Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU/Study.com partnership transfer max of 90 credits?
From TESU's Study.com information page (https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/#who-is-eligible):

Quote:Study.com and TESU have an exclusive partnership to make transferring credit from Study.com courses and earning a degree as seamless as possible. If you follow our degree plan guidelines, up to 90 credits will transfer and apply to a degree at Thomas Edison State University, except when you use another potential source of transfer credit duplicating a degree requirement that could be satisfied via Study.com courses. A Study.com transcript is required to verify acceptance into the partnership.

Am I interpreting this correctly that the Study.com partnership limits you to transferring in 90 credits, therefore requiring you to do 30 credits with TESU directly? Or, is that 90 credits the max from Study.com and I can transfer in the remaining credits from CLEPs, and other credit sources?

I'm trying to figure out what the catch is with the Study.com partnership. Why wouldn't everyone do it? If, as I've gathered from other posts, only one Study.com course is required to qualify for the reduced tuition etc, what is there to lose?
You haven't been searching or researching TESU's website enough my friend. There is no catch, it's a limit set by TESU, from one source of alternative credit. Everyone finds their cheap/easy/fast option and chooses their own courses to reach that 120+ credits required for the degree. For some that are wanting to take credit, Study.com would be perfect for UL, as they can get the LL even cheaper/easier/faster with other methods.

If you did a search here as well, you would have read many threads to limit their credits from a particular ACE/NCCRS source, up to 90 credits, even in my Beginners Guide spreadsheet template or the Degreeforum Wiki. Example, I like StraighterLine OR CLEP/MS, I only recommend doing the max 90 credits from each towards a degree. The AOS, I recommend using Study.com or other testing methods.

Here you go, the TESU transfer info. Just in case you missed the read: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/transfer-credit

Courses and examinations approved through the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS) and the American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service. The limit of National CCRS and ACE credits from a single source is 90 credits for a bachelor's degree and 45 credits for an associates degree.

Essentially, you can transfer ALL 117 of a Bachelors but the Capstone into TESU, create a degree plan and stick to it!
For Community College OR a 4 year college, they have similar requirements: See this page for details.
Link: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Mackaframmalamma
Thanks, that is what I was pretty sure the answer would be, but the way the study.com page on TESU was worded made me question it a bit.
Yes, 90cr limit on specific course providers. So if you take 90cr from Study.com, you could then take the other 27 from one or more providers and be just fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-26-2018, 06:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You haven't been searching or researching TESU's website enough my friend.  There is no catch, it's a limit set by TESU, from one source of alternative credit.  Everyone finds their cheap/easy/fast option and chooses their own courses to reach that 120+ credits required for the degree.  For some that are wanting to take credit, Study.com would be perfect for UL, as they can get the LL even cheaper/easier/faster with other methods.

If you did a search here as well, you would have read many threads to limit their credits from a particular ACE/NCCRS source, up to 90 credits, even in my Beginners Guide spreadsheet template or the Degreeforum Wiki.  Example, I like StraighterLine OR CLEP/MS, I only recommend doing the max 90 credits from each towards a degree.  The AOS, I recommend using Study.com or other testing methods.

Here you go, the TESU transfer info.  Just in case you missed the read: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/transfer-credit

Courses and examinations approved through the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS) and the American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service. The limit of National CCRS and ACE credits from a single source is 90 credits for a bachelor's degree and 45 credits for an associates degree.

Essentially, you can transfer ALL 117 of a Bachelors but the Capstone into TESU, create a degree plan and stick to it!  
For Community College OR a 4 year college, they have similar requirements: See this page for details.

Do you know if Charter Oaks has the same limit of 90 credits from study.com?
(07-26-2018, 06:26 AM)jeffreymb Wrote: Thanks, that is what I was pretty sure the answer would be, but the way the study.com page on TESU was worded made me question it a bit.

That's because they write from the point of view that Study.com and TESU would be the only sources of credit. After all, neither of them have an incentive to push other providers.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
dragonwolf Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:You haven't been searching or researching TESU's website enough my friend.  There is no catch, it's a limit set by TESU, from one source of alternative credit.  Everyone finds their cheap/easy/fast option and chooses their own courses to reach that 120+ credits required for the degree.  For some that are wanting to take credit, Study.com would be perfect for UL, as they can get the LL even cheaper/easier/faster with other methods.

If you did a search here as well, you would have read many threads to limit their credits from a particular ACE/NCCRS source, up to 90 credits, even in my Beginners Guide spreadsheet template or the Degreeforum Wiki.  Example, I like StraighterLine OR CLEP/MS, I only recommend doing the max 90 credits from each towards a degree.  The AOS, I recommend using Study.com or other testing methods.

Here you go, the TESU transfer info.  Just in case you missed the read: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/transfer-credit

When I applied to Charter Oak, Excelsior, Thomas Edison and WGU, I sent them over 100 credits from StraighterLine alone along with my other credits. TESU has restrictions on the amount of credits from one source, 80 from 2 year CC, 117 from 4 year college/univ and 90 from ACE/NCCRS (90 credits from one ACE/NCCRS source, not total). Charter Oak didn't have a restriction of 90 credits from one source, neither did Excelsior. I don't recall WGU though, hmm...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-28-2019, 02:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
dragonwolf Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:You haven't been searching or researching TESU's website enough my friend.  There is no catch, it's a limit set by TESU, from one source of alternative credit.  Everyone finds their cheap/easy/fast option and chooses their own courses to reach that 120+ credits required for the degree.  For some that are wanting to take credit, Study.com would be perfect for UL, as they can get the LL even cheaper/easier/faster with other methods.

When I applied to Charter Oak, Excelsior, Thomas Edison and WGU, I sent them over 100 credits from StraighterLine alone along with my other credits.  TESU has restrictions on the amount of credits from one source, 80 from 2 year CC, 117 from 4 year college/univ and 90 from ACE/NCCRS  (90 credits from one ACE/NCCRS source, not total).  Charter Oak didn't have a restriction of 90 credits from one source, neither did Excelsior.  I don't recall WGU though, hmm...

Is this still true? I tried asking the TESU student services by chat today and they said they only accept 90 credits in total from all sources. But their residency requirement is now at 16 semester hours? So how does that make sense? I'm very confused right now because I'm given this information from the school itself. Does anyone know?

Aiming for TESU BSBA-GM, ASNSM in Biology, ASNSM in Computer Science
(11-04-2020, 01:39 PM)elenlushk Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 02:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
dragonwolf Wrote:

When I applied to Charter Oak, Excelsior, Thomas Edison and WGU, I sent them over 100 credits from StraighterLine alone along with my other credits.  TESU has restrictions on the amount of credits from one source, 80 from 2 year CC, 117 from 4 year college/univ and 90 from ACE/NCCRS  (90 credits from one ACE/NCCRS source, not total).  Charter Oak didn't have a restriction of 90 credits from one source, neither did Excelsior.  I don't recall WGU though, hmm...

Is this still true? I tried asking the TESU student services by chat today and they said they only accept 90 credits in total from all sources. But their residency requirement is now at 16 semester hours? So how does that make sense? I'm very confused right now because I'm given this information from the school itself. Does anyone know?
Hmm that's weird.

This may help bit:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/transfer-credit

How it was explained to me is. It is 80 credits from a 2 year college. Up to 114 credits from a 4 year university and up 90 credits from any same source alternative credit source i.e. study.com

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(11-04-2020, 01:39 PM)elenlushk Wrote: Is this still true? I tried asking the TESU student services by chat today and they said they only accept 90 credits in total from all sources. But their residency requirement is now at 16 semester hours? So how does that make sense? I'm very confused right now because I'm given this information from the school itself. Does anyone know?

I think somebody was confused. The advisors often don't know what they're talking about. You should still be able to bring in (for instance):

80 from Sophia
33 from SDC
6 from TESU
3 from Coopersmith
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 160 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 225 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 236 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,574 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary