Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - UL psychology is no more! I am PISSED!!
To hijack this thread a little bit more...

One of my pet peeves is when someone says a test is EASY - it's not supposed to be easy, it's college level.

I floated through high school without studying (and I got decent grades), but I can't think of ONE test that I have taken that I could have taken without studying. Ok, maybe Human Growth and Development for me (I've spent the last ten years home with my kids and I'm fairly educated about everything kid related), but that's it (and I've seen some posts that people have failed it). Almost all the tests I took I had to study a fairly decent amount in order to feel confident in passing.

I am just looking at Computer Concepts at Davar - I've seen posts that it's really easy, but to me it looks like pure gibberish so far - I guess I'm not that tech savvy! I'm sure that my husband, who works in IT, could probably take it with his eyes closed, but I can't.

So I hate when someone says - oh, this test was easy, but "forgets" to mention that he/she does this for a living, has a photographic memory, etc.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
sarg123 Wrote:To hijack this thread a little bit more...

One of my pet peeves is when someone says a test is EASY - it's not supposed to be easy, it's college level.

I floated through high school without studying (and I got decent grades), but I can't think of ONE test that I have taken that I could have taken without studying. Ok, maybe Human Growth and Development for me (I've spent the last ten years home with my kids and I'm fairly educated about everything kid related), but that's it (and I've seen some posts that people have failed it). Almost all the tests I took I had to study a fairly decent amount in order to feel confident in passing.

I am just looking at Computer Concepts at Davar - I've seen posts that it's really easy, but to me it looks like pure gibberish so far - I guess I'm not that tech savvy! I'm sure that my husband, who works in IT, could probably take it with his eyes closed, but I can't.

So I hate when someone says - oh, this test was easy, but "forgets" to mention that he/she does this for a living, has a photographic memory, etc.

That drives me crazy too. Sure, you may take the Biology CLEP (example) and think it was easy, but I'm here to tell you, it wouldn't be easy FOR ME. I always try to tell people that the reason I thought an exam was easy is because of my personal experience. Whenever someone comes on here and says "what's the easiest exam to take", that is such a loaded question - because what's easy for me may not be for you. I can always look at the list of CLEP exams and quickly go through going "yep, I could pass this" or "nope, never going to happen" in 30 seconds. I just know what I'm good at, or what interests me, or what my experience has been. I have no idea what others will be good at. And, my glance through would also be "yep, I could pass that with some studying" or "never going to happen no matter how much I study."
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think if one wants to understand why TESU changes certain things, then one should look at Excelsior because they have the same accreditor. TESU does read this forum, but we don't always know why. Marc Singer comes here to answer questions. I believe most of their changes have to do with accreditation.

The BSBA programs were bound to change because TESU applied for ACBSP accreditation. Excelsior has had capstones longer than TESU has. I believe TESU added capstones courses out of fear that they were graduating a lot of people who either didn't learn much or weren't prepared for graduate school. I think dropping FEMAs was an accreditation decision. Notice how Excelsior never accepted FEMAs directly? In order for schools to grant credits for life experience, they have to show that they have an assessment process. How could TESU justify to Middle States that FEMAs are college-level credits? Excelsior can just put the blame on other schools. I'm sure the Big 3 are always under closer scrutiny.

Another one is that Excelsior does not give UL credit for community college courses. Eventually, TESU stopped giving UL credit for CC courses. Excelsior follows recommendations from ACE and NCCRS. TESU does not follow anyone's recommendations for UL and LL credits, so they have to justify giving UL credits for courses and exams that are evaluated as LL by ACE or NCCRS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
OK,

Excelsior does accept FEMA from other colleges and TESU does not. Same accreditation. TESU being TESU.

Excelsior does accept some CC credits as UL on a case by case basis.

I have taken harder FEMA courses than many of the courses in the past posted here from numerous universities.

That's why ONE should apply to all three! They are NOT the same.

sanantone Wrote:I think if one wants to understand why TESU changes certain things, then one should look at Excelsior because they have the same accreditor. TESU does read this forum, but we don't always know why. Marc Singer comes here to answer questions. I believe most of their changes have to do with accreditation.

The BSBA programs were bound to change because TESU applied for ACBSP accreditation. Excelsior has had capstones longer than TESU has. I believe TESU added capstones courses out of fear that they were graduating a lot of people who either didn't learn much or weren't prepared for graduate school. I think dropping FEMAs was an accreditation decision. Notice how Excelsior never accepted FEMAs directly? In order for schools to grant credits for life experience, they have to show that they have an assessment process. How could TESU justify to Middle States that FEMAs are college-level credits? Excelsior can just put the blame on other schools. I'm sure the Big 3 are always under closer scrutiny.

Another one is that Excelsior does not give UL credit for community college courses. Eventually, TESU stopped giving UL credit for CC courses. Excelsior follows recommendations from ACE and NCCRS. TESU does not follow anyone's recommendations for UL and LL credits, so they have to justify giving UL credits for courses and exams that are evaluated as LL by ACE or NCCRS.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:OK,

Excelsior does accept FEMA from other colleges and TESU does not. Same accreditation. TESU being TESU.

Excelsior does accept some CC credits as UL on a case by case basis.

I have taken harder FEMA courses than many of the courses in the past posted here from numerous universities.

That's why ONE should apply to all three! They are NOT the same.

I have yet to come across a FEMA IS course that is difficult. It's all a matter of how much risk an institution is willing to take. Excelsior is accepting the recommendations of other schools; they aren't assessing FEMAs themselves. TESU has looked at FEMAs directly. Not only is it riskier to accept another school's assessment of unaccredited courses, but how could TESU explain accepting FEMAs directly and switching to only accepting them from other schools? That would make no sense. They're the same courses. Either you think they're college-level or they're not.

I took courses at a 4-year institution that are normally considered UL and transferred as UL at TESU. But, since they had LL course codes, they were all evaluated as LL at Excelsior. I would assume that it is extremely rare to get UL credits for CC courses at Excelsior. None of my CC courses were evaluated as UL at Excelsior or COSC.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Look at the difference between Excelsior and COSC. COSC used to require that FEMA credits be on another school's transcript. They now accept them directly and go off the FCC evaluations that are publicly available on their website. Why make people pay FCC if you already know how the credits are evaluated? If Excelsior really thought FEMAs were worthy of college credit, then they would just award college credit. Excelsior has evaluated dozens of IT, healthcare, and other types of certifications. Why won't they evaluate FEMA courses? This is just their way to get out of accepting responsibility for awarding college credits for courses that they know aren't really worthy of college credits.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I have taken 268 of the FEMA IS Courses for 917 Hours (91.7 CEUs). I have even failed a few and had to retake them.

I will not argue they are any less college level than my daughter's stupid History of the Beatles:ack: class at her PAC-12 University. I can argue which one is more useful.:roflol:

I have taken many courses listed in this forum that took me less than 3 hours for 3 SH. In the end colleges can do what they want.

sanantone Wrote:I have yet to come across a FEMA IS course that is difficult. It's all a matter of how much risk an institution is willing to take. Excelsior is accepting the recommendations of other schools; they aren't assessing FEMAs themselves. TESU has looked at FEMAs directly. Not only is it riskier to accept another school's assessment of unaccredited courses, but how could TESU explain accepting FEMAs directly and switching to only accepting them from other schools? That would make no sense. They're the same courses. Either you think they're college-level or they're not.

I took courses at a 4-year institution that are normally considered UL and transferred as UL at TESU. But, since they had LL course codes, they were all evaluated as LL at Excelsior. I would assume that it is extremely rare to get UL credits for CC courses at Excelsior. None of my CC courses were evaluated as UL at Excelsior or COSC.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

The Big 3 were set up to accept regionally accredited college credits from other University's NOT to deny them. Excelsior is following 50-years of tradition.

sanantone Wrote:Look at the difference between Excelsior and COSC. COSC used to require that FEMA credits be on another school's transcript. They now accept them directly and go off the FCC evaluations that are publicly available on their website. Why make people pay FCC if you already know how the credits are evaluated? If Excelsior really thought FEMAs were worthy of college credit, then they would just award college credit. Excelsior has evaluated dozens of IT, healthcare, and other types of certifications. Why won't they evaluate FEMA courses? This is just their way to get out of accepting responsibility for awarding college credits for courses that they know aren't really worthy of college credits.

Life Long Learning Wrote:I have taken 268 of the FEMA IS Courses for 917 Hours (91.7 CEUs). I have even failed a few and had to retake them.

I will not argue they are any less college level than my daughter's stupid History of the Beatles:ack: class at her PAC-12 University. I can argue which one is more useful.:roflol:

I have taken many courses listed in this forum that took me less than 3 hours for 3 SH. In the end colleges can do what they want.

Whether or not a course is college-level has everything to do with the level of the content presented and the level of coursework that needs to be completed. It has nothing to do with the subject. If someone has to write a 10-page essay on the cultural impact the Beatles' music had, then that is more college-level than reading about governmental procedures that are worded to be understood by everyone and taking an open-book, multiple choice exam on them.

Life Long Learning Wrote:The Big 3 were set up to accept regionally accredited college credits from other University's NOT to deny them. Excelsior is following 50-years of tradition.

FEMA IS courses are not offered by regionally accredited schools; they are offered by EMI.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
If FCC grants them credit they are now regionally accepted and accredited. They are accepted by others like Excelsior College and true to their original charter.
Where learning comes from is irrelevant....ex-President of Excelsior College who died last year.

Baker University also accepts FEMA IS. http://www.bakeru.edu/images/pdf/spgs/FE...edures.pdf

sanantone Wrote:FEMA IS courses are not offered by regionally accredited schools; they are offered by EMI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,617 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,582 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,293 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,283 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,322 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore