Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Simultaneous degrees - Need all credits in AOS or 24?
This is probably a pretty simple question that I'm overthinking, but I'm looking into doing two degrees simultaneously and came across the Award of Degrees Policy stating:
Quote:Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study
If I wanted to do the BACS and BSCS for example, would I only need to do 24 credits in the BSCS AOS or would I need to do the complete 60 (AOS + AOS Electives)? I'd imagine I'd need to do the AOS in its entirety but then I'm left to wonder where the 24 credit policy comes into play. Is the policy simply preventing someone from being awarded two degrees with AOS's so similar that no extra work needed to be done? 
(09-04-2019, 03:39 AM)Elitis Wrote: This is probably a pretty simple question that I'm overthinking, but I'm looking into doing two degrees simultaneously and came across the Award of Degrees Policy stating:
Quote:Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study
If I wanted to do the BACS and BSCS for example, would I only need to do 24 credits in the BSCS AOS or would I need to do the complete 60 (AOS + AOS Electives)? I'd imagine I'd need to do the AOS in its entirety but then I'm left to wonder where the 24 credit policy comes into play. Is the policy simply preventing someone from being awarded two degrees with AOS's so similar that no extra work needed to be done? 

At one time I was trying to do two degrees and TESU told me that for two bachelors degrees I needed 24 different credits between the two degrees. They didn't tell me where. But there was a limit of (9 credits? I forget the number) that could overlap between the two degrees AOS, so basically the 24 different credits would come from the AOS because of the overlap limit.

But TESU doesn't offer a BSCS and also I'm not sure why you would want to earn a BACS and BSCS anyways thats redundant. 

Also doing two different bachelors degrees would require two capstones. If I were you I'd just focus on bachelors degree at first. A common theme here is beginners want to do a lot of degrees before they even have one degree. Just start working towards one and then add a second one later.

By the way, if you really want a BSCS WGU has one and also WGU is cheaper and potentially faster than TESU. Note that WGU is for US residents only. But if you are one and looking at anything computers IT, etc. for a degree it might be a better option than TESU.
(09-04-2019, 07:08 AM)natshar Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 03:39 AM)Elitis Wrote: This is probably a pretty simple question that I'm overthinking, but I'm looking into doing two degrees simultaneously and came across the Award of Degrees Policy stating:

At one time I was trying to do two degrees and TESU told me that for two bachelors degrees I needed 24 different credits between the two degrees. They didn't tell me where. But there was a limit of (9 credits? I forget the number) that could overlap between the two degrees AOS, so basically the 24 different credits would come from the AOS because of the overlap limit.

But TESU doesn't offer a BSCS and also I'm not sure why you would want to earn a BACS and BSCS anyways thats redundant. 

Also doing two different bachelors degrees would require two capstones. If I were you I'd just focus on bachelors degree at first. A common theme here is beginners want to do a lot of degrees before they even have one degree. Just start working towards one and then add a second one later.

By the way, if you really want a BSCS WGU has one and also WGU is cheaper and potentially faster than TESU. Note that WGU is for US residents only. But if you are one and looking at anything computers IT, etc. for a degree it might be a better option than TESU.
So from your understanding it'd be just the extra 24 (different) credits? i.e 144 credits total, not 240 credits. Gen ed would be waived towards the second degree as well, correct? So, 144 credits instead of roughly 180 credits?

As for BSCS, I meant to say BS in Cybersecurity. Sorry if that was confusing. I was sure I'd seen it abbreviated like that before. Working in IT I see a lot of things that share the same abbreviations, so I assumed that was the case here but on second thought BSCS is definitely BS in Computer Science lol. Probably still a bit redundant to go for a BACS and BS Cybersecurity but CLEP and DSST exams are free for me to take and I have an interest in both so I figured why not go for both. 

I've also already looked into WGU degrees (CS, IT, and Cybersec) and although I like their offerings, being already somewhat established in the IT field, I'd rather just get a degree without also tackling more certifications. Sounds weird to write, but at this point I've already got the certifications I want for the time being and would rather not tackle more entry-level certifications. There's also the fact that it seems I can only transfer up to 90 credits total towards a degree there, while on the other hand I can nearly test-out of the BACS and likely BS Cybersec as well with TESU. I've got pretty strange, particular reasons for going with TESU that probably don't make a whole lot of sense but they're who I'm going with lol.

Definitely appreciate the advice and help though. Thank you.
"Also doing two different bachelors degrees would require two capstones."

i have a double BA from TESU (History/English) and it did not require 2 capstones
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(09-04-2019, 08:36 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: "Also doing two different bachelors degrees would require two capstones."

i have a double BA from TESU (History/English) and it did not require 2 capstones

If it's a double BA, that's usually not two degrees, it's a double-major. Do you have two diplomas?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
TESU counts it as 2 degrees, it's why I had to go to COSC for my "second" Bachelors, because TESU doesn't give out 3rd BA's.

I don't know about the diploma part, I haven't received it in the mail yet.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

(09-04-2019, 04:31 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: TESU counts it as 2 degrees, it's why I had to go to COSC for my "second" Bachelors, because TESU doesn't give out 3rd BA's.

I don't know about the diploma part, I haven't received it in the mail yet.

That's weird. Did you both of your BA's at the same time with the same conferral date? Because if you earned them both at the same time it would be one degree, they would just send would diploma. You would not be allowed to get another BA but you could get a BS or other degree. I talked to TESU about this.

Dual AOS (double major): One type of degree (BA, BS, etc) with two areas of study. Could be done in 120 credits with careful planning.

Two Degrees at the same time: This is where you need 24 different credits between the two degrees. If you are earning them both at once there is no gen eds waived for the second degree. However, you can use the same gen eds for both degrees if you would like. This would take a minimum of 140 credits. Both degrees would have the same graduation date. Like I said, TESU told there must be 24 different credits between the two degrees they said it doesn't matter where, however by default because of the limit of overlap between the AOS most of these 24 credits would come from the AOS.

Earning one degree and then coming back for a second: This is where all gen eds and electives are waived and you just need to do the AOS only. You would need 24 new credits earned after the conferral of the first degree all in the AOS. This also would take a minimum of 140 credits.
yes, I did them both at the same time. They count it as 2 degrees. I have the credits with them to get another Bachelors already and they said no, I spoke to them about this like 10 times.

if you can get a different answer out of them then good for you, but I can't and I bet OP can't either. Either way, he doesn't have to take 2 capstones

I want to know how is the diploma printed out if they put the double major on it or not. I want to do the BSBA and the BSIT at the same time. Can some one oriented me about how will that comes on written on one diploma from TESU.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(09-05-2019, 06:35 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: yes, I did them both at the same time. They count it as 2 degrees. I have the credits with them to get another Bachelors already and they said no, I spoke to them about this like 10 times.

if you can get a different answer out of them then good for you, but I can't and I bet OP can't either. Either way, he doesn't have to take 2 capstones

You have to take two capstones if they are from different schools the BA and BS require two different capstones.

That's weird because I had a double BSBA and a BA on my evaluation and they told me I would be able to do all of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 783 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 170 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP