Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TESU SOS-110 Update
(02-05-2019, 01:03 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Ask them for a copy of the catalog. Then they can't claim "there's a new one that isn't published". Make them provide the material for your argument, because then you're pitting them not against you but against their own policies. That's my advice.

The current 2018/19 catalog is on the website already.  I would download it and keep it (I did with mine back in 2014/15).  That way, if something changes along the way (like with mine, TECEP's no longer counted for residency, but I still got to take them for residency because of my catalog stating that was the case).

They can change some things, but they can't change the catalog once you're locked in.  It is your contract with the school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-05-2019, 01:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 01:03 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Ask them for a copy of the catalog. Then they can't claim "there's a new one that isn't published". Make them provide the material for your argument, because then you're pitting them not against you but against their own policies. That's my advice.

The current 2018/19 catalog is on the website already.  I would download it and keep it (I did with mine back in 2014/15).  That way, if something changes along the way (like with mine, TECEP's no longer counted for residency, but I still got to take them for residency because of my catalog stating that was the case).

They can change some things, but they can't change the catalog once you're locked in.  It is your contract with the school.

Thanks for the replies and advice, just thought I would mention that SOS-110 is in the Information Literacy slot in my Academic Eval. I guess this means I don't have to take an "Introduction to Religion" class now. 

From the email that TESU sent me they are claiming my "Catalog" is my Academic Evaluation and its list of requirements. From what dfecore said she fought TESU in the past and won, like a lawyer. I don't know if I want to fight them on this. I feel like I am one of just a few people making noise about this. 

I just need to hurry up and graduate and move on. I'm not sure if this is the hill I want to die on, I really need to graduate from a place with "University" in the title if I want to teach English in Japan. Even if you have a bachelors degree the Japanese can pass you over if the name of the institution does not have "University" in the title. They are funny about that. The same might be true in other parts of Asia as well. If that was not an issue then I could just walk away and go to Charter Oak.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(02-05-2019, 02:26 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 01:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks for the replies and advice, just thought I would mention that SOS-110 is in the Information Literacy slot in my Academic Eval. I guess this means I don't have to take an "Introduction to Religion" class now. 

From the email that TESU sent me they are claiming my "Catalog" is my Academic Evaluation and its list of requirements. From what dfecore said she fought TESU in the past and won, like a lawyer. I don't know if I want to fight them on this. I feel like I am one of just a few people making noise about this. 

I just need to hurry up and graduate and move on. I'm not sure if this is the hill I want to die on, I really need to graduate from a place with "University" in the title if I want to teach English in Japan. Even if you have a bachelors degree the Japanese can pass you over if the name of the institution does not have "University" in the title. They are funny about that. The same might be true in other parts of Asia as well. If that was not an issue then I could just walk away and go to Charter Oak.

I certainly didn't fight like a lawyer!  I just sent an email and pointed out something from the catalog (I may have included a screen shot of said catalog) and my eval was fixed.  It was not a huge deal.  OTOH, having to spend 3 months and pay $1100 for a course, rather than 2 hours and $300, IS a big deal, and definitely worth fighting for.  In my world, $800 is a lot of money to just give up on.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Nixi
It's not like you're going to die on this hill. The worst thing that can happen is they say no. Then you're at the same place you are now.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • dfrecore, Nixi
(02-05-2019, 10:54 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: It's not like you're going to die on this hill. The worst thing that can happen is they say no. Then you're at the same place you are now.

EXACTLY!  It's not like you're preparing for a long court battle.  Just getting a copy of your degree requirements from the catalog and sending a nicely worded email with it to several people is all that is required.  It will probably take 5 minutes max to do. If they fix the problem, then you've just spent 5 minutes getting $800 and 3 months of your life back.
My daughter applied today. When she receives her evaluation, if it includes SOS-110 instead of TES-100, she plans to appeal based on the information provided in this thread. For her, the $700+ difference is a big deal. But I understand AwardTour's point of view. Sometimes you just need to move on. I will report back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murdockb's post:
  • AwardTour
I too agree with dfrecore & the others here. If you manage to convince them, you will be saving on both time and money.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Hey guys, to give a little bit of an update I spoke with an adviser today who said that the cornerstone is offered until June, however, the SOS-110 policy change was made at the end of last year and anyone after Jan 1st would have to take the 3 credit course. I mentioned the catalog and website still showing the cornerstone and he said they just have not been updated yet as this was the new policy. Hope this helps for those wondering.
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
(02-06-2019, 11:36 AM)darthweezy Wrote: Hey guys, to give a little bit of an update I spoke with an adviser today who said that the cornerstone is offered until June, however, the SOS-110 policy change was made at the end of last year and anyone after Jan 1st would have to take the 3 credit course.  I mentioned the catalog and website still showing the cornerstone and he said they just have not been updated yet as this was the new policy.  Hope this helps for those wondering.

It's the same thing said above, and I still don't think anyone should take advising's statement as the final word. The catalog should control, not just some apparently unpublished policy that no one can verify. I think some affected student should push back and appeal this. This has worked a few times in the past when TESU has tried to abruptly change things that students have relied on. In particular, TECEPs counting towards residency was extended when people pushed back, and Shmoop courses already taken and sent in were allowed when they were previously being rejected out of hand.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
A couple of years ago, TESU started making changes mid-catalog such as the removal of the Enrolled Options plan, refusal of credits formerly accepted, not counting TECEPS, UL is now LL, etc. Instead of fighting these battles after the fact with less than favorable odds of success, folks need to get admitted, transfer credits in quickly and continuously, and get enrolled in the cornerstone ASAP instead of waiting around. Waiting around can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. Life also happens to us older folks (it did to me) so it's best to expeditiously finish the degree instead of going at a slower pace.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
[-] The following 2 users Like TrailRunr's post:
  • davewill, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch