Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Simultaneous degrees - Need all credits in AOS or 24?
(09-04-2019, 04:31 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: TESU counts it as 2 degrees, it's why I had to go to COSC for my "second" Bachelors, because TESU doesn't give out 3rd BA's.

I don't know about the diploma part, I haven't received it in the mail yet.

Did you have both programs added into your Academic Program list?

(09-05-2019, 06:35 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: yes, I did them both at the same time. They count it as 2 degrees. I have the credits with them to get another Bachelors already and they said no, I spoke to them about this like 10 times.

if you can get a different answer out of them then good for you, but I can't and I bet OP can't either. Either way, he doesn't have to take 2 capstones

If you have it added into your Academic Program list, then that's the reason you can't have more than two. And that means, you have two BA degrees from them.

(09-05-2019, 07:32 AM)gams007 Wrote: I want to know how is the diploma printed out if they put the double major on it or not. I want to do the BSBA and the BSIT at the same time. Can some one oriented me about how will that comes on written on one diploma from TESU.

You will not be doing a double major, that is two distinct degrees, it won't be on one diploma. It's like doing a BSBA and a BS Data Analytics. You will be doing two degrees from them, therefore, it's two diplomas you will get.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-05-2019, 08:48 AM)natshar Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:35 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: yes, I did them both at the same time. They count it as 2 degrees. I have the credits with them to get another Bachelors already and they said no, I spoke to them about this like 10 times.

if you can get a different answer out of them then good for you, but I can't and I bet OP can't either. Either way, he doesn't have to take 2 capstones

You have to take two capstones if they are from different schools the BA and BS require two different capstones.

That's weird because I had a double BSBA and a BA on my evaluation and they told me I would be able to do all of them.

Can also confirm that two separate advisers have said that this was the case.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Yup, that has always been the case. You can only do a double major in the same school, not a distinct degree from a different school at TESU. For instance, if the person is taking a BA English and a BA History, that can be a double major. Another example, is if someone is doing a BSIT and a BS Tech Studies, that would be a double major. A BSBA and a BSIT are from different distinct schools, so that would be considered two degrees.

Furthermore, to complicate things more - haha, you'll know that you can do a double major if there is only one capstone involved. If there are two different capstones, that will be two degrees, unless of course, you go for a third major in that school... ie, a degree #1 BA English, BA History double major, and BA Psychology by itself or with another double major in say Comp Sci.

My double was English/History, I did one capstone, and TESU has told me a ton of times they count it as 2 degrees and i can't get another bachelor's from them in any subject.

I would be happy to be wrong because I wanted to do another one but I have asked about this at least 10 times.

I guess I can call them and ask, again, but I feel like I know what they're going to say
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

jsh1138, I have two questions actually. As per my previous post, did you have both entered into your academic program list for evaluation? You know, when you go through the What If option it already lists your degrees without the need of clicking the What If option... or if you look into your profile, it lists the two degrees you're pursuing. Were those two degrees showing there? My second question is, are you already done with the requirements of the third major at TESU? You don't need anything more to do?

If I go to "academic evaluation" under "active programs" it listed both of them at the same time, yes

as far as the requirements for the 3rd degree go, i'm pretty sure i have all of them but i'm not at home right now. i'd have go check when i get there. it's possible i'm missing a class or two but i don't remember off the top of my head. i'm current going to school full time at COSC and at another school for something else so i have alot on my plate and the classes kind of run together.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

I am a current student at TESU currently setup for following degree plans:
ASNSM Computer Science
BSBA CIS
BA Computer Science
* plan to either get ASNSM CS + BSBA or BA CS + BSBA

Here is the email I got which is likely canned response they give to a lot of people quote:
"Please note you must complete the degree programs at the same time and must request graduation for the degree programs at the same time otherwise the degree program that remains will be considered a 2ND Degree and you would need to take 12 NEW Credits toward the Associates and 24 NEW Credits toward the Bachelor's Degree Programs."

The main rule I was told by academic advising is that only 9 credits can overlap in the AOS.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think for now I'll focus on the BACS and then add in the BS Cybersecurity before doing the first capstone. Credits for Cybersecurity seem to be easy enough to come by luckily.
(09-04-2019, 03:39 AM)Elitis Wrote: This is probably a pretty simple question that I'm overthinking, but I'm looking into doing two degrees simultaneously and came across the Award of Degrees Policy stating:
Quote:Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study
If I wanted to do the BACS and BSCS for example, would I only need to do 24 credits in the BSCS AOS or would I need to do the complete 60 (AOS + AOS Electives)? I'd imagine I'd need to do the AOS in its entirety but then I'm left to wonder where the 24 credit policy comes into play. Is the policy simply preventing someone from being awarded two degrees with AOS's so similar that no extra work needed to be done? 
I would say it's more to ensure they are getting paid for two degrees. It's all about the money.
(09-06-2019, 07:29 AM)Elitis Wrote: Thanks for the responses everyone. I think for now I'll focus on the BACS and then add in the BS Cybersecurity before doing the first capstone. Credits for Cybersecurity seem to be easy enough to come by luckily.

Do Cybersecurity credits come easy? I'm pretty sure that TESU Cybersecuity degree can't be 100% tested out of. They 54 credits woth of Cybersecuity courses in the core and most of them have specific course numbers. TEEX and study.com course numbers don't line up for most of them, so I'm not sure where you are getting your credit from.

If you are a US resident you might want to consider WGU it would be cheaper for sure, and probably faster and less of headache. You can't do two degrees at once at WGU but you could do one and then come back and do another. Still it probably wouldn't take longer than TESU and if you knew your stuff it might be quicker.

The computer science at TESU is 100% test out friendly. Again WGU would be a cheaper option. But if you aren't a US resident you can't do WGU at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 504 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 448 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 466 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,285 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,221 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 370 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 207 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az