Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline, TESU, and Upper Level
you can also take financial accounting, its not UL class but it will go in your area of study.
Done!
bjcheung77 Wrote:People like Straighterline over the endless reading materials provided by Saylor academy. But if you like less homework and test well, Saylor is the ticket.

Seriously those Saylor courses are too long, longer than most undergrad colleges classes. If they would clean up their site/code (horrible) and reduce them to 90hr range or so I think it then would grow more.
So if you study for the Saylor like you would for a CLEP/DSST, is it a decent option? It just so inexpensive to never leave your home Smile
Also, is Penn Foster also just skip to the Final Exam for the grade or do you have to take a full class? thx
jlearn25 Wrote:So if you study for the Saylor like you would for a CLEP/DSST, is it a decent option? It just so inexpensive to never leave your home Smile

Yes, just like studying for any other Proctored exam, either remotely in a test center or at home with ProctorU.
Find comparable course materials and also skim through the Saylor readings, practice final, etc...

jlearn25 Wrote:Also, is Penn Foster also just skip to the Final Exam for the grade or do you have to take a full class? thx

Penn Foster is a different style of taking classes, it's old school correspondence where everything is using snail mail.
It is Nationally Accredited but some of their courses are ACE Recommend for credit and transfer to TESU as UL.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The test taking process is easy enough with Saylor. The problem is that they dig up their course materials from all over the Internet. Sometimes it's fine, like for Intro to Soc, they had an actual online text book and the course was straightforward. However I used it to study for the environmental ethics TECEP, and it was a nightmare of broken and confused links, redundant reading, and video lectures from a Christian College that were OK, but with "however, we know better" asides I found annoying, not sharing their religion. However the lectures they sourced from Oxford were really good.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Quote:Penn Foster is a different style of taking classes, it's old school correspondence where everything is using snail mail.
It is Nationally Accredited but some of their courses are ACE Recommend for credit and transfer to TESU as UL.

So Penn Foster i need to take a full class or can i skip to the end and take the exam if I wanted? Also, snail mail...you mean all test are not online and proctor on a site for the tests?
jlearn25 Wrote:So Penn Foster i need to take a full class or can i skip to the end and take the exam if I wanted? Also, snail mail...you mean all test are not online and proctor on a site for the tests?

PF - yes you have to take the class. For Financial Management (which is the equivalent at TESU for Principles of Finance), for example, I took 5 non-proctored exams (and you can retake each one for a better grade if you'd like), and then the non-proctored final exam, which I had to print, create a Word document to answer the questions, and then scan and upload it to the website.

For some courses, you have additional work, including a paper, or webinars to watch and comment on, or proctored finals. For the final, you actually have to have them mail it to the proctor, then you take the exam, then the proctor mails it back to the school. But not every course requires this.

Most of the courses can be done very quickly, I was slow and it took me about 13 days to complete. I would spend several hours on day 1 to do the exam, then a couple of hours on day 2 to correct my wrong answers on the exam. For 5 exams, this was 10 days. Then, the final took me longer, because it was harder. But I know people who have taken the course over a weekend. It just depends on your level of comfort with the material. And what grade you want in the class. With my 5 extra days of work on the exams, I got an A in the class. Without it, I would have gotten a B. I probably could have lived with a C and cut down the amount of time I spent on the final. So from 13 days down to maybe 7, and that was only working 2-3 hours per day on it. I suppose I could have done it in 2-3 days if I'd devoted more time per day.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:PF - yes you have to take the class. For Financial Management (which is the equivalent at TESU for Principles of Finance), for example, I took 5 non-proctored exams (and you can retake each one for a better grade if you'd like), and then the non-proctored final exam, which I had to print, create a Word document to answer the questions, and then scan and upload it to the website.

For some courses, you have additional work, including a paper, or webinars to watch and comment on, or proctored finals. For the final, you actually have to have them mail it to the proctor, then you take the exam, then the proctor mails it back to the school. But not every course requires this.

Most of the courses can be done very quickly, I was slow and it took me about 13 days to complete. I would spend several hours on day 1 to do the exam, then a couple of hours on day 2 to correct my wrong answers on the exam. For 5 exams, this was 10 days. Then, the final took me longer, because it was harder. But I know people who have taken the course over a weekend. It just depends on your level of comfort with the material. And what grade you want in the class. With my 5 extra days of work on the exams, I got an A in the class. Without it, I would have gotten a B. I probably could have lived with a C and cut down the amount of time I spent on the final. So from 13 days down to maybe 7, and that was only working 2-3 hours per day on it. I suppose I could have done it in 2-3 days if I'd devoted more time per day.

Does a PF grade go towards the last 60 credits GPA that grad schools look at?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,011 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,678 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,365 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore