Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Still Not Accepting Shmoop/FEMA
Thought I'd post an email I received from TESU regarding Shmoop and FEMA ACE credits. Still no go to both. I'm currently using Shmoop to complete my Associate's. The transcripts from 2012 are from when I previously attended TESU and did not complete the program. 

Unfortunately we do not accept credits from Shmoop or FEMA. We do however generally accept credits from various other ACE accredited sources. We will review any transfer credits that you have previously previously attended regionally accredited schools. We have already received your transcripts from Juniata College and Camden County College, both received in 2012. If you have earned any additional college credits since then, please have updated official transcripts sent to us. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Lyrisa Copson | Admissions Counselor 
LSU-Shreveport: MBA, Project Management 2023
UMGC: BS Public Safety Administration, minor Emergency Management 2021
Eastern Gateway Community College: AAB Business Management 2019
Credits from Sophia, SDC, FEMA EMI, TEEX, Schmoop, and B&M

Eastern Gateway Community College is free to union members!
Anyone can take advantage by joining Working America.
The Shmoop thing will probably never change. Don't expect TESU to ever accept FEMA IS courses again. Do you have ACE-approved credits from FEMA, or do you have FEMA IS credits? I don't think FEMA has any online or correspondence courses that are ACE-recommended.

By the way, admissions counselors know very little.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have tons of in-person FEMA classes to go with IS but I took them at my state agency not at EMI. Working on getting NJ OEM to update their system and enter classes into ACE for credit. The last class they have eligible for ACE is from 2008. I'll be sure to let everyone know if/when it goes through!

I talked with my adviser a couple of weeks ago and it didn't seem like TESU was ever going to take Shmoop again. Seems like that ship has sailed
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

FEMA courses aren't ACE approved, so those won't be accepted for that reason. It was an old policy and went away a long time ago.

Shmoop is another issue entirely, and TESU has some sort of issue with that provider that we aren't privy to (I would say it's because they don't proctor, but neither does ALEKS and they take those, so who knows).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-24-2019, 10:42 AM)dfrecore Wrote: FEMA courses aren't ACE approved, so those won't be accepted for that reason.  It was an old policy and went away a long time ago.

Shmoop is another issue entirely, and TESU has some sort of issue with that provider that we aren't privy to (I would say it's because they don't proctor, but neither does ALEKS and they take those, so who knows).

BTW Shmoop has had proctoring since last year, but TESU will not accept it.
the proctoring is optional.

and if i recall correctly, they don't even list if it was proctored or unproctored on the transcript, the school needs to contact them to verify or something. I can't imagine that being worth TESU's time.

I think that it was unproctored is only part of the problem. Someone transferred in an unusually high amount of credit all completed in a day or so was the original story from Shmoop, and I suspect that TESU felt Shmoop is not adequately preventing cheating. I'm sure we didn't help here on the form, where it was regularly suggested to skip the courses, open the content in multiple tabs, and just CTRL-F you way through exams to knock them out.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(04-24-2019, 05:01 PM)jsd Wrote: the proctoring is optional.

and if i recall correctly, they don't even list if it was proctored or unproctored on the transcript, the school needs to contact them to verify or something. I can't imagine that being worth TESU's time.

I think that it was unproctored is only part of the problem. Someone transferred in an unusually high amount of credit all completed in a day or so was the original story from Shmoop, and I suspect that TESU felt Shmoop is not adequately preventing cheating. I'm sure we didn't help here on the form, where it was regularly suggested to skip the courses, open the content in multiple tabs, and just CTRL-F you way through exams to knock them out.

The proctoring was mandatory for many months,but TESU continued to refuse to accept it.Once this became clear, Shmoop made it optional.

Perhaps I am mistaken,but your assertion that  anyone can just "... skip the courses, open the content in multiple tabs, and just CTRL-F you way through exams to knock them out" is not consistent with my experience or other posts on this forum.

Even if you are correct,the same can be said for Straighterline,which has many open book exams and searchable textbooks.What about Sophia,where the final exam is not actually proctored and you only need 50% to pass? 
In summary,even on other sites such as study.com, since only the final is proctored,cheating is always possible,since the final exam is only 20 or 30 percent of the entire grade.
(04-24-2019, 10:42 AM)dfrecore Wrote: FEMA courses aren't ACE approved, so those won't be accepted for that reason.  It was an old policy and went away a long time ago.

Many of the in-person classes are ACE approved, but the agency where they were taken has to participate in ACE. For example L0101 Foundations of Emergency Management is ACE approved if taken at EMI in Maryland for 6 credits in public administration. I took it from my state EMA and it is not on there. I'm thinking it might work if I send the ACE approval for the EMI course, a description from my local EMA, and a certificate of completion should qualify for credit. I'll report back with results.

(04-24-2019, 08:06 PM)nosey561 Wrote: Even if you are correct,the same can be said for Straighterline,which has many open book exams and searchable textbooks.What about Sophia,where the final exam is not actually proctored and you only need 50% to pass? 
In summary,even on other sites such as study.com, since only the final is proctored,cheating is always possible,since the final exam is only 20 or 30 percent of the entire grade.

There haven't been dozens of posts advocating manipulating those systems, so the point is moot. When Shmoop first came around, there was a large contingency of people here advocating just that, and we know by what Shmoop has publicly said that a person with an unusual amount of credits within a day or so made TESU take a second look.

I personally don't care what you or anyone is doing with Sophia or Study.com or where ever. I'm just telling you the series of events that happened around when TESU first announced they'd be rejecting Shmoop.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,482 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 589 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 489 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 517 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 271 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,314 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 397 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 285 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27