Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indecisive cs/chemistry
So I have been working on general ed classes and I have only completed 2 so far and was going to try and complete the cs degree at tesc, and although i am very much interested in computer science i love chemistry more. Im thinking I would rather learn cs related topics on my own as a hobby.. the only reason I chose cs was because none of the big 3 offer a chemistry degree...But I was thinking If i test out of tesc ba in natural science and mathematics would that allow me to get into a masters program for chemistry at another university?
This is ancient history, but when I attended college after highschool, I was a chemistry major who was very interested in computers as a hobby.

If you eventually want a masters degree in chemistry, I would recommend you look into a more traditional school. I think it will be very hard to get the lab time you will need through a test-out degree from TESU to get accepted or even have the skills necessary to make it through a masters program. Its more than just taking courses with labs. Most schools will have things like Junior / Senior seminar, advanced lab courses, advanced / special topics courses that are geared towards preparing someone for graduate work. Then there is the Chemistry GRE that may or may not be required.

You could do an Associates from TESU and knock out a bunch of pre-reqs. Phsyics I & II w/ Lab, Math through Calc II, Gen Eds, etc. Maybe take some of the lab courses at a local CC to get the labs and transfer them to TESU.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I have taken several classes at my local community college but its hard because I work grave-yard full time. the lab requirements are what made me choose cs at first but through this forum i found that university of new England offers chemistry, biology and physics online with labs online as well. I would test out of all general ed classes and do the labs at university of new England online. maybe this would work? if not then maybe i should stick with cs
Student00 Wrote:I have taken several classes at my local community college but its hard because I work grave-yard full time. the lab requirements are what made me choose cs at first but through this forum i found that university of new England offers chemistry, biology and physics online with labs online as well. I would test out of all general ed classes and do the labs at university of new England online. maybe this would work? if not then maybe i should stick with cs

I suppose you could get the BS in Natural Sciences/Mathematics and make chem your concentration. That might be sufficient for a masters program, but I think you need some expert advice on this one. I'd start at the other end, and look for chem masters programs you would want to do, and see what they have to say about your degree plans. If the answer is that you MUST have a chem degree, then at least you'd know.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I agree with Davewill, this is a case of "begin with the end in mind." Go research masters in chem programs to see what the requirements are. Make sure that you can meet those requirements. Then, figure out if it will fit with a BA in NatSci at TESU. Don't just spend the money to get that degree without knowing in advance that it's actually going to move you closer to your goal.

I personally wouldn't recommend getting a CS degree if you don't actually want to get one. It's not a cheap degree (can't be tested out of completely, and a lot of the courses are expensive and harder to find), so you're making a lot of work for yourself and spending quite a bit of money to get a degree that you don't really want. Not a good plan.

Don't NOT do what you really want just because it might be more difficult than you expected. Find ways to get what you want. Get an AA at TESU through testing out, that can be transferred to a specific school that you're looking at. Take your pre-reqs online if you need to. But don't just give up, you've barely started researching this.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
In Addition to the Sound advice proffered above, I'd like to Point out that you can't have more than 18 credits of the Nat Sci & Math degree in one subject area, so make sure you plan carefully in advance how you will stash additional chemistry credits as electives (you may also be able to use them in Gen Ed). I didn't major in chemistry, but considered it- at my alma mater, it required 36 credits beyond General Chemistry, which may be a good rough rule of thumb for what you might be expected to have Prior to applying for grad School. You may Need to take courses like Physical Chemistry and Instrumental Analysis in a physical course.
I just seen that charter oak has BS in general studies with a concentration in chemistry. would this give me a better chance?
Student00 Wrote:I just seen that charter oak has BS in general studies with a concentration in chemistry. would this give me a better chance?

Yes, IMHO I think that just looking at the COSC option tells me that it is more line with your ultimate goal - to prepare for a Masters in Chemistry. This concentration forces you into more UL courses with the majority in chemistry similar to a BS or BA in chemistry at a B&M. Additionally, COSC will grant you credits for your performance on the Chemistry GRE It's your GRE ranking that will make or break your acceptance into most masters programs when coming with your prerequisites filled in non-traditional ways. All the advice given in this thread still applies to COSC. Know what program you are shooting for; research their pre-reqs carefully. You will probably find that most schools will accept online theory, but require in-seat labs for at least all the basic science reqs. However, this is beginning to open up a bit with the rapidly improving virtual labs. In Anatomy you don't have t slice up the cats or pigs at my CC. Your credits will not distinguish between the hybrid or fully online offering. But it's not available here in chemistry or physics yet.

Fortunately, COSC is also reputed to be the most advisor friendly, They pride themselves on their grads finding placement in masters programs. Talk to them to find out if they are prepared to guide you toward your goal. Good luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UExcel in General Chemistry I Jonathan Whatley 2 654 05-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  COSC Chemistry Plan amielm 9 928 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  TESC BSAST Physics or Chemistry (6) Credits hahtjh 1 502 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Last Post: hahtjh
  Chemistry @ COSC!!!!! almost4 11 1,286 05-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Last Post: almost4
  TESC - "Physics or Chemistry (6)" - Can this be 3 in each? jam123 7 691 12-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Excelsior Biology- Upper Level Lab- Organic Chemistry mm1988 4 1,029 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Last Post: mm1988