Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - Map for Psychology or Education Degree?
Question 
I am starting out with no credits and a big fat divorce at 41. 

I would really like to use TESU since I am a NJ resident.

I am interested in a Psychology or Education Degree. 

I saw a link for Corresponding tests but it is broken. I have no idea where to map this out. My 19 year old son is also interested in finding degree options, but again; the link is broken.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/cal/acp <~~ broken link.

Could someone point me to where there are options for types of degrees for TESU as well as a list of tests for testing out for those degrees? I am so overwhelmed with information. Please help!
Here's a map that a forum member made for the Psychology degree:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JS...1st,_2015)

And here's TESU's page listing all degrees they offer and the requirements:
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/what-you-can-study
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • TheJerseyGirl
(04-19-2019, 03:32 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Here's a map that a forum member made for the Psychology degree:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JS...1st,_2015)

And here's TESU's page listing all degrees they offer and the requirements:
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/what-you-can-study

I appreciate this very much!

When do I contact someone at TESU? Is it frowned upon to describe my test out options? Would they discourage me?

Should I first do the test out courses then contact them afterwards? Just not too sure about the order of things.
Since you're looking at education and psychology, it makes me wonder what your end goal is. There's a little overlap in where these graduates work, but they typically take different paths in their careers.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • harrypotter, TheJerseyGirl
(04-19-2019, 03:43 PM)sanantone Wrote: Since you're looking at education and psychology, it makes me wonder what your end goal is. There's a little overlap in where these graduates work, but they typically take different paths in their careers.

Well thank you for asking! I am very interested in teaching ESL online. China has now required for teachers to have a TESOL (which I have) and a BA of any kind. I am interested in Psychology and thought it would be great to blend it in as a side job doing some online counseling outside of teaching peak hours. 

I would love to know how to get an education degree this way though, as I think it may be a better fit ultimately. Considering both options if education is one.
(04-19-2019, 03:47 PM)TheJerseyGirl Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 03:43 PM)sanantone Wrote: Since you're looking at education and psychology, it makes me wonder what your end goal is. There's a little overlap in where these graduates work, but they typically take different paths in their careers.

Well thank you for asking! I am very interested in teaching ESL online. China has now required for teachers to have a TESOL (which I have) and a BA of any kind. I am interested in Psychology and thought it would be great to blend it in as a side job doing some online counseling outside of teaching peak hours. 

I would love to know how to get an education degree this way though, as I think it may be a better fit ultimately. Considering both options if education is one.

TESU doesn't have an education degree, but COSC has a degree in early childhood education. However, this won't be a degree that can be completed entirely by testing out and taking ACE courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • TheJerseyGirl
(04-19-2019, 04:05 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 03:47 PM)TheJerseyGirl Wrote:

TESU doesn't have an education degree, but COSC has a degree in early childhood education. However, this won't be a degree that can be completed entirely by testing out and taking ACE courses.

How can I compare and analyze and cross reference this information to figure it out on my own instead of bothering people? I am looking to compare TESU BA in Psych BA in English and BA in History and possible a BA in Liberal Arts to see what is covered for Testing out and what I need to attend at TESU? I would love to be able to figure this out. Do people call TESU and discuss this with them or is that the wrong way to go about it?
(04-19-2019, 04:28 PM)TheJerseyGirl Wrote: How can I compare and analyze and cross reference this information to figure it out on my own instead of bothering people? I am looking to compare TESU BA in Psych BA in English and BA in History and possible a BA in Liberal Arts to see what is covered for Testing out and what I need to attend at TESU? I would love to be able to figure this out. Do people call TESU and discuss this with them or is that the wrong way to go about it?

Calling TESU won't help as they won't volunteer (if they even know) information about alternative credit. For starters, the GenEd requirements for all of those are going to be the same, so you can map that out once and get started while you figure out which degree you ultimately want to try for.

As far as figuring it out on your own, the best way is to do a lot of reading threads here. There have been threads on each of those degrees at one time or another, and there will be discussion of the difficult to find courses, and how folks managed to get them. Be aware of how old posts are so you can tell outdated info from new. Once you gather enough info to ask more specific questions, come back here and ask away.

BA Liberal Studies is so flexible that it is almost always going to be the fastest and easiest choice, unless you have a lot of transfer credits already that fit into a different degree better. BA English has issues with finding enough UL courses, and with finding Non-Western Lit. A few people have done BA Psych, but I'm not sure what the exact current situation is in terms of finding everything you need cheaply.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
BA Psych is currently 100% test-friendly (meaning you can test out of everything but the cornerstone and capstone, which you'll have to take for any degree). BA History is currently one class away (meaning you'd need to take one additional class beyond those two). BA English is a couple away, not sure the number.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • TheJerseyGirl
(04-19-2019, 04:59 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: BA Psych is currently 100% test-friendly (meaning you can test out of everything but the cornerstone and capstone, which you'll have to take for any degree). BA History is currently one class away (meaning you'd need to take one additional class beyond those two). BA English is a couple away, not sure the number.

Do you know of a map for Psych or the other two? I see the one for Psych listed above, but if there are more I would be interested in checking them out.

If there are English or History I might be interested in seeing those as well. Any ideas? 

(You are so kind to be helping me out thus far! I appreciate it so much!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 151 3 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 657 3 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 62 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 343 9 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 354 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 152 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 209 03-27-2024, 07:24 PM
  Education Programs - Undergrad & Grad RachelB 0 121 03-27-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,484 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM