Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Transfer Credit from NC Comm College
New member here.

Have been reading related posts, getting started and wiki.  Can post all credits if helpful but this specific question relates to this coming Fall semester at a North Carolina Community College which is RA transferring later to TESU. These are the classes we are currently registered for this coming Fall semester.

From the TESU website are the Course Equivalencies:
NC CC HEA 110 = TESU HEA 106 Personal Health
NC CC HUM 115 = TESU HUM 105 Critical Thinking
NC CC COM 110 = TESU COM 120 Intro to Mass Comm

However when we type in BUS 139 which is Business Entrepreneurship at CC there is no Course Equivalency for TESU.  Can we assume that since the CC is RA this will transfer to TESU as an elective?

We are just starting on the TESU/alternative credit idea and want to make sure that everything will transfer to TESU at least as an elective.

There is also an option of taking BUS 240 which transfers to TESU as BUS 211 Intro to Bus and Society, but because of Professor ratings and managing course load with job and other obligations BUS 139 is a better fit for this semester.

Still trying to figure out the ultimate degree but it is likely any Bachelors.  It seems like the BALS is the most obvious at this point.

Thank you in advance!
So you are still enrolled at a NC CC? I mean do you plan on staying enrolled there?
Or are these credits "old"?
If you are no longer enrolled maybe you should just get an evaluation by TESU to see how they come in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • Cowbell
Yes.  Currently enrolled in CC for last couple of years.  Want to stay with CC for at least the Fall and then look at TESU and other options in the Spring of 2020.

These credits would be for the coming Fall semester. They are not on the CC transcript yet. We want to make sure they transfer with some credit to TESU before the semester starts.
Your BUS 139 is likely to be considered an undergraduate business elective with a generic BUS 199, but when it shows up on your official transcript from TESU it will have the original school and its designation for the course. For example, I took Applied Physics PHY-171 through KCTCS which shows up on my academic evaluation with a TESU equivalency of PHY-199. On my official transcript it is listed with the original college, its course name and PHY-171. This is under the transfer credit area with no grade listed, just the number of credits.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes UptonSinclair's post:
  • Cowbell
(07-26-2019, 08:45 AM)Cowbell Wrote: However when we type in BUS 139 which is Business Entrepreneurship at CC there is no Course Equivalency for TESU.  Can we assume that since the CC is RA this will transfer to TESU as an elective?

Yes, it would be an elective at TESU.  BUS courses do not fall under General Education at TESU.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Cowbell
(07-26-2019, 08:45 AM)Cowbell Wrote: New member here.

Have been reading related posts, getting started and wiki.  Can post all credits if helpful but this specific question relates to this coming Fall semester at a North Carolina Community College which is RA transferring later to TESU. These are the classes we are currently registered for this coming Fall semester.

From the TESU website are the Course Equivalencies:
NC CC HEA 110 = TESU HEA 106 Personal Health
NC CC HUM 115 = TESU HUM 105 Critical Thinking
NC CC COM 110 = TESU COM 120 Intro to Mass Comm

However when we type in BUS 139 which is Business Entrepreneurship at CC there is no Course Equivalency for TESU.  Can we assume that since the CC is RA this will transfer to TESU as an elective?

We are just starting on the TESU/alternative credit idea and want to make sure that everything will transfer to TESU at least as an elective.

There is also an option of taking BUS 240 which transfers to TESU as BUS 211 Intro to Bus and Society, but because of Professor ratings and managing course load with job and other obligations BUS 139 is a better fit for this semester.

Still trying to figure out the ultimate degree but it is likely any Bachelors.  It seems like the BALS is the most obvious at this point.

Thank you in advance!

You keep saying we, are you planning this for someone or is this for you? I ask because if you're planning for someone, I wonder if you're getting free dual enrollment? If so, that changes my answer- because if I'm totally wrong and you're just taking classes, this may not end well for you.
TESU works as a super-affordable option because the credit you're earning somewhere else is deliberately lining up with your TESU degree for the purpose of a 114 credit transfer. You won't be able to get more than 80 (or is it 90?) through the community college, and so to do that, they have to be selected perfectly. Then, you still need to plan for the remaining 40ish credits using either alternative credits or at the very least, TESU credits. If you plan to take courses at TESU, you're about to spend a fortune of money. If you have a fortune to spend, there are so many other options.
I happen to live in NC, so I'm super familiar with their CCs and universities- can I help you a little with this? If you're willing to share a bit more about what you're doing and where you want to end up, I'm sure I can improve your efficiency with the process.

PS yes, your courses will transfer to TESU at least as an elective, but it's better to match them up to the requirements instead. You only have a max of 27 elective credit slots (9 classes) and you can fill those with credit that is free (literally $0) so using CC courses expends a lot of work just to get elective credit.
Thanks for the replies!  And for the patience with the vagueness.

I am Dad planning for daughter.  It is a group effort. 

She did get credits through dual enrollment, graduated from HS and is now a CC student.  I can get specific credits next week but I think she has about 20 credits all in GE.  She also passed Psyc CLEP. 

Having read this forum for the last few months I am the cheerleader in our house for alternative credits and Big 3.  CC has worked well for our family so everyone else is warming up to the alternative credit idea. 

Given the momentum of what has worked in the past I think she wants to stick with what she has registered for this Fall semester at CC.

However she likes studying from home on her own schedule so the alternative credit/TESU option is starting to appeal to her.  She looked up her classes on the TESU site and asked me the question about the BUS 139.  Our plans are evolving.

She is not picky about the degree so long as it is a Bachelors.  My best guess from reading the forum is BALS but open to suggestions.

Yes cost is important so we hope not to take any more TESU classes than are necessary.  However there is a balance between cost and what I will call User Friendliness.  We would rather pay CC type price for credits that work with her learning style rather than struggle with material that may take twice as long to get through.  It seems like SDC type platform might be a good middle ground. 

CLEP was not ideal.  I think she would do better with something broken into smaller chunks.
I would recommend her to finish an AA or AS at NCCC, this Associates degree can later be transferred to the Big 3 or WGU if she wanted to finish a Bachelors degree. The general education portion should be complete if you plan the courses carefully. If it's a BALS she's going after, or any degree for that matter, I would recommend doing as many transferable courses/credits, if it's a 80 or 90 credit limit, do them all at the CC for max transfer or ability to transfer in the future. She can then finish the BALS with courses at Study.com if she decides on one of the Big 3.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Cowbell
Any RA college course will transfer as at least a free elective...but that's a pretty low bar. She could take swimming or tennis and have it transfer as a free elective. I agree with Jennifer, you should take the time to plan out the degree now.

If she's taking the business course because she's interested in seeing if she might like to major in business, then taking this course may indeed be a good choice.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Cowbell
Ok, so as you know, all of the NC CCs are $76/credit. This is a great price, but what NC has that isn't available everywhere else is their guaranteed transfer agreement. If she would finish her AA or AS through the community college, it's a guaranteed transfer into any of the public universities. I mention this because your CC will accept CLEP in some amount, but not other alternative credits. There is only 1 public university in NC that allows ACE credit (Straighterline, specifically) BUT she can attend any of the 3 NC Promise schools (online) and earn her bachelor's degree (in business) for only $2,000. Her AA / AS would have to come first, but this is a much less expensive option than TESU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 189 Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,803 Yesterday, 10:02 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 240 Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 212 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 254 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,500 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 251 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,069 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 361 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 680 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy