Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Residency Fee Waiver Increase for 2019/2020
(06-30-2019, 07:33 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Looks like doing it twice wouldn't be too much trouble, actually, though that seems to be the maximum.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...extensions

I think the July 1st update makes it a lot harder to get a second.

(06-30-2019, 03:30 PM)udi Wrote: @Ideas @DaveWill @Allvia Oh ... e-pack plus course extension plus a one credit class might be the answer as long as I don't fail any courses. I'm not that worried about textbooks because I can often rent them on Amazon. The other thing is -- I'm not sure how this will work with financial aid.

Yeah, ePack being pass/fail is nice to save time. I wish they had a lot more courses available through ePack.

But if I'm paying that much money per credit, I kind of want graded credits.

(06-30-2019, 07:33 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Looks like doing it twice wouldn't be too much trouble, actually, though that seems to be the maximum.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...extensions

That seems to be the same policy they had when I took my capstone (I had to extend once because I got really sick towards the end of my course).  It would have been damn near impossible to get a second (which I didn't need or ask for).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
hold on if you read the top it says: Study.com students benefit from having access to in-state tuition rates, regardless of their location. They also get a 10% discount on the Residency Waiver fee and a 5% discount on per credit course tuition. Below are current discounted tuition options for Study.com students and a list of common fees. 

is 2800 include the discount?
(07-02-2019, 11:01 PM)kevro64 Wrote: hold on if you read the top it says: Study.com students benefit from having access to in-state tuition rates, regardless of their location. They also get a 10% discount on the Residency Waiver fee and a 5% discount on per credit course tuition. Below are current discounted tuition options for Study.com students and a list of common fees. 

I agree that this looks wrong.  With a 10% discount on the Residency Waiver, it should be $2,520.

Also, their page where they list the prices is still the old one (if I look up Study.com on TESU's website): https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-03-2019, 01:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 11:01 PM)kevro64 Wrote: hold on if you read the top it says: Study.com students benefit from having access to in-state tuition rates, regardless of their location. They also get a 10% discount on the Residency Waiver fee and a 5% discount on per credit course tuition. Below are current discounted tuition options for Study.com students and a list of common fees. 

I agree that this looks wrong.  With a 10% discount on the Residency Waiver, it should be $2,520.

Also, their page where they list the prices is still the old one (if I look up Study.com on TESU's website): https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/

When I spoke to someone at TESU over the phone she confirmed that there is no longer a Study.com discount on the Residency Waiver Fee (so it would be $2800), but that the tuition rate was still discounted. So, not sure if she was wrong or the website is simply outdated.
And so the rush to 16 credits via flat-rate tuition ensues. I hope my advisor doesn't try to push back on me for taking so many credits at once.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • Ideas
For BALS majors who will be doing the 16 credits in a term plan, PSY-379 would be a good choice for one of your courses. It's 6 credits of upper level, and the guided study version is honestly less work than most of the 3 credit classes I've taken. So it can cover 6 of your credits without two classes worth of work, and eliminates the need for some essays in SDC classes. Obviously, as others have mentioned, ePacks are also a good choice for keeping your workload manageable during the 16 credit term.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • Ideas, udi
While I am not aiming to take 16 credits in all 1 term, with the increase in the residency fee, I am, however, starting to see that pursuing a double major may be more feasible in the end and the best of both worlds. $2800 is a big chunk of change that could instead be applied towards courses, IMHO. It's like flushing money down the drain. I could put some of the Communication AOS courses on financial aid, accrue 16 credits to waive the residency fee, and the added cost of the Psych courses from Study.com would be ~1400.

While I am not a typical double major candidate (I didn't plan ahead and it will cost me a bit more than other students doing this the right way), here's what I've calculated thus far for MY unique costs:

BA in Psychology costs (if pursued by itself):

All courses (including SOS and Capstone): $5,013
Application Fee (had to apply 2x) $150
Residency Waiver Fee $2,800
Graduation Fee $298

TOTAL COST FOR PSYCH DEGREE: $8,261
out of pocket expense ($2274 aid for SOS+capstone): $5987

BA in Communication costs (if pursued by itself):

All courses (including SOS and Capstone): $8,528
Application Fee $150
Residency Waived (taking at least 16 credits, but not all within 1 term) $0
Graduation Fee $298

TOTAL COST FOR COMM DEGREE: $8,976
Out of pocket expense: $3,291

But....

Total cost for double major Bachelor's (Psych + Comm) + ASNAM in Comp Sci = $9,897 

double major difference: -$1,436

financial aid portion: $5,685

out of pocket expense: $4,212

The advantage of using financial aid for 3 comm courses, SOS-110 and Capstone is a plus!!! 

If anyone is interested in how I arrived at those totals, here it is (Note: there are several tabs):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...F1fXh6r3U0

HTH!

Danielle Smile
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Question: If I transfer in a bunch more credits at the under graduate level and I already have a BALS degree from TESU do I need to take an additional 16 credits or just the capstones for the degrees? How would the costs look in this instance?
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(07-10-2019, 08:52 PM)vetvso Wrote: Question: If I transfer in a bunch more credits at the under graduate level and I already have a BALS degree from TESU do I need to take an additional 16 credits or just the capstones for the degrees? How would the costs look in this instance?

If you already graduated, you need 24 new credits (3 of which would include the capstone) that have been earned after the conferral of your degree; and then you would still have to pay the residency waiver for the new degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 698 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,048 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy