Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Non Western History HELP
FWIW, last week I emailed TESU about the History of the Soviet Union DSST, noting that the ACE website lists it as current through 1/31/21 and asking if it can be applied toward my degree. Today I received a reply that simply said, "The History of the Soviet Union DSST Exam is currently not renewed for credit." So I guess that takes care of that.  Sad

The BYU-IS courses are looking like the best option. Alternately, I may try to bust out an additional UL course at Study.com or something and take a LL non-Western course. Thoughts?
(01-25-2021, 08:25 PM)upshot Wrote: FWIW, last week I emailed TESU about the History of the Soviet Union DSST, noting that the ACE website lists it as current through 1/31/21 and asking if it can be applied toward my degree. Today I received a reply that simply said, "The History of the Soviet Union DSST Exam is currently not renewed for credit." So I guess that takes care of that.  Sad

The BYU-IS courses are looking like the best option. Alternately, I may try to bust out an additional UL course at Study.com or something and take a LL non-Western course. Thoughts?

Again, the advisors at TESU are not saying they don't accept the course, they are saying it's not going to be ACE-recommended for credit soon.

I would ignore them, and either take it before 1/31, or wait for it to be renewed (although you're taking a chance there).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • BrianFallon, upshot
Thanks for the feedback, dfrecore. I actually just spoke with someone from TESU about this, and he said I should have emailed the registrar, not advising. The registrar might give a different (hopefully more favorable) answer, and from what I understand it's the registrar that counts in this case. 

But are testing centers even open at all right now? At the start page for scheduling DSSTs on the Prometric website is says, "At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center." If I try to schedule a test I can't really get anywhere.  Huh
It depends on your state. In AZ, ID and TX they were allowing it by appointment only...and only at some locations. For example, Idaho State was open but with limited seats. In AZ, the only DSST facility that was open was the school/testing center on Luke Air Force base. The actual universities that they're connected to weren't even open on the main campuses. This changes monthly so you have check their website and/or call each place.

On Luke AFB, they were booked weeks/months in advance depending on the day or time you needed. On the plus side, it is very safe. In a 20 computer testing center, I never saw a single other student. I took the test in a huge testing room by myself, and they had multiple computers closed off to allow social distancing even if others were there.

Of course, any military testing center would not be possible for a civilian. Your situation/background/timeframe/drive distance/state will change your potential chances for making this test happen.

(01-26-2021, 01:31 PM)upshot Wrote: Thanks for the feedback, dfrecore. I actually just spoke with someone from TESU about this, and he said I should have emailed the registrar, not advising. The registrar might give a different (hopefully more favorable) answer, and from what I understand it's the registrar that counts in this case. 

But are testing centers even open at all right now? At the start page for scheduling DSSTs on the Prometric website is says, "At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center." If I try to schedule a test I can't really get anywhere.  Huh

You need to go to https://www.getcollegecredit.com/search/ to find an appropriate testing center.  You will not be taking "History of the Soviet Union" at a Prometric location (regardless of when/if Covid conditions permit).  They only offer the top 10 tests at Prometric locations, and your desired test isn't included.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bearduke's post:
  • upshot
(01-26-2021, 01:31 PM)upshot Wrote: Thanks for the feedback, dfrecore. I actually just spoke with someone from TESU about this, and he said I should have emailed the registrar, not advising. The registrar might give a different (hopefully more favorable) answer, and from what I understand it's the registrar that counts in this case. 

So, my advice is to not email the registrar now, as if you can't take the test, then it doesn't matter if TESU will take it or not; and then when things open up, to check ACE to see what's going on with the exam, and if it's renewed, THEN contact the registrar.

I'd also start saving up my pennies to take a BYU-IS course just in case.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • upshot
(01-26-2021, 01:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 01:31 PM)upshot Wrote: But are testing centers even open at all right now? At the start page for scheduling DSSTs on the Prometric website is says, "At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center." 
So, my advice is to not email the registrar now, as if you can't take the test, then it doesn't matter if TESU will take it or not; and then when things open up, to check ACE to see what's going on with the exam, and if it's renewed, THEN contact the registrar.

I'd also start saving up my pennies to take a BYU-IS course just in case.

First, I agree with your advice dfrecore.  This is considered one of the toughest CLEP/DSST tests, and scheduling a test...studying...and taking the test before 1/31 would be very difficult.  I would plan on studying and taking the test once this exam's ACE renewal is processed (which DSST told me they would be pursuing).

I believe that there is a misunderstanding here though.  upshot is not understanding how to correctly signup and take this exam, and they are referencing a Prometric comment that is irrelevant to the "History of the Soviet Union" test.  I mentioned in my previous post, but this test is not offered at any Prometric site regardless of the pandemic.  

upshot will need to find, contact and schedule directly with an institution who offers the exam.

upshot - you should be careful to not misunderstand the difference between "At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center" and "Please note that many colleges and universities that administer DSST exams are temporarily closed due to COVID-19 and are not currently available for testing."  Both of these messages are on the same site right now and only the 2nd message applies to you and this test.  Prometric testing sites are just one other option vs going to a listed university testing center when you are needing a Top 10 exam.  In your case..."many" but not all colleges and universities are closed; the DSST is putting a general disclaimer so they don't have to actively manage the open/closed schedule of each place.  All non-Prometric sites have a phone number or website for their testing center which they will use to book exams at their own individual location only; there is not a single booking tool across all locations in the US (except Prometric locations).
Quote:I believe that there is a misunderstanding here though.  upshot is not understanding how to correctly signup and take this exam, and they are referencing a Prometric comment that is irrelevant to the "History of the Soviet Union" test.  I mentioned in my previous post, but this test is not offered at any Prometric site regardless of the pandemic.  

upshot will need to find, contact and schedule directly with an institution who offers the exam.

upshot - you should be careful to not misunderstand the difference between "At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center" and "Please note that many colleges and universities that administer DSST exams are temporarily closed due to COVID-19 and are not currently available for testing."  Both of these messages are on the same site right now and only the 2nd message applies to you and this test.  Prometric testing sites are just one other option vs going to a listed university testing center when you are needing a Top 10 exam.  In your case..."many" but not all colleges and universities are closed; the DSST is putting a general disclaimer so they don't have to actively manage the open/closed schedule of each place.  All non-Prometric sites have a phone number or website for their testing center which they will use to book exams at their own individual location only; there is not a single booking tool across all locations in the US (except Prometric locations).
Thank you very much, this clears things up considerably! I'll definitely look into scheduling a test. I already have a strong background in Soviet history, so studying shouldn't be too big of an issue.

I just got a reply from the registrar's office. They're on the ball today! They recommended that I wait to take the test until its status with ACE is clarified, and that they have contacted ACE about the situation and are waiting to hear back from them.
(01-26-2021, 02:44 PM)upshot Wrote:
Quote:I believe that there is a misunderstanding here though.  upshot is not understanding how to correctly signup and take this exam, and they are referencing a Prometric comment that is irrelevant to the "History of the Soviet Union" test.  I mentioned in my previous post, but this test is not offered at any Prometric site regardless of the pandemic.  

upshot will need to find, contact and schedule directly with an institution who offers the exam.

Thank you very much, this clears things up considerably! I'll definitely look into scheduling a test. I already have a strong background in Soviet history, so studying shouldn't be too big of an issue.

I just got a reply from the registrar's office. They're on the ball today! They recommended that I wait to take the test until its status with ACE is clarified, and that they have contacted ACE about the situation and are waiting to hear back from them.

FYI, the  "History of the Soviet Union" exam from DSST has been renewed and I would assume you should be able to take this test for your "non-western AOS" again (once approved by TESU). I would still recommend that you wait until tomorrow to call and discuss any plans with the college though. Here's why:

DSST renewed the exam way back in November 2020, but there is a discrepancy caused by the systems change over at ACE (the website still shows it expired on January 31st 2021). ACE is apparently having an issue where input changes are not showing up on the public facing side. I spoke to ACE on the phone, and they confirmed that the IT team received an escalation ticket today asking them to push the update again for DSST exams.

Once they manually update the DSST exams on the ACE website, it will show that History of the Soviet Union is renewed until October 31st 2025. Anyone from TESU that calls ACE to verify would already be able to confirm that... they just can't see it online. The person I spoke to also mentioned that there are a few other DSST exams that are having the same problem, and they will also be updated. I would not expect the escalation to be fixed today, but you should be able to see it in a day or two.

Also, it is very important to note that DSST only submitted the renewal for the SQ471 and SR471 versions of this specific exam title. That means that all previous versions that expired back in January 2020 are still expired. I would warn you that if your testing center unknowingly gives you the wrong version, the school will not accept the credit. The problem is that you (as the student) are not usually aware of the test version you are taking (the system still does not show you even after you receive the results). In my case, I was given the SN471 version almost 11 months after the exam version expired, but I had no way of knowing what version I was taking or that it was expired. I only found out when TESU refused to take it last month. Most people would assume that the testing center would not give them an expired exam, and they would also assume that DSST would not have the expired exams loaded in the system that presumably rotates what each student gets. That is wrong to assume. I'm not sure if it's possible, but you should ask at the start of your exam what version it is, and if the administrator can see it... I would now never agree to sit anything other than SQ471 or SR471. 

ACE is willing to review (and approve if acceptable) the other 4 versions which DSST didn't send for renewal, but the first step is for DSST to submit those expired versions through the renewal process.

Sorry for the long follow-up post, but there is a lot of nuance here which would not be visible to an unknowing student. Hope that it helps someone avoid a ton of issues and stress after already taking one of the hardest exams.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bearduke's post:
  • dfrecore, upshot
Thanks for that helpful information, Bearduke. Sorry you had to deal with that issue with the test version, and I hope that all works out for you.

I just got an email from TESU about the recommendation renewal of this DSST. The ACE page for it is <https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pages/Course.aspx?org=DSST+by+Prometric&cid=d47d19cb-7777-eb11-a812-000d3a3bd399>. The bad news is that as of 2/1/2021 the credits are LL, and according to the TESU email any exams taken after that date will be given LL credit. Still, it's nice to have the situation straightened out. The email also stressed the importance of taking the correct versions of the exam (SQ471 or SR471).
You're correct. Once the test showed the correct renewal date on ACE, the recommendation was changed to LL. It is definitely unfortunate, and will probably require most new students to pick up another UL in the AOS Elective section in order to meet the 15 UL credit requirement in the AOS (out of 30 total in the area of study for History majors).

By my count, most History majors using non-TESU courses will have 4 courses from study.com that are UL and fill the various requirements (Historiography & Historical Methods, American Civil War Era, Causes and Effects of Vietnam War, Holocaust and World War II). This leaves you 3 credits short of the UL requirement.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 260 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 373 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 711 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,123 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 740 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,435 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Milestones at Sophia ( pls need help) US history Sara143 15 4,940 08-10-2023, 05:21 AM
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 667 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 900 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 720 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI