Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Second Degree
Apparently, you have to complete the capstone course again to obtain a second degree. I got my BA in LS and I'm trying to do the BA in CS, but I was told I would have to retake the capstone course. I think the better option would have been to complete the requirements for both the degrees and then sign up for graduation.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
I can see how frustrating that is, I’m so sorry.

Yes, an approved double major with only 1 capstone appears to be advantageous in many regards, but not available to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Yeah, I would have only had four more courses to finish up, but now I have five. I was really looking forward to avoiding the capstone course and taking the other courses at TESU using the GI Bill to avoid the residency fee this time around.
(07-10-2019, 08:44 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Apparently, you have to complete the capstone course again to obtain a second degree. I got my BA in LS and I'm trying to do the BA in CS, but I was told I would have to retake the capstone course. I think the better option would have been to complete the requirements for both the degrees and then sign up for graduation.
Thanks for clarifying that. I had always suspected this was the case. So sorry you have to go through this now.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
MrBossManJr... Let me guess, you haven't added the BACS into your profile yet? Why not just ask that to be added to your profile. You already know that sometimes the left hand at TESU doesn't correspond to the right hand all that well. See what it says when you check your academic evaluation. If it was a different degree than BACS, it requires a "different" capstone, not when you have the BALS...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
That has always been the case (since they instituted a capstone); each degree requires a capstone. Now, if you do a dual degree (which by definition means 2 degrees in the same school), then you only need the one. But a second degree is one where you already graduated, and you're coming back in to get a second degree, and so you have to do a capstone as part of the 24 new credits required.

You might just be better off getting the CS degree somewhere else, like WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-10-2019, 10:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: MrBossManJr... Let me guess, you haven't added the BACS into your profile yet? Why not just ask that to be added to your profile. You already know that sometimes the left hand at TESU doesn't correspond to the right hand all that well. See what it says when you check your academic evaluation. If it was a different degree than BACS, it requires a "different" capstone, not when you have the BALS...

Oh my bad, I forgot to mention that I e-mailed them and I had an adviser add an academic evaluation. It shows up as an active program under the title "BA.COS1 2nd Degree, B.A. in Computer Science" with the capstone course empty.

(07-10-2019, 11:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: That has always been the case (since they instituted a capstone); each degree requires a capstone. Now, if you do a dual degree (which by definition means 2 degrees in the same school), then you only need the one. But a second degree is one where you already graduated, and you're coming back in to get a second degree, and so you have to do a capstone as part of the 24 new credits required.

You might just be better off getting the CS degree somewhere else, like WGU.

I think I'm going to stick with TESU as I just have five courses remaining versus completing a lot more courses at WGU. I think I have most of the 24 new credits in the form of science and IT courses I have been taking on the side plus the last five courses I have to take.

It just sucks that I'll have to redo the capstone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 257 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 236 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger