Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Transfer Credit from NC Comm College
I think you're robbing Peter to pay Paul with your strategy. You have a much better, cheaper option than TESU available to you right there in your own state, so you're much better off doing that than TESU, imho.

If you opt later to switch to one of the Big 3 because it's FASTER, then I would suggest COSC, because it's also cheaper (by $2000) than TESU. AND, they have the added benefit of a BSLS in addition to the BALS - so you would have 60cr worth of "free electives" like Business rather than only 27cr at TESU. It's a much better deal. You can also combine the Liberal Arts and Non-Liberal Arts areas to create your own concentration. So if your daughter wanted to take some business courses, but didn't want the full business degree, she could combine the business courses with something else (Psych, Comm, whatever) to create an individualized study concentration for the BSLS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, Cowbell
(07-28-2019, 04:22 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think you're robbing Peter to pay Paul with your strategy.  You have a much better, cheaper option than TESU available to you right there in your own state, so you're much better off doing that than TESU, imho.

If you opt later to switch to one of the Big 3 because it's FASTER, then I would suggest COSC, because it's also cheaper (by $2000) than TESU.  AND, they have the added benefit of a BSLS in addition to the BALS - so you would have 60cr worth of "free electives" like Business rather than only 27cr at TESU.  It's a much better deal.  You can also combine the Liberal Arts and Non-Liberal Arts areas to create your own concentration.  So if your daughter wanted to take some business courses, but didn't want the full business degree, she could combine the business courses with something else (Psych, Comm, whatever) to create an individualized study concentration for the BSLS.

I think dfrecore has hit the nail on the head with the FASTER comment.  I think my daughter's thinking has evolved from the idea of transfer to B&M on-campus experience to "how can I get this done faster".  Thus the new interest in TESU.

She is our creative kinesthetic learner.  She is incredibly ambitious and is developing lot of real world skills through an internship and other interests but she is always swimming against the tide with school because she is not a linear thinker. 

On paper AA/AS transfer to NC 4Y is a great deal.  And we are very grateful that our family has benefitted greatly from the NC CC/university system.  But for this kid we may have to come out of pocket a little more to get this done faster and with a little more flexibility. 

Besides being faster I think the other thing that dfrecore mentions about the Big 3/alternative route is the flexibility.  Even though the Big 3 have specific degree plans that have to be met there is some flexibility in learning styles among the alternative providers.  My daughter didn't like CLEP because it seemed all or nothing on test day but maybe next time she will try SDC or SL.

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement to plan out her degree.  We feel like we are getting such good advice from many of the luminaries of degreeforum.  I will try to use the wiki and post an excel with her existing credits and a draft of BALS.  This is a busy couple of weeks so it may be a while. Thanks!
[-] The following 2 users Like Cowbell's post:
  • cookderosa, hsfamfun
Good luck finding what works best for your daughter.  I am in the same boat with my 20 year old son.  Sometimes what makes most sense to others will just not work with him.  I applaud you for helping her find a way that she can be successful!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like hsfamfun's post:
  • cookderosa, Cowbell
Big Grin Thanks hsfamfun!  As they say: "not all who wander are lost".

One thing I appreciate about this forum is that everyone is on a different path and so many are willing to help out no matter where you are starting from and where you are headed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowbell's post:
  • hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 189 Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,803 Yesterday, 10:02 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 240 Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 212 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 254 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,500 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 251 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,069 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 361 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 680 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy