Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TESU SOS-110 Update
(02-06-2019, 12:27 PM)TrailRunr Wrote: ... Instead of fighting these battles after the fact with less than favorable odds of success, folks need to get admitted, transfer credits in quickly and continuously, and get enrolled in the cornerstone ASAP instead of waiting around. Waiting around can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. ...

Always good advice. However, there will always be people on the wrong side of an arbitrary change like this, so the fight is still required.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-06-2019, 12:31 PM)davewill Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 12:27 PM)TrailRunr Wrote: ... Instead of fighting these battles after the fact with less than favorable odds of success, folks need to get admitted, transfer credits in quickly and continuously, and get enrolled in the cornerstone ASAP instead of waiting around. Waiting around can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. ...

Always good advice. However, there will always be people on the wrong side of an arbitrary change like this, so the fight is still required.

Correct.  If someone only finds out about this forum today, then there is no going back to "should have."  Therefore, we just need to hold TESU accountable to their catalog and written policies.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm 99% sure I mentioned two years ago when I was last active on the forum that folks should be getting admitted, enrolling in a TECEP/cornerstone ASAP to lock the catalog, bringing credits in as they earn them despite transcript fees, etc and not wait around. So the water under the bridge argument isn't totally valid because TESU already has established past history of messing with us mid-catalog and it was mentioned before. Before you give tuition to TESU, it's pretty easy to change the rules of the game with no notice. After you give a few hundred dollars to TESU, the catalog is locked with an enrollment and past/anticipated credits are posted in the eval. Only then you're safe as long as you keep renewing the enrollment once a year with a TECEP, cornerstone, or capstone.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
(02-06-2019, 02:21 PM)TrailRunr Wrote: I'm 99% sure I mentioned two years ago when I was last active on the forum that folks should be getting admitted, enrolling in a TECEP/cornerstone ASAP to lock the catalog, bringing credits in as they earn them despite transcript fees, etc and not wait around. So the water under the bridge argument isn't totally valid because TESU already has established past history of messing with us mid-catalog and it was mentioned before. Before you give tuition to TESU, it's pretty easy to change the rules of the game with no notice.  After you give a few hundred dollars to TESU, the catalog is locked with an enrollment and past/anticipated credits are posted in the eval. Only then you're safe as long as you keep renewing the enrollment once a year with a TECEP, cornerstone, or capstone.

Good points.

Either way, no matter what catalog year you are on... PSA: finish the cornerstone ASAP.
(02-06-2019, 02:21 PM)TrailRunr Wrote: I'm 99% sure I mentioned two years ago when I was last active on the forum that folks should be getting admitted, enrolling in a TECEP/cornerstone ASAP to lock the catalog, bringing credits in as they earn them despite transcript fees, etc and not wait around. So the water under the bridge argument isn't totally valid because TESU already has established past history of messing with us mid-catalog and it was mentioned before. Before you give tuition to TESU, it's pretty easy to change the rules of the game with no notice.  After you give a few hundred dollars to TESU, the catalog is locked with an enrollment and past/anticipated credits are posted in the eval. Only then you're safe as long as you keep renewing the enrollment once a year with a TECEP, cornerstone, or capstone.

Yes, if you're planning on going to TESU, then you should apply and take a TECEP to lock in the catalog.  But that's not what this thread is about at all.

They are changing the degree requirements after the fact - after people have done what they were supposed to do an lock in the catalog.  So this isn't about people not doing what they're supposed to, it's about the fact that TESU isn't holding up their end of the bargain.

If you are a student locking in the 2018/19 catalog, the degree requirements are completely CLEAR: you need to take TES-100 as the cornerstone.  Every degree plan shows it.  There is nowhere in the catalog that says you need to take SOS-110.  TESU is held accountable to the catalog, and can't arbitrarily change requirements once you're enrolled.  The catalog is the contract!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Well they also changed the 100 credits to capstone rule which took effect January 1st. And based what I've seen on this forum I sense TESU will be making some huge changes come July, we shall see.
For clarification, is TESU preventing students who apply after January 1, 2019 from registering, paying, and taking the Cornerstone course, or is TESU academic advising issuing evaluations and degree planning advice stating the new SOS-110 course is required for all applicants after January 1, 2019?

"Any student who applies for admission after January 1, 2019, is required to complete SOS-110, Living in the Information Age. Since you applied on January 25, 2019, you are bound to the catalog requirements in place at the time of the application." <--where exactly is this "catalog requirement" published for inbound students? That would be my primary concern and question. 

I am a bit confused by advising apparently stating that students who have applied after January 1, 2019 are on a different catalog or have this completely new and apparently unpublished degree completion requirement from students who had applied on December 31, 2018? Wouldn't both the December 31, 2018 and the January 1, 2019 student be applying ubnder and bound to the same catalog/contract? I thought the catalog ran from from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019. In other words if a student were to apply today for example, what catalog are they locking in when they enroll into a course...2018/2019, an unpublished 2019- catalog?
(02-06-2019, 03:16 PM)natshar Wrote: Well they also changed the 100 credits to capstone rule which took effect January 1st. And based what I've seen on this forum I sense TESU will be making some huge changes come July, we shall see.

That one isn't as bad since it doesn't change the actual degree requirements, just when you're allowed to register for the course. It could even be construed as following the rule about taking the capstone when the degree is nearly finished that's been stated, but not enforced all along. This cornerstone change is actually changing the requirements for the degree by requiring a course that isn't listed as a requirement in the catalog, and upsetting people's plans to enroll.

(02-06-2019, 03:47 PM)shadowgem Wrote: ... I thought the catalog ran from from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019. In other words if a student were to apply today for example, what catalog are they locking in when they enroll into a course...2018/2019, an unpublished 2019- catalog?

There's really nothing stopping them from having a new catalog starting the first of the year, it's just that they don't seem to have done that...there isn't any such catalog published...or even an addendum. It's also not very nice to do so without any sort of announcement or warning ahead of time.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-06-2019, 03:47 PM)shadowgem Wrote: For clarification, is TESU preventing students who apply after January 1, 2019 from registering, paying, and taking the Cornerstone course, or is TESU academic advising issuing evaluations and degree planning advice stating the new SOS-110 course is required for all applicants after January 1, 2019?

"Any student who applies for admission after January 1, 2019, is required to complete SOS-110, Living in the Information Age. Since you applied on January 25, 2019, you are bound to the catalog requirements in place at the time of the application." <--where exactly is this "catalog requirement" published for inbound students? That would be my primary concern and question. 

I am a bit confused by advising apparently stating that students who have applied after January 1, 2019 are on a different catalog or have this completely new and apparently unpublished degree completion requirement from students who had applied on December 31, 2018? Wouldn't both the December 31, 2018 and the January 1, 2019 student be applying ubnder and bound to the same catalog/contract? I thought the catalog ran from from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019. In other words if a student were to apply today for example, what catalog are they locking in when they enroll into a course...2018/2019, an unpublished 2019- catalog?

I applied this month, and my catalog year says 2019A.
CC: 42 credits
Sophia: 6 Credits
Study: 6 credits
SL: 18 credits
The Institutes: 2 credits
(02-06-2019, 03:16 PM)natshar Wrote: Well they also changed the 100 credits to capstone rule which took effect January 1st. And based what I've seen on this forum I sense TESU will be making some huge changes come July, we shall see.

The 100cr thing is just a policy - there's nothing in the catalog that states that you can take the capstone if you only have 60cr or something like that - so they're not going against the published catalog with this policy.  First accepting, and then later not accepting the capstone for the BSBA was a policy that went info effect mid-catalog, but nothing was in the catalog about it.  Not taking Shmoop any longer is a policy, not in the catalog.

Other things ARE/WERE in the catalog.  Accepting TECEP's as residency credit was in the 2014 catalog, which I was locked into.  They didn't get to decide that it no longer applied to me in 2017 just because they felt like it.  It was part of my catalog, and as long as I continued to be enrolled, then I was locked in that catalog, and those things in it continued.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 729 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch