Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needing clarification for Chemistry and Physics
Hubby is still working on BSTechStudies and BSBA -- I've read various threads and need clarification on where to take Chemistry and/or Physics -- with labs-- to get proper credit at TESU. He already bought the Chem Lab course at SL but has not ordered the kit yet.

The plan was to utilize either SL and/or SDC, and I've read a few different threads stating they don't come in and fulfill the requirement for TESU. 

And for Chem II lab he was thinking Rio Salado.

And I was curious if there are other courses he could take besides Computer Science that will fulfill the UL requirement for BSTS?
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
(01-28-2019, 04:33 PM)scout2family Wrote: Hubby is still working on BSTechStudies and BSBA -- I've read various threads and need clarification on where to take Chemistry and/or Physics -- with labs-- to get proper credit at TESU. He already bought the Chem Lab course at SL but has not ordered the kit yet.

The plan was to utilize either SL and/or SDC, and I've read a few different threads stating they don't come in and fulfill the requirement for TESU. 

And for Chem II lab he was thinking Rio Salado.

And I was curious if there are other courses he could take besides Computer Science that will fulfill the UL requirement for BSTS?

I had it in writing that the SL Chemistry I Lab will still transfer. The SL General Chemistry I will transfer as Survey of Chemistry. It's a lower course from the REQUIRED Chemistry I course. CLEP/Saylor.org Chemistry will meet this requirement per Academic Advising. Not sure about the SDC.
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
(01-28-2019, 04:54 PM)docmarvin Wrote: I had it in writing that the SL Chemistry I Lab will still transfer. The SL General Chemistry I will transfer as Survey of Chemistry. It's a lower course from the REQUIRED Chemistry I course. CLEP/Saylor.org Chemistry will meet this requirement per Academic Advising. Not sure about the SDC.

Sounds like he'll have to use Saylor for Chem I unless someone chimes in about SDC.

Thank you for the good info!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
I think the problem was that there is no Chem II that's available, making that series more difficult to finish inexpensively (relatively).

The last I heard, here's what is out there:

Saylor's PHYS101 Physics: Intro to Mechanics (PHY-111)
Saylor's PHYS102 Physics: Intro to Electromagnetism (PHY-112)
UExcel Physics (PHY-111/112)
SL's General Physics I (PHY-113)
Study.com's PHY 111: Physics I (PHY-113)
Study.com's PHY 112: Physics II (PHY-114)

So I think for Physics, you can take either Study.com or SL for Physics I, SL for Physics I Lab, and Study.com for Physics II. You'd still need Physics II lab (prob through TESU).

Saylor's CHEM101: General Chemistry I + Lab (CHE-104)
CLEP Chemistry (CHE-111/112)
UExcel General Chemistry I (???)
SL's General Chemistry I + Lab (CHE-121)
Study.com's CHEM 101: General Chemistry (CHE-104)

You'd need SL's General Chem I + Lab, and then you'd need to take Chem II elsewhere (maybe Rio Salado?), plus the lab.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU and UNE have standalone labs for Chem II. I think Logan University also has standalone labs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
For chemistry, couldn't you do CLEP for the Chem 1/2 classes, SL for the Chem 1 Lab, and then one of the courses sanantone mentioned for Chem 2 Lab?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-29-2019, 11:47 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: For chemistry, couldn't you do CLEP for the Chem 1/2 classes, SL for the Chem 1 Lab, and then one of the courses sanantone mentioned for Chem 2 Lab?

I had heard that they changed the requirements, and the CLEP would not work for Chem II for this particular degree.  But I could be wrong.  Hopefully others will chime in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-29-2019, 06:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 11:47 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: For chemistry, couldn't you do CLEP for the Chem 1/2 classes, SL for the Chem 1 Lab, and then one of the courses sanantone mentioned for Chem 2 Lab?

I had heard that they changed the requirements, and the CLEP would not work for Chem II for this particular degree.  But I could be wrong.  Hopefully others will chime in.

If that's true, then that would be odd since the CLEP is more advanced than the ACE courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Hubby ended up getting an 'exception/allowance' for SL Chem 1& Lab. And then had Study.com planned(*PL *PTE)-- for Chem II and Lab. TESU slotted everything in the correct section of his Tech Studies degree. He just finished up Chem II & Lab at Study and the eval is now all messed up! They kicked out his SL Chem 101 out completely- marking it *RI. And now has SDC Chem II slotted in as Survey of Chemistry with 4 credits (no sign of the lab being completed either). He opened a ticket to get things sorted. We're hoping they stick to the plan and put everything back as it was-- and as agreed. I did take screenshots of the evals with the agreed-upon planned courses. They even had it noted in yellow to **Exception ALLOW.

So, just out of curiosity- I've looked up the transfer equivalencies for SL and Study. Study has Chem 2 w/ lab coming in as Chem 101- Survey of Chem (which is how it is reflecting in DHs current eval)!? They are out of their *$&#^ minds! This course was no walk in the park and neither was the lab!! What the heck is going on TESU?! Am I missing something?? If hubby hadn't already completed his capstones-- I'd have him looking elsewhere. They have been extremely difficult to deal with and are randomly messing up the evals.

What options does he have at this point? I'm trying to be prepared. Hubby was going to apply for graduation now that he's completed all of his coursework. But I don't want to hold my breath and hope that TESU fixes it. Hubby recently asked to delete some of his old planned courses (since he took a few courses that came up and grabbed his interest) and the response he got was 'no, we can't do that'. Hhmm!?

I don't think he's going to want to give TESU more money to take another class with them. If he's going to have to re-do this course somewhere else, I just hope it slots in properly. **sigh**

I looked at UNE and it looks like $1100+ for the Chem I or Chem II course and $360 for each lab.

Rio Salado doesn't have Chem II avail until next year. Sad

Are there any new sources-- I have been trying to see what else is out there, but am not finding much on Chemistry options. I suppose if they decide to be difficult, he can go the physics route??

― Captain Jack Sparrow
For BS IT, they're accepting Phy 1 and Chem 1.

The Natural World Section requires Physics I Lab, PHY-128 but will allow for Chemistry I with Lab (in addition to PHY-128) to meet section requirements. Which is to say, yes Chem. I with Lab is applicable.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
------------------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BS Physics+Chemistry waiver jch 23 1,618 11-29-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Natural Sciences/Mathematics Clarification ACR1200 14 1,169 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Clarification on “free” add-on Associates degree Mccderm 12 1,228 12-27-2022, 09:16 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Coopersmith Chemistry ROYISAGIRL 15 1,743 10-19-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia chem came in as CHE-199 Special Topics in Chemistry Blckbuster 4 712 05-06-2022, 04:24 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Newly approved edX/MicroBachelor program (upper-level chemistry) carrythenothing 14 1,973 01-20-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Clarification on how TESU calculates GPA AZDan 6 1,596 12-27-2020, 01:55 PM
  Chemistry I ROYISAGIRL 3 874 03-10-2020, 12:01 AM
  Need planning advice - cut-off clarification for TESU CarpeDiem8 21 3,033 02-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lacussucceed
  Confused Uni Admissions Counselor Needing Guidance about TESU Transfers PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 7 1,527 05-21-2019, 11:24 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy