Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about enrollment TESU/failing a TECEP
CM1999 Wrote:I just got email confirmation and verified by phone that I wont need to pay the residency waiver AND i can use TECEPs in the May term for residency BECAUSE I was "enrolled" in February ---I signed up for one TECEP exam which I'm taking this month.

So here is my panic question: what if I fail the TECEP? will I then be 'not enrolled' or does it count for enrollment because I paid/took the exam?

I'm being paranoid, I know....but paying the $2000 waiver makes this a deal-breaker for me. Sad

May I know who did you speak to/emailed? I've been trying to get it in writing from TESU that if I register for a May 2016 TECEP now (before April 16), it will apply to my residency requirement. I already have 12 TECEP credits completed/in progress on my academic evaluation and will be taking the Capstone, leaving me just 1 credit short of the requirement. I've been receiving conflicting replies from the Office of Academic Advising and the Office of the Registrar though. The Registrar office told me that since I am not already registered for a TECEP, if I register now it wouldn't count. (But if I register now, it'll still be in the May 2016 term!) Whereas the academic advisors tell me that if I take a TECEP in the May 2016 term it would count. I believe the Registrar staff is in error. Any suggestions who should I direct my messages to?
I sent my question to the Learner Office (can't remember the official name) based on advice from a different TESU employee, and they routed it back to Academic Advising which was frustrating because they gave me the same answer I had been trying to clarify.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
laughter Wrote:May I know who did you speak to/emailed? I've been trying to get it in writing from TESU that if I register for a May 2016 TECEP now (before April 16), it will apply to my residency requirement. I already have 12 TECEP credits completed/in progress on my academic evaluation and will be taking the Capstone, leaving me just 1 credit short of the requirement. I've been receiving conflicting replies from the Office of Academic Advising and the Office of the Registrar though. The Registrar office told me that since I am not already registered for a TECEP, if I register now it wouldn't count. (But if I register now, it'll still be in the May 2016 term!) Whereas the academic advisors tell me that if I take a TECEP in the May 2016 term it would count. I believe the Registrar staff is in error. Any suggestions who should I direct my messages to?

Here is what I sent:
OK...so....what if: (I am scheduled for my first TECEP on April 24.) WHAT IF I go NOW and pay for 6 more TECEPS ---so that I'm enrolled in the May term --and take all of those exams by July. then take my capstone. Would I be "OK" and not have to pay the $2000 waiver?
I would have 3 credits from the TECEP in Apriland then 18 TECEP credits from the May termand then 3 from the capstone.which totals 24.
Would this whole "change" thing then not apply to me?

Response: (I later clarified that I only need 16 and not 24 credits for residency)
Technically, yes. Any TECEP completed in the May term or before counts towards residency. However, any student interested in registering for more than 18 credits in any term must get dean approval.

I don't think it is a good idea to try and take that many credits in one term given that you have not yet completed any TECEPs.

Should you have additional questions, please create a new ticket by sending an email to academicadvising@tesc.edu with your degree program in the subject line. Thank you.

Don Stoltz
Office of Academic Advising
Thomas Edison State University

NOW......when I called to verify that I need 16 and not 24...I was first told (by advising) that the credits wont count because I needed to be enrolled by April 1st for them to count. I told her that what she was saying was conflicting with what I was told in email. She asked for the ticket number and then transferred me to the registrars office. THAT person (registrars office) said that it depended on whether I was already enrolled and, since I signed up for my first TECEP in the February term, that I would be OK. I then called back to the registrars office and talked to another person (because I dont trust what I'm being told!) and they said the same thing....that I would be OK because I was enrolled in the February term and I would be getting the credits in the May term.

which, it sounds like, is the opposite of what you're being told.
SIGH.

so now I'm worried again.
So I have about 4.5 TECEP's (13 credits) to take to satisfy my residency requirements.

I was told I can take as many TECEPs I can in the may term which is good news but is there an outside chance I can register one or two TECEP exam in the current april term?
For thoses of you who have enrolled prior to April 1, you should be fine.
Anyone enrolled after April 1 will not have TECEPS applied for residency.

If you want to take TECEPS, you have two more days for registration, it ends on the 10th.
I would not recommend to try registering near the late registration deadline of April 16.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
From the TESU calendar:

May 2016 Term
Course registration: March 21–April 16, 2016
Late registration: April 17–21, 2016

Term Start Date: May 2, 2016
Deadline for 75% refund: May 8, 2016
Deadline for 50% refund: May 15, 2016
Deadline for 25% refund: May 22, 2016
Midterm Exam Week for select courses: June 13–19, 2016
Final Exam Week for select courses: July 18–24, 2016
Term ends: July 24, 2016
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
Mamasaphire Wrote:I sent my question to the Learner Office (can't remember the official name) based on advice from a different TESU employee, and they routed it back to Academic Advising which was frustrating because they gave me the same answer I had been trying to clarify.

CM1999 Wrote:Here is what I sent:
OK...so....what if: (I am scheduled for my first TECEP on April 24.) WHAT IF I go NOW and pay for 6 more TECEPS ---so that I'm enrolled in the May term --and take all of those exams by July. then take my capstone. Would I be "OK" and not have to pay the $2000 waiver?
I would have 3 credits from the TECEP in Apriland then 18 TECEP credits from the May termand then 3 from the capstone.which totals 24.
Would this whole "change" thing then not apply to me?

Response: (I later clarified that I only need 16 and not 24 credits for residency)
Technically, yes. Any TECEP completed in the May term or before counts towards residency. However, any student interested in registering for more than 18 credits in any term must get dean approval.

I don't think it is a good idea to try and take that many credits in one term given that you have not yet completed any TECEPs.

Should you have additional questions, please create a new ticket by sending an email to academicadvising@tesc.edu with your degree program in the subject line. Thank you.

Don Stoltz
Office of Academic Advising
Thomas Edison State University

NOW......when I called to verify that I need 16 and not 24...I was first told (by advising) that the credits wont count because I needed to be enrolled by April 1st for them to count. I told her that what she was saying was conflicting with what I was told in email. She asked for the ticket number and then transferred me to the registrars office. THAT person (registrars office) said that it depended on whether I was already enrolled and, since I signed up for my first TECEP in the February term, that I would be OK. I then called back to the registrars office and talked to another person (because I dont trust what I'm being told!) and they said the same thing....that I would be OK because I was enrolled in the February term and I would be getting the credits in the May term.

which, it sounds like, is the opposite of what you're being told.
SIGH.

so now I'm worried again.

Hm. Does anyone know if there is someone higher up who can speak on behalf of both the registrar and advising departments? Since their staff are giving contradictory replies.. Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,011 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,678 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,365 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore