Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Bachelor of Professional Studies
(12-17-2018, 03:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 02:53 PM)davewill Wrote: Since the "Specialized/Professional Career Track" choices are listed on the TESU page for the degree and you have to officially choose one to fulfill the requirements of the AOS, I would expect the career track to appear on the transcript, which says to me that I should feel free to list it on my resume. Even if it didn't, I don't see how it would be any kind of lie to state the career track you fulfilled.

When you go to apply for a job online, you are going to have a hard time differentiating between the name of your actual degree, and a "specialized career track".  Sorry, but I don't even want to put that stupid name on my resume.  At that point, it just sounds silly and made up more than BSPS already does.

But hey OP, you do you.  If you think this is a good option, go for it. If you don't, don't.

I might ask several HR managers for companies around your area, and especially in the field you want to work in, if this is a good degree.  Make sure you add that you can have a "specialized career track" on your resume and let me know how impressed they are with that.  As someone who worked in HR, I would equate this to "AA" or something of that nature, and it would not look impressive up against others who have actual degrees, majors, or concentrations, in the same area.

Although it is an old thread, I want to chime in on this one. I am looking at the B.S. in Professional Studies as one of 3 or more additional Bachelor degrees to add to my study completions over time. Currently, I am working on a Masters of Arts in Biblical Studies - OT/Ancient Hebrew Language as leveling for the same in my chosen Ph.D. program. However, as I perform my ministerial work, I continue to study and add to it areas of expertise that no school can offer. As I do this, I am accumulating credit and desire that the work stand for something. I am considering the B.S. in Professional Studies to apply my educational/teaching courses (not including those at the graduate level) to a degree. I believe that it will be an excellent degree to have on my curriculum Vitae and on such, I can specify my area of specialty. The others will be History, Communication, Business Administration, Individualized Studies (at The University of Toledo), and Psychology. These are not mere pursuits, but a record of my work. Thus, where a B.S. in Professional Studies fits what is needed for some people, it is not a stupid degree, and a very wise one when you consider that others have unique needs.

For me, it is nothing that I may lose some credits due to the limited electives because I have already graduated, I am in Graduate School, and would like to have record of my additional work. However, for someone else, they can decide it they desire to spread any additional unused credit to another degree or not; and despite this sacrifice, the benefits for them may be greater to the extent that the lost credit is of no real consequence for what it is they are aiming to achieve especially if this unique degree is the only one that fits their objectives. Having those things (specific courses) on a transcript are important in some fields and in some Graduate Schools (such as specific language courses - but not necessarily a degree in the language, etc). 

Since I am not interested in continual research in these areas of my extended ministries or even working in them beyond how I am using my studies for my ministries, I have chosen not to interrupt my most important profession nor present conflict of study time nor financial hardship by pursuing Master degrees in these areas. However, additional Bachelors (which are low cost for me given my plan of action and completed at times not in conflict with my Graduate studies) will serve me well in my capacity as a future professor and any related work I may do as a Ph.D. My Bachelor degrees will tell the story of my work, interest, and expertise beyond my terminal degrees. Thus, while professional studies degree may (as a degree is better than none) or may not be impressive to some HR staff, it shows that the graduate has an interest, work experience, and academic learning in the areas of concentration/career track (in the case of said degree). Currently, I am admitted to the History Program at TESU and still active at other universities and do believe that the Professional Studies Degree as a second degree, is going to be my best choice for an area of concentration that is hard to place. I can apply my history work to another institution. Thus, I do hope that those who choose this degree respect their own work and not be to affected by those confused by it.

However, I do agree that such a degree for someone who does not possess a higher degree (or is already self-employed or employed), may not make them as competitive as someone with a more concentrated degree in their area of interest. However, it is a stepping stone if it is particularly helpful in comparison to other degrees. As such, it can be used toward a Graduate Degree (as some MBA programs have leveling for core courses such as accounting, etc.; also, the concentration can make acceptance in some programs attractive, etc.) or for entrance into certain industries, such as Insurance (where the degree could make a difference in salary and selection while the company is likely to train the employee for industry specialized work). Nonetheless, nothing done that is worthwhile is ever a waste, it is how you use what you have obtained or gained. In fact, while the Professional Studies Degree does not mimic traditional core concentrations, the variance in subject matters needed for that degree may actually be preferred by some employers. If it fits, it is a great option.
At this point after some changes have been made, most people who want to do business-y stuff without the hard business stuff (stats, econ, finance, accounting) can actually just get a BALS with a concentration/certificate in General Management, HR, or Healthcare Mgmt). There's also the new Organizational Leadership certificate you can add. And you still have your 27cr of Free Electives.

I still say that a BSPS is unnecessarily complicated, and not a great option for MOST people. And with 9cr of Free Electives, it takes out a lot of the flexibility that a BALS offers.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,351 04-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 531 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,236 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 280 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27