Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU/Personal Finance
One of my younger teens received the Study.com scholarship. Seeing multiple posts by people who said they completed the course in a matter of a few days, I was optimistic that he could do that & move on to a course he wanted to study.

Well... I think one thing I should have kept in mind when reading forum posts was the experience level and age of posters reviewing the courses here.

It literally took him almost the full three months to finish the Personal Finance course. He passed it, but just about *every single topic* was new to him. New as in he hadn't ever even read an article about it. So for him every lesson was learning completely from scratch, rather than the background info that I am guessing most adults have, even if they don't realize it. And he isn't a fast reader, so some of the lessons that were all transcripts (no videos) took extra long to cover. This was also his first alternative credit situation. In fact, because of this rather overwhelming experience, he is hesitant to even take another Study course.

So for the study.com employees who have possibly read how "easy" their courses are, and might perhaps be feeling like things should be made more difficult -- remember that for those who are traditional students, or are younger, and any student who is not an adult-student with years of life experience, these ACE credit-approved courses are probably plenty difficult.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Yeah, most of us here have had to deal with loans, mortgages, interest, taxes and investments. We tend to treat personal finance as a gimme. For a teen or even a young adult, it would all be new.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
You bring up a good point, and it's something I've noticed being a young degree seeker myself with no traditional business/job experience, that a lot of reviews of (especially) business courses are by people who already have some kind of experience in the business world.

That being said, I'm 22 and found this course easy, even with no actual life experience with the world of finance as far as loans, taxes, investments, etc. Growing up, I guess I picked a lot of it up by osmosis. One of the benefits of being "that nerdy kid" lol. Also my parents encouraged us kids to understand what was going on around the world, and a LOT of that involves finance, economics, etc.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
keepsingin Wrote:You bring up a good point, and it's something I've noticed being a young degree seeker myself with no traditional business/job experience, that a lot of reviews of (especially) business courses are by people who already have some kind of experience in the business world.

So many times, people come on here and ask "how easy is the Marketing CLEP exam?" or "how quickly can I test out of Intro to Business?" I always say, there is no way for us to be able to tell you how easy or hard, or quick something will be, when we don't know you. It just completely depends on what kind of life experience you have, what your test-taking abilities are, what kind of work you do, what classes you may have taken in college, etc. Everyone is so different, that I always hesitate to tell someone "oh, that is SO easy, you can finish it in a week!" (How many times have people said this about ALEKS courses??? It's a ridiculous assertion to make, and I think more harmful than helpful).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Mamasaphire Wrote:One of my younger teens received the Study.com scholarship. Seeing multiple posts by people who said they completed the course in a matter of a few days, I was optimistic that he could do that & move on to a course he wanted to study.

Well... I think one thing I should have kept in mind when reading forum posts was the experience level and age of posters reviewing the courses here.

It literally took him almost the full three months to finish the Personal Finance course. He passed it, but just about *every single topic* was new to him. New as in he hadn't ever even read an article about it. So for him every lesson was learning completely from scratch, rather than the background info that I am guessing most adults have, even if they don't realize it. And he isn't a fast reader, so some of the lessons that were all transcripts (no videos) took extra long to cover. This was also his first alternative credit situation. In fact, because of this rather overwhelming experience, he is hesitant to even take another Study course.

So for the study.com employees who have possibly read how "easy" their courses are, and might perhaps be feeling like things should be made more difficult -- remember that for those who are traditional students, or are younger, and any student who is not an adult-student with years of life experience, these ACE credit-approved courses are probably plenty difficult.

How old is your son? How much time did he spend on it each day? I think the people posting on here (like myself) do a lot of the lessons each day. Then study up and take the final. Personally I was averaging a week a course, but I was also putting in 5-6 hours a day.

You are right though not everyone can cram a course in a few days and take a final. And yes for me I'm 31, and have had a good amount of experience with most of the courses I took already. I think the two I took about 90% cold where Applied Managerial Accounting and the Globalization & International Management.

dfrecore is right when she says everyone is different and no one can tell anyone how quick or long a course will take them. I'm glad that you have your son already working on college credits, I wish I had that same chance I wouldn't be 31 with no degree if I knew about these types of credit while I was working for Time Warner Cable. I had money while I was working there so that wasn't a issue, but I didn't have much time on my hands so B&M wasn't an option for me. I didn't even know about CLEP and DSST until early 2015. Still didn't take my first CLEP till Early 2016. Once I got those first credit the sense of accomplishment took over me and now I can't stop.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Yeah was easy for me. However I have been in the military, bought a couple of cars, rented an apartment for years, had several different types of health insurance, do my own taxes every year, held professional jobs including jobs that deal with insurance, etc..

Study.com gives you 3 months to do it. Personal Finance would take would a semester if you took it at a traditional college. So he still finished it in a realistic amount of time.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
keepsingin Wrote:You bring up a good point, and it's something I've noticed being a young degree seeker myself with no traditional business/job experience, that a lot of reviews of (especially) business courses are by people who already have some kind of experience in the business world.

That being said, I'm 22 and found this course easy, even with no actual life experience with the world of finance as far as loans, taxes, investments, etc. Growing up, I guess I picked a lot of it up by osmosis. One of the benefits of being "that nerdy kid" lol. Also my parents encouraged us kids to understand what was going on around the world, and a LOT of that involves finance, economics, etc.

Haha, yes being nerdy can definitely be a benefit Wink He's really into STEM and various kinds of programming... however, apparently we don't discuss finances/economics much around the home. I think we may need to work on that!

Synicaal Wrote:How old is your son? How much time did he spend on it each day? I think the people posting on here (like myself) do a lot of the lessons each day. Then study up and take the final. Personally I was averaging a week a course, but I was also putting in 5-6 hours a day.

Yes, you are right. He just turned 14, so very young. He is academically advanced, but not gifted. He was doing this along with his other school subjects, and spending about 3-4 hours/weekday on it with all the research on the topic he had to do elsewhere in order to actually learn the topic. I've thought often that study.com courses are more of a very basic intro or review level. For me, just about every course I took through them was a review of what I had learned elsewhere. That's the benefit of years of background learning.

OakLakeNC Wrote:Study.com gives you 3 months to do it. Personal Finance would take would a semester if you took it at a traditional college. So he still finished it in a realistic amount of time.

Thank you for mentioning that! It's a good way to look at it.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
davewill Wrote:Yeah, most of us here have had to deal with loans, mortgages, interest, taxes and investments. We tend to treat personal finance as a gimme. For a teen or even a young adult, it would all be new.

Good point! Definitely new. As an example, I realized that while we sat down and showed our older children how to use a checkbook, we now do 90% of our banking online and teen bank accounts around our area only give debit cards (!!), so we've never shown this child how to use a checkbook.

dfrecore Wrote:So many times, people come on here and ask "how easy is the Marketing CLEP exam?" or "how quickly can I test out of Intro to Business?" I always say, there is no way for us to be able to tell you how easy or hard, or quick something will be, when we don't know you. It just completely depends on what kind of life experience you have, what your test-taking abilities are, what kind of work you do, what classes you may have taken in college, etc. Everyone is so different, that I always hesitate to tell someone "oh, that is SO easy, you can finish it in a week!" (How many times have people said this about ALEKS courses??? It's a ridiculous assertion to make, and I think more harmful than helpful).

Yes!!!! Exactly!! And unfortunately with any online community, usually only the boldest speak up (both the very intelligent/confident, and the needy/desperate), so it's actually a little more difficult to get a feel for how long an average student (especially young and/or inexperienced) might take.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Wow yeah finance courses will be tough at 14, it is all very new at that age but a excellent time to start learning it. I wish him the best of luck along the way!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Wow yeah finance courses will be tough at 14, it is all very new at that age but a excellent time to start learning it. I wish him the best of luck along the way!

Thank you Synicaal!!
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 373 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 711 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,428 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 948 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 895 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 719 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,202 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,935 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455
  TESU, UMPI, EU, COSC and WGU students reen967 8 1,539 10-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: reen967
  Sophia - principals of finance or financial accounting? cclocks8 10 1,753 09-28-2022, 11:44 PM
Last Post: ashkir