Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Non Western History HELP
Hi Everyone,

Last week TESU told me that the History of the Soviet Union DSST is no longer accepted for Non-Western requirement. I was told that the following 2 classes are accepted;

African History and Culture (TESU HIS-301)
The Middle East (TESU HIS-310)

Does anyone know where I can get these classes outside of TESU or are there any other classes that will fulfil the Non-Western History requirement at TESU?

As always thank you for your help!  Smile 
I am not sure that this response from TESU is correct. I have the non-western slot planned with the "History of the Soviet Union" DSST in the system right now. I took the test last month but the transcripts are still "in the mail" from DSST.

This may have been an issue because the DSST accreditation from ACE was showing expired for the last 2 months. I called and spoke to DSST multiple times because ACE showed that this test expired on October 30th 2020. However, I just noticed this morning that the test has been updated to expire on January 31st 2021 (now showing on the ACE website). From talking to DSST, I believe that they are pursuing the longer renewal but it is taking time due to Covid-19.

I am hopeful that you received that response because TESU was unwilling to accept the credit when it was expired. I would hypothesize that they would still accept a DSST when it is during the accredited period.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bearduke's post:
  • Flelm
(01-13-2021, 12:11 PM)Bearduke Wrote: I am not sure that this response from TESU is correct. I have the non-western slot planned with the "History of the Soviet Union" DSST in the system right now. I took the test last month but the results are still "in the mail" from DSST.

This may have been an issue because the DSST accreditation from ACE was showing expired for the last 2 months. I called and spoke to DSST multiple times because ACE showed that this test expired on October 30th 2020. However, I just noticed this morning that the test has been updated to expire on January 31st 2021 (now showing on the ACE website). From talking to DSST, I believe that they are pursuing the longer renewal but it is taking time due to Covid-19.

I am hopeful that you received that response because TESU was unwilling to accept the credit when it was expired. I would hypothesize that they would still accept a DSST when it is during the accredited period.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense, thank you very much for the info!
You said that TESU no longer accepts the exam to be used in that area, when really the case was probably as Bearduke said, it's not accepted at all right now because it was expired.

So you need to get clarification from them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I found this on a thread by the same title.

dfrecore11,966 Posts 128 Threads
Posting Freak

(07-23-2020, 09:48 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
For TESU, SDC has History 108: History of the Vietnam War (HIS-246 Intro to Vietnam War) and History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War (HIS-351 A History of Vietnam War).

Neither of these count as Non-Western History at TESU.

Not sure about HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900 UExcel exam, you might check.

U of Idaho IS has Hist 180: Introduction to East Asian History for $190/cr (LL unfortunately)

BYU-IS has several UL, for $597/course:
HIST330: Tsarist Russia
HIST331: Soviet Union & Post-Soviet Russia
HIST344: Modern Japan

Your local CC may have a course or two, if prices are good.
I can personally confirm that TESU will not accept any class as non-western which is currently offered at: SDC, Straighterline, CLEP, Sophia, Instacert, Saylor or even as a TECEP. I have completed almost all History courses offered at the above locations, but nothing applied to non-western when transferred... until the DSST for "History of the Soviet Union" was planned.

The SDC's for Vietnam War don't apply because they are about the US' involvement mainly (which is definitely western). The non-western component isn't enough.

I would be surprised if the UExcel was allowed because there are plenty of western conflicts included. This is the only one I haven't taken and I don't need it.

This is why I took the DSST; the only other options were BYU or standard TESU classes.

I would suggest readdressing this specific DSST with TESU politely and assume that their response was correct then, but isn't correct now (as of today) since the expiration date was renewed. However, that Soviet Union DSST will still have the same issue unless you either: take the test before the end of January, or you wait until the new renewal/extension comes in. DSST has many other courses that are due for renewal on January 31st, and I believe that this is why ACE did not extend it further than that. It appears that they are going to renew them all at the same time. This is what DSST told me, and History of the Soviet Union was not the only test that was affected (i.e. Intro to World Religions). ACE has a lot going on with the annual renewals in addition to the on-going issues with the Acclaim badges.
Does anyone know if any of the many Jewish history NCCRS courses count for this?
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(01-13-2021, 02:39 PM)Flelm Wrote: Does anyone know if any of the many Jewish history NCCRS courses count for this?

Jewish history apparently counts as Western history for the purposes of TESU's history degree, from what other students have said. The reasoning probably goes something along the lines of ancient Jewish history largely being contained in the Christian Bible and the Christian Bible is Western, thus Jewish history is Western. Post-Biblical Jewish history would generally fall under Roman history and the Roman Empire is Western. 

This may or may not be completely accurate from a historical point of view but I can see that line of reasoning being used for the degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Fair enough. I have no intention of getting a history degree, I just like the puzzle of putting together a plan.

That being said, I wonder about http://www.nationalccrs.org/genesis-univ...st-his-470

I can't decipher the fee structure (it looks like $175 enrollment, then $50/credit: https://www.genesisuniversity.education/tuition/), or if they would enroll a person for a class or two, but... yeah, interesting. They have a lot of education credits as well.

WRONG GENESIS UNIVERSITY LINKED ABOVE
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • rachel83az
I'm not sure about that course because I did not take it or anything from that provider. I would however make sure that TESU has it planned in to the non-western section before I even attempted it, and I would make sure that they planned it as an upper-level credit. It would not be the first time that TESU brought something in as lower level even though the provider said it was upper level.

One thing that is worth noting, plenty of people are also going to need this to be an upper level credit when it transfers in. DSST "History of the Soviet Union" transfers in as upper level, but there are not many options out there that are upper level...It is made harder when you are trying to find something that is non-western also.

Since this question about non-western usually comes up for History degrees, remember that this requirement is in the Area of Studies for the History degree... which means 15 credit hours need to be UL. In my case, I would not meet the 15 hours without this non-western requirement being fulfilled by an Upper-level class.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 216 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 363 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 701 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,113 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 731 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,417 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Milestones at Sophia ( pls need help) US history Sara143 15 4,916 08-10-2023, 05:21 AM
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 664 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 887 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 712 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI