at an accredited University (Fine Arts: Theater Major) and just received my credit evaluation from TESU. Currently, I am at a crossroad in my life and deciding what my next step should be. I have lived in NYC the last 11 years, and have recently relocated to NJ where I’m currently looking for a full-time job, planning a wedding, all while completing a degree online (yikes!). As I chased my dream of being an actor in NYC, with some success, I now feel like I’ve fallen behind in the professional world. Which brings me here...

I have an entrepreneurial spirit with strong interpersonal skills (my previous job was in business development for a catering company)--ideally, I would love to own my own business one day. At the same time, I’m trying to do what’s best financially and complete my major promptly. Without speaking to an advisor, I have narrowed my majors down to three. 

BSBA/Marketing- 46 of my credits transferred from my prior university--would have to complete 74 credits.
BSBA/Entrepreneurship- 46 of my credits transferred from my prior university--would have to complete 74 credits.
BA/Computer Science- 67 of my credits transferred from my prior university--would have to complete 53 credits. 

I’m asking for pros/cons from those who have experience with these majors and in the professional world. The best way to complete the degree as quickly as possible. What degree would make me the most hirable etc.

My sincerest gratitude in advance!
Strictly in terms of getting hired, Computer Science jobs are plentiful, BUT you have to be committed to it as a profession and be very good at it. Given your previous experience, and ultimate goals, I would think that one of the business degrees would be a better fit. Unless you have lots of CS skills you haven't mentioned, the business degrees might also be quicker to complete for you despite needing more credits.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I would think the CS degree would make you the most hirable since computer and IT skills are in really high demand right now. It also depends on what you really want to do though.

If you post your credit evaluation including all of your college credits from all sources, we could be more helpful with your other questions.

Be sure to browse the forum and check out the beginners thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...dit--24842
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-12-2018, 10:42 AM)davewill Wrote: Strictly in terms of getting hired, Computer Science jobs are plentiful, BUT you have to be committed to it as a profession and be very good at it. Given your previous experience, and ultimate goals, I would think that one of the business degrees would be a better fit. Unless you have lots of CS skills you haven't mentioned, the business degrees might also be quicker to complete for you despite needing more credits.
Davewill- Thanks for your response! 

I don’t have a lot of CS skills  Sad How do you figure that the business degree might be quicker?
(10-12-2018, 11:02 AM)ThirtySomething Wrote: ...
I don’t have a lot of CS skills  Sad How do you figure that the business degree might be quicker?

The CS degree can't be tested out of completely, plus you'll have a large learning curve to climb. It sounded to me like the only reason you have less to do on the CS degree is because it has a bunch of free electives, meaning you probably need the entire AOS and maybe all the advanced math, too. The BSBA can fully "tested out of" meaning that you can go as fast as you're capable. Since you mentioned you had prior experience in business development, and you seem to have an ultimate passion for being an entrepreneur, I thought testing out of the BSBA might go more quickly for you.

What I'd recommend is for you to lay out the actual courses you would be taking for each one, and make an honest estimate of how hard each would be and how long it would take you.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(10-12-2018, 11:07 AM)davewill Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 11:02 AM)ThirtySomething Wrote: ...

The CS degree can't be tested out of completely, plus you'll have a large learning curve to climb. It sounded to me like the only reason you have less to do on the CS degree is because it has a bunch of free electives, meaning you probably need the entire AOS and maybe all the advanced math, too. Since you mentioned you had prior experience in business development, and you seem to have an ultimate passion for being an entrepreneur, I thought testing out of the BSBA might go more quickly for you.

What I'd recommend is for you to lay out the actual courses you would be taking for each one, and make an honest estimate of how hard each would be and how long it would take you.

I think you’re right. How do I go about testing out of BSBA? 

(10-12-2018, 10:42 AM)MNomadic Wrote: I would think the CS degree would make you the most hirable since computer and IT skills are in really high demand right now. It also depends on what you really want to do though.

If you post your  credit evaluation including all of your college credits from all sources, we could be more helpful with your other questions.

Be sure to browse the forum and check out the beginners thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...dit--24842

Thanks MNomadic! I believe I have narrowed it down to one of the business majors. I clicked on the link for degree forum but any of the Wiki links appear to be dead---the page says “Not a valid community”. 

And excuse me for being new here---As far as efficiently posting my college credits, what's the best way to do that without littering this message board with my 104 credits worth of courses?
(10-12-2018, 11:10 AM)ThirtySomething Wrote: I think you’re right. How do I go about testing out of BSBA? 
There are multiple BSBA degree plans floating around the site you could use as a template. If you'll post your actual credits here, I suspect someone who's more up on the BSBA will jump in and help you customize one.

(10-12-2018, 11:10 AM)ThirtySomething Wrote: ...
And excuse me for being new here---As far as efficiently posting my college credits, what's the best way to do that without littering this message board with my 104 credits worth of courses?

If you put each course on one line with the source, the original course number and description, the TESU course number from your eval, the number of credits, and a mark on any courses that you got less than a "C" on, it won't be too long for a single post.

You might also print your eval to a PDF, black out any personal info, then attach it to a post.

There is a wealth of knowledge of people going after the BSBA and how to do it. The computer science degree you would have to take more in person classes and you would be on your own more (you wouldn't have the forum to help you answer questions as much). I'd so go with the marketing because it would look better to employers. I've worked for a lot of small business and am friends with a lot of self employed people. One of the hardest things about owning your own business is getting your name out there. And what do you call that? Answer: Marketing.

If you had a marketing degree you would have more skills to market your own business as well as work for other people. Also, I don't know if the entrepreneurship major is test outable like the marketing major is. Definitely harder to find classes to take.

BSBA in marketing.

If you just want a degree. Try seeing what a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies what get you. Probably would be the fastest option. Obviously not as valuable in terms of job opportunities, but you would have a degree. It would be quicker and easier to earn than the business route.
Thanks for the help! I have since attached my credit evaluation with BSBA/Marketing major selected for the time being. Please, don’t judge some of my grades  Confused

Attached Files
.pdf   Credits Evaluation .pdf (Size: 251.8 KB / Downloads: 24)
The OP wouldn't need any in-person classes for the CS degree.

If you really want to work in IT, you should look at the BSBA in CIS and teach yourself the additional skills you'll need. There are plenty of free courses and various apps out there; the CIS concentration on your application or resume will help get you selected by HR.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,155 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch