Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Simultaneous degrees - Need all credits in AOS or 24?
(09-06-2019, 07:29 AM)Elitis Wrote: Thanks for the responses everyone. I think for now I'll focus on the BACS and then add in the BS Cybersecurity before doing the first capstone. Credits for Cybersecurity seem to be easy enough to come by luckily.

I'd recommend adding it now so you can track how your courses are fitting into the second degree. Adding it doesn't obligate you to do anything, or to even finish the second degree at all.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I would at least apply to WGU (it's free!!) and send in your certs, any credits you have and see how far along you are with what you already have. And while you do have to do 30 credits at WGU they aren't like normal college courses, they are self-paced online courses that can be done quickly especially if you know the material. You could finish all 30 credits in just a month or two if you worked at it. Whereas TESU courses are 12 weeks long and can't be sped up.

I'm not sure anyone on this forum has TESU cybersecurity through alternative credit and I don't know if it is possible. I do know people on this forum have done WGU cybersecurity.

If you have your heart set on TESU that's fine but I would at least recommend applying to WGU for cybersecurity, you have nothing to lose.
(09-06-2019, 08:19 AM)JerseyDan Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 03:39 AM)Elitis Wrote: This is probably a pretty simple question that I'm overthinking, but I'm looking into doing two degrees simultaneously and came across the Award of Degrees Policy stating:
Quote:Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study
If I wanted to do the BACS and BSCS for example, would I only need to do 24 credits in the BSCS AOS or would I need to do the complete 60 (AOS + AOS Electives)? I'd imagine I'd need to do the AOS in its entirety but then I'm left to wonder where the 24 credit policy comes into play. Is the policy simply preventing someone from being awarded two degrees with AOS's so similar that no extra work needed to be done? 
I would say it's more to ensure they are getting paid for two degrees. It's all about the money.
Good point.
(09-06-2019, 08:32 AM)natshar Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 07:29 AM)Elitis Wrote: Thanks for the responses everyone. I think for now I'll focus on the BACS and then add in the BS Cybersecurity before doing the first capstone. Credits for Cybersecurity seem to be easy enough to come by luckily.

Do Cybersecurity credits come easy? I'm pretty sure that TESU Cybersecuity degree can't be 100% tested out of. They 54 credits woth of Cybersecuity courses in the core and most of them have specific course numbers. TEEX and study.com course numbers don't line up for most of them, so I'm not sure where you are getting your credit from.

If you are a US resident you might want to consider WGU it would be cheaper for sure, and probably faster and less of headache. You can't do two degrees at once at WGU but you could do one and then come back and do another. Still it probably wouldn't take longer than TESU and if you knew your stuff it might be quicker.

The computer science at TESU is 100% test out friendly. Again WGU would be a cheaper option. But if you aren't a US resident you can't do WGU at all.
May have overestimated how many cybersecurity credits are available through alternative means. Dug a little deeper and it seems using a combination of certifications, SDC, and DSST there's about exactly 24 credits to be had. That said, again, I only need those 24 credits out of the 54 Cybersecurity core credits, right? Maybe I misunderstood before, but it seemed as though the general consensus was for another degree you only need 24 new (different) credits out of however many the second degree's AOS.
(09-06-2019, 11:14 AM)davewill Wrote:

I'd recommend adding it now so you can track how your courses are fitting into the second degree. Adding it doesn't obligate you to do anything, or to even finish the second degree at all.
Good to know. I was unaware of that.
(09-06-2019, 12:24 PM)natshar Wrote: I would at least apply to WGU (it's free!!) and send in your certs, any credits you have and see how far along you are with what you already have. And while you do have to do 30 credits at WGU they aren't like normal college courses, they are self-paced online courses that can be done quickly especially if you know the material. You could finish all 30 credits in just a month or two if you worked at it. Whereas TESU courses are 12 weeks long and can't be sped up.

I'm not sure anyone on this forum has TESU cybersecurity through alternative credit and I don't know if it is possible. I do know people on this forum have done WGU cybersecurity.

If you have your heart set on TESU that's fine but I would at least recommend applying to WGU for cybersecurity, you have nothing to lose.
Looked into WGU (again) for Cybersecurity and I just can't get over passing certification exams being the deciding factor in whether or not you get credit. As I said before in this thread, I love the idea itself and have nothing against WGU. For someone just getting started in IT, working on a degree and certifications at the same time is great but for myself having a dozen entry-level certs does absolutely nothing for me. Some of those certs are widely unknown as well.

That said, I did give COSC and Excelsior's Cybersecurity degrees another look and now I'm torn.
(09-06-2019, 09:55 PM)Elitis Wrote:

Do Cybersecurity credits come easy? I'm pretty sure that TESU Cybersecuity degree can't be 100% tested out of. They 54 credits woth of Cybersecuity courses in the core and most of them have specific course numbers. TEEX and study.com course numbers don't line up for most of them, so I'm not sure where you are getting your credit from.

If you are a US resident you might want to consider WGU it would be cheaper for sure, and probably faster and less of headache. You can't do two degrees at once at WGU but you could do one and then come back and do another. Still it probably wouldn't take longer than TESU and if you knew your stuff it might be quicker.

The computer science at TESU is 100% test out friendly. Again WGU would be a cheaper option. But if you aren't a US resident you can't do WGU at all.
May have overestimated how many cybersecurity credits are available through alternative means. Dug a little deeper and it seems using a combination of certifications, SDC, and DSST there's about exactly 24 credits to be had. That said, again, I only need those 24 credits out of the 54 Cybersecurity core credits, right? Maybe I misunderstood before, but it seemed as though the general consensus was for another degree you only need 24 new (different) credits out of however many the second degree's AOS.

24 credits is the minimum of different (or new) credits between the two degrees. Of course, you must still meet all the degree requirements to graduate. Since TESU cybersecurity degree requires 54 you need to earn those 54 credits in some way, whether if overlaps with your computer science degree or not. And it also requires 6 cybersecurity electives which are more specific than computer science elective. That means 60 credits worth of cybersecurity credits total. What makes things tricky is unlike computer science where is room for "computer science electives" and also for the whole computer science degree the exact courses don't matter. But for cyber must take the exact course numbers it shows in the degree requirements. While there are some Cybersecurity courses through study.com, DSST and don't forget TEEX they might not match the exact courses needed for the degree. Also, I'm not sure how it works for credit for the certifications but I'm pretty sure TESU isn't as generous and doesn't give as much credit for certs compared to WGU especially since most certs don't give ACE credit. Also CSU global self-study might have cybersecurity courses but they are kind of expensive compared to other options (around $250 each I think) and you'd have to check to see how they transfer.

All I'm suggesting is you simply apply to WGU (since its free) maybe they give a lot of credits for the certs you already have and just evaluate your options more clearly. If you have the money apply to COSC and Excelsior as well but those aren't free to apply.

You've got 21 credits that can be done:

1. SDC Computer Science 110: Introduction to Cybersecurity (or study.com Computer Science 202: Network and System Security) both transfer as CYB-120 Introduction to Cybersecurity
2. SDC Computer Science 331: Cybersecurity Risk Analysis Management CYB-322 Cybersecurity Risk Analysis and Management
3. SDC Computer Science 332: Cybersecurity Policies and Management CYB-323 Cybersecurity Policies, Programs and Compliance
4. SDC Computer Science 107: Database Fundamentals ITS-130 Database Fundamentals
5. SDC Computer Science 108: Introduction to Networking ITS-140 Introduction to Networking
6. SDC Computer Science 204: Database Programming ITS-231 Database Programming
7. TEEX ARW177 Information Risk Management- will transfer in as TESU CYB-421

https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs-cybersecurity

The DSST doesn't seem to fit anywhere. You would still need 39 more credits in cybersecurity not sure how you'd get it and the course numbers have to match. Like I said before the computer science degree is easier because the course numbers don't have to match but for cybersecurity they do.

For certs:

You've got 18 new credits which brings you up 36 credits:

- Certified Ethical Hacker Certification comes in as CYB-320
- Cisco CCNA Routing/Switching comes in as ITS-240
- CompTIA Security+ Certification comes in as CYB-220
- Linux Exam 010-150: Linux Essentials comes in as ITS-261
- Oracle Exam #1Z0-071: Database SQL comes in as ITS-231
- Oracle Exam #1Z0-808: Java SE 8 Programmer I comes in as ITS-150

Duplicates from study.com:

CompTIA Network+ Certification comes in as ITS-140 (duplicates with with study.com)
MS Certification Exam #98-364: Database Fundamentals comes in as ITS-130 (duplicates with study.com)
MS Certification Exam #98-367: Security Fundamentals comes in as CYB-120 (duplicates with study.com)

source: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/cal/apr#info-technology

24 credits left to go to find via alt credit. (actually, 21 if you count the capstone which you must do at TESU)

But if you do at least 16 credits at TESU you avoid the residency wavier. So here's an idea:

36 credits listed above from study.com, certs and TEEX
9 credits through CSU Global (if you can find 3 courses and get them confirmed to count)
https://csuglobal.edu/undergraduate/alte...ssessments
3 sos 110 info lit at TESU
3 cybersecurity capstone at TESU
12 credits worth of cybersecurity courses at TESU

This would be the best possible way to finish this degree with alt-credit. Not nearly as test out friendly as TESU BACS. It might be more trouble than its worth and honeslty not much overlap between the two AOS.

For reference BA comp sci: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/computer-science

Note the lack of course numbers besides sos-110 and the capstone which have to be taken at TESU they don't care about the numbers just the titles.

This is why I suggest at least applying to WGU (or COSC and EC) because it might less of a headache to finish.
(09-06-2019, 10:41 PM)natshar Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 09:55 PM)Elitis Wrote:

24 credits is the minimum of different (or new) credits between the two degrees. Of course, you must still meet all the degree requirements to graduate. Since TESU cybersecurity degree requires 54 you need to earn those 54 credits in some way, whether if overlaps with your computer science degree or not. And it also requires 6 cybersecurity electives which are more specific than computer science elective. That means 60 credits worth of cybersecurity credits total. What makes things tricky is unlike computer science where is room for "computer science electives" and also for the whole computer science degree the exact courses don't matter. But for cyber must take the exact course numbers it shows in the degree requirements. While there are some Cybersecurity courses through study.com, DSST and don't forget TEEX they might not match the exact courses needed for the degree. Also, I'm not sure how it works for credit for the certifications but I'm pretty sure TESU isn't as generous and doesn't give as much credit for certs compared to WGU especially since most certs don't give ACE credit. Also CSU global self-study might have cybersecurity courses but they are kind of expensive compared to other options (around $250 each I think) and you'd have to check to see how they transfer.

All I'm suggesting is you simply apply to WGU (since its free) maybe they give a lot of credits for the certs you already have and just evaluate your options more clearly. If you have the money apply to COSC and Excelsior as well but those aren't free to apply.

You've got 21 credits that can be done:

1. SDC Computer Science 110: Introduction to Cybersecurity (or study.com Computer Science 202: Network and System Security) both transfer as  CYB-120 Introduction to Cybersecurity
2. SDC Computer Science 331: Cybersecurity Risk Analysis Management CYB-322 Cybersecurity Risk Analysis and Management
3. SDC Computer Science 332: Cybersecurity Policies and Management CYB-323 Cybersecurity Policies, Programs and Compliance
4. SDC Computer Science 107: Database Fundamentals ITS-130 Database Fundamentals
5. SDC Computer Science 108: Introduction to Networking ITS-140 Introduction to Networking
6. SDC Computer Science 204: Database Programming ITS-231 Database Programming
7. TEEX ARW177 Information Risk Management- will transfer in as TESU CYB-421

https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs-cybersecurity

The DSST doesn't seem to fit anywhere. You would still need 39 more credits in cybersecurity not sure how you'd get it and the course numbers have to match. Like I said before the computer science degree is easier because the course numbers don't have to match but for cybersecurity they do.

For certs:

You've got 18 new credits which brings you up 36 credits:

- Certified Ethical Hacker Certification comes in as CYB-320
- Cisco CCNA Routing/Switching comes in as ITS-240
- CompTIA Security+ Certification comes in as CYB-220
- Linux Exam 010-150: Linux Essentials comes in as ITS-261
- Oracle Exam #1Z0-071: Database SQL comes in as  ITS-231
- Oracle Exam #1Z0-808: Java SE 8 Programmer I comes in as ITS-150

Duplicates from study.com:

CompTIA Network+ Certification comes in as ITS-140 (duplicates with with study.com)
MS Certification Exam #98-364: Database Fundamentals comes in as ITS-130 (duplicates with study.com)
MS Certification Exam #98-367: Security Fundamentals comes in as  CYB-120 (duplicates with study.com)

source: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/cal/apr#info-technology

24 credits left to go to find via alt credit. (actually, 21 if you count the capstone which you must do at TESU)

But if you do at least 16 credits at TESU you avoid the residency wavier. So here's an idea:

36 credits listed above from study.com, certs and TEEX
9 credits through CSU Global (if you can find 3 courses and get them confirmed to count)
https://csuglobal.edu/undergraduate/alte...ssessments
3 sos 110 info lit at TESU
3 cybersecurity capstone at TESU
12 credits worth of cybersecurity courses at TESU

This would be the best possible way to finish this degree with alt-credit. Not nearly as test out friendly as TESU BACS. It might be more trouble than its worth and honeslty not much overlap between the two AOS.

For reference BA comp sci: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/computer-science

Note the lack of course numbers besides sos-110 and the capstone which have to be taken at TESU they don't care about the numbers just the titles.

This is why I suggest at least applying to WGU (or COSC and EC) because it might less of a headache to finish.

That makes a lot more sense and is what I was thinking originally in regards to having to do all 60 credits in the Cybersecurity AOS. Thanks for clarifying that. I guess I did misunderstand. And it looks like you were right again in regards to the DSST. I could have sworn I saw it listed in one of the course equivalencies matching up with one of the AOS courses. But I guess not. I'll have to reevaluate whether or not to do the Cybersecurity degree at all right now given my options. I am definitely going for the BACS though since it being test-out-able was a deciding factor for me in the first place.
TESU BACS is test out able, the BSIT is almost as good with just the two science I/II courses that are not test out able... You can always go for a Masters in Cybersecurity. In fact, TESU just came out with one, haha... but it's too expensive, I would rather go for another school such as WGU for the Masters.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • davewill
Here are the certs you need to finish WGU degrees:

B.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) - Associate of (ISC)2 designation
Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) - Associate of (ISC)2 designation
Certified Encryption Specialist (EC-Council ECES)
Certified Incident Handler (EC-Concil ECIH)
ITIL Foundation Certification
CompTIA A+
CompTIA IT Operations Specialist
CompTIA Network+
CompTIA Project+
CompTIA Secure Infrastructure Specialist
CompTIA Security+
CIW Site Development Associate
CIW Web Security Associate

B.S. Computer Science
Oracle Database SQL
CompTIA Project+

M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker
EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (CHFI)

You are right cybersecurity is a lot of certs unless you already have most of them then I see why you would avoid this degree. And we've already discussed cybersecurity at TESU. For computer science, WGU only requires four certs, but unless you already have all or most of them, you made it clear you want to do TESU. But I just want to point out WGUs computer science bachelors even if you don't do it. However, WGUs masters program only requires two certs and it is a grad degree which would provide more benefit than two bachelors degrees.

I'd suggest doing TESU for undergrad in computer science and then WGU for a masters in cybersecurity. Also, for your undergrad do the free TEEX courses in cybersecurity because they are free and you might already know a lot of the material.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/it...tions.html
(09-07-2019, 09:05 AM)natshar Wrote: I'd suggest doing TESU for undergrad in computer science and then WGU for a masters in cybersecurity.

This was going to be my suggestion as well, but it looks like a couple of people beat me to it.

Also, I don't understand why you would avoid WGU because of certs. You're going to have to take exams/learn material anyway, why wouldn't you want to get more bang for your buck by getting credits AND certs for the same work? The way I see it, you can either take a Study.com course and get college credit for it, or you can take a cert exam and get college credit for it PLUS a potentially useful cert. The certs may not move the needle, but I can't understand seeing them as a negative.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-07-2019, 12:18 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU BACS is test out able, the BSIT is almost as good with just the two science I/II courses that are not test out able... You can always go for a Masters in Cybersecurity. In fact, TESU just came out with one, haha... but it's too expensive, I would rather go for another school such as WGU for the Masters.
I'm looking at potentially doing a MBA at a B&M when I get to that point. But true, I could (and may) also look into getting one in Cybersecurity when the time comes.
(09-07-2019, 09:05 AM)natshar Wrote: Here are the certs you need to finish WGU degrees:

B.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) - Associate of (ISC)2 designation
Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) - Associate of (ISC)2 designation
Certified Encryption Specialist (EC-Council ECES)
Certified Incident Handler (EC-Concil ECIH)
CompTIA A+
CompTIA IT Operations Specialist
CompTIA Network+
CompTIA Project+
CompTIA Secure Infrastructure Specialist
CompTIA Security+
CIW Web Security Associate

B.S. Computer Science
Oracle Database SQL
CompTIA Project+

M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker
EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (CHFI)

You are right cybersecurity is a lot of certs unless you already have most of them then I see why you would avoid this degree. And we've already discussed cybersecurity at TESU. For computer science, WGU only requires four certs, but unless you already have all or most of them, you made it clear you want to do TESU. But I just want to point out WGUs computer science bachelors even if you don't do it. However, WGUs masters program only requires two certs and it is a grad degree which would provide more benefit than two bachelors degrees.

I'd suggest doing TESU for undergrad in computer science and then WGU for a masters in cybersecurity. Also, for your undergrad do the free TEEX courses in cybersecurity because they are free and you might already know a lot of the material.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/it...tions.html
WGU Cybersecurity Masters degree actually has my interest now if it's really just the two certs. Those are certs I'm actually interested in too seeing as neither is entry-level and I find the material covered in them interesting. Thanks for that. I will definitely look into it when it comes time for graduate-level studies.
(09-07-2019, 10:15 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 09:05 AM)natshar Wrote: I'd suggest doing TESU for undergrad in computer science and then WGU for a masters in cybersecurity.

This was going to be my suggestion as well, but it looks like a couple of people beat me to it.

Also, I don't understand why you would avoid WGU because of certs. You're going to have to take exams/learn material anyway, why wouldn't you want to get more bang for your buck by getting credits AND certs for the same work? The way I see it, you can either take a Study.com course and get college credit for it, or you can take a cert exam and get college credit for it PLUS a potentially useful cert. The certs may not move the needle, but I can't understand seeing them as a negative.
For the same reason people suggest going for a Masters degree instead of a second bachelors. As you said, they don't move the needle. The CCSP, SSCP, Certified Encryption Specialist, Certified Incident Handler, and CompTIA Project+ certs are all certs I wouldn't mind (and probably will do) doing at some point, however the rest are either unheard of in the industry (CIW certs), certs I've previously had that are no longer useful to me (A+ and Net+) or I already have (Sec+).

As I mentioned previously, I'm not opposed to doing certs and credits at the same time. I applaud the idea. Its the sheer number of certs that need to be done (for some WGU degrees) as well as the quality of some of the certs. A dozen entry-level certs does me no good, when I could be building on that knowledge in pursuit of more advanced certs (as I am). So, its not that I see doing both (or just the certs themselves) at the same time as a negative. I see them as neutral. They do absolutely nothing for me. They don't take anything away (other than time), but they also don't really help me at all. That said, I likely will consider WGU for a Cybersecurity Masters later down the road, since there aren't a dozen certs to do, the certs have good name recognition and are well-known, and most importantly they interest me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 723 58 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 241 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 272 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP