Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TESU]New to this, my ultimate goal to get a MS in IT
(08-12-2019, 08:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 03:38 PM)Lightorb333 Wrote: Hello and thank you for viewing my thread,

Let me cut to the chase,

I have decided on TESU to get my Masters of Science in IT,

I have some idea on how the testing out option works but I need to organize which courses I will take to fulfill the requirements.

My questions are:
  • Can I start taking courses and get credits without being registered to the school, so when I finally accumulate enough credits I sign up and then receive my diploma?
  • Do I have to start with getting an associate degree, then bachelors, then masters in order, or can do I get the bachelors then masters. Which way is better? Is it better to receive three degrees? Is their any downsides to doing this? (I assume money)
  • Do I have to take any in-person classes? I have heard something about a capstone I'm not sure what these are.
  • How do I find the exact replacement courses that I can test out on?

Question's and Answers to your questions - what is your budget? do you have tuition assistance?  WGU is a good choice if you're OK with an exclusively online univ.  Especially since the Bachelors provides you IT certs exam costs included in the tuition.  They have a few Bachelors/Masters programs in IT.   Link: https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees.html

If you are adamant in using TESU for the Bachelors, you can finish a Masters in IT (the one you linked).  You can use the Bachelors to Masters option.  You will pay undergrad tuition for 12 credits and pay graduate tuition for the remaining credits.  The 12 credits will also be used towards both the Bachelors and Masters degree.   It all boils down to the cost you can afford.

1) Yes and No.  You can take all the courses you need towards the degree from alternative course providers, the only two courses can't be tested out are the Cornerstone and Capstone.  You do it through TESU and then pay your grad fees.

2) You can start with the Bachelors and move towards the Masters, you can get the Associates FREE en route to the Bachelors, I would get the associates for an ego boost and also to show that you're transitioning from A to B.  You can leave it out of the cv/resume if not needed.

3) There are no in-person classes, these are online courses.  The capstone/cornerstone are 12 week courses with set assignments that can be done without too much class interaction with students/teacher (mentor).  Just get things done before the deadline.  The other courses are self paced, you can take a day to a week, some are quick/others are slow.

4) There is no specific list, you need to find the ones that are equivalent to them.  dfrecore and I have created our own matrix/excel spreadsheets, unfortunately - due to the sheer amount of options, and because so many providers change, or come/go, it's hard to keep that list updated.  Make your own OR, just find the provider of your choice and review their equivalency guide. (That's what I recommended in my Beginners Guide to Cheap College credit in the sticky and wiki).

What you need to do: Decide on your budget, the degree or degrees of choice, your BSIT/MSIT Elective courses for transfer.  It'll all come into play, I highly suggest taking at least 16 to 18 credits through TESU so you don't need to waste cash on a residency waiver.  Any other Q's, reply back and I'll give you a blunt yet straight answer.

For an example spreadsheet, review the links to my signature and the posts referenced.  Cheers, have fun and good luck on your educational journey!

Hey, I really appreciate your in-depth response

So if I'm not mistaken,  I can only get credit alternatively from Subjects starting from letter F. on this page https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/it the rest I have to take at TESU online no matter what?

When I do the Bachelors to Masters, how do I get the associates for free? How does that work?

As far as budget, I don't know yet I have to save up with my job, right now I want to start taking courses slowly since I don't have enough money right now to go all out so to speak.

Beside Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, Ed4Credit.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org , Is there anything I should look at?

I live in NJ i don't think i need to worry about residency waiver
(08-12-2019, 09:15 PM)Lightorb333 Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 08:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 03:38 PM)Lightorb333 Wrote: Hello and thank you for viewing my thread,

Let me cut to the chase,

I have decided on TESU to get my Masters of Science in IT,

I have some idea on how the testing out option works but I need to organize which courses I will take to fulfill the requirements.

My questions are:
  • Can I start taking courses and get credits without being registered to the school, so when I finally accumulate enough credits I sign up and then receive my diploma?
  • Do I have to start with getting an associate degree, then bachelors, then masters in order, or can do I get the bachelors then masters. Which way is better? Is it better to receive three degrees? Is their any downsides to doing this? (I assume money)
  • Do I have to take any in-person classes? I have heard something about a capstone I'm not sure what these are.
  • How do I find the exact replacement courses that I can test out on?

Question's and Answers to your questions - what is your budget? do you have tuition assistance?  WGU is a good choice if you're OK with an exclusively online univ.  Especially since the Bachelors provides you IT certs exam costs included in the tuition.  They have a few Bachelors/Masters programs in IT.   Link: https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees.html

If you are adamant in using TESU for the Bachelors, you can finish a Masters in IT (the one you linked).  You can use the Bachelors to Masters option.  You will pay undergrad tuition for 12 credits and pay graduate tuition for the remaining credits.  The 12 credits will also be used towards both the Bachelors and Masters degree.   It all boils down to the cost you can afford.

1) Yes and No.  You can take all the courses you need towards the degree from alternative course providers, the only two courses can't be tested out are the Cornerstone and Capstone.  You do it through TESU and then pay your grad fees.

2) You can start with the Bachelors and move towards the Masters, you can get the Associates FREE en route to the Bachelors, I would get the associates for an ego boost and also to show that you're transitioning from A to B.  You can leave it out of the cv/resume if not needed.

3) There are no in-person classes, these are online courses.  The capstone/cornerstone are 12 week courses with set assignments that can be done without too much class interaction with students/teacher (mentor).  Just get things done before the deadline.  The other courses are self paced, you can take a day to a week, some are quick/others are slow.

4) There is no specific list, you need to find the ones that are equivalent to them.  dfrecore and I have created our own matrix/excel spreadsheets, unfortunately - due to the sheer amount of options, and because so many providers change, or come/go, it's hard to keep that list updated.  Make your own OR, just find the provider of your choice and review their equivalency guide. (That's what I recommended in my Beginners Guide to Cheap College credit in the sticky and wiki).

What you need to do: Decide on your budget, the degree or degrees of choice, your BSIT/MSIT Elective courses for transfer.  It'll all come into play, I highly suggest taking at least 16 to 18 credits through TESU so you don't need to waste cash on a residency waiver.  Any other Q's, reply back and I'll give you a blunt yet straight answer.

For an example spreadsheet, review the links to my signature and the posts referenced.  Cheers, have fun and good luck on your educational journey!

Hey, I really appreciate your in-depth response

So if I'm not mistaken,  I can only get credit alternatively from Subjects starting from letter F. on this page https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/it the rest I have to take at TESU online no matter what?

When I do the Bachelors to Masters, how do I get the associates for free? How does that work?

As far as budget, I don't know yet I have to save up with my job, right now I want to start taking courses slowly since I don't have enough money right now to go all out so to speak.

Beside Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, Ed4Credit.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org , Is there anything I should look at?

If you are doing TESU bachelors to masters an associate isn't really necessary and I don't know what the point would be. The way to get it for free would be meeting the requirements for an associates degree along the way as well as a bachelors. I would just only do this if it happens naturally (as sometimes it does) but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it happen.

I would recommend CLEP tests and DSST if you are close to a test center and/or have prior knowledge of the subject.

CSM learn is an amazing way to learn math, ALEKs as well.

Davar is good for business courses and only $100 for two courses.

The residency wavier has nothing to do with where you live. It has to do with taking 16 credits at TESU or not. If you take 16 credits at TESU no waiver is needed. If you don't you have to pay $2800. You automatically have to take 6 credits at TESU so that would be 10 more or 3-4 courses.
(08-12-2019, 09:15 PM)Lightorb333 Wrote: So if I'm not mistaken,  I can only get credit alternatively from Subjects starting from letter F. on this page https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/it the rest I have to take at TESU online no matter what?

You can earn alt credit (test out) for Section I: A-F, except for SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy.  

Actually there are a few of those AOS courses for the BSIT now available through alternative credits - more than a few overlap with the requirements for the BSCS. Off the top of my head COS-213:C++ Programming - SL (LL) & Project Managmentment - SDC (UL), and there are others as well. 

The TESU BSCS is now alternative credit friendly - have you considered this as your bachelors over the BSIT? - https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/computer-science

Being that you are in NJ it makes sense you choosing TESU for at least one of your degrees bachelor or masters - it's nice to have a 'hometown' school in the mix on your resume. As far as the residency waiver that has nothing to do with being in NJ, it is all about how many credits you have earned directly with the school. https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

No, it is absolutely not correct that you can only test out of things starting with section F.

Residency waiver has nothing to do with where you live, it's about how many credits you take at TESU.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch