Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Undergraduate Certificate in Finance
Hello,
I am coaching my friend thru his BSBA at TESU.  I was hoping to get him thru an Undergraduate Certificate in Finance before hes done the degree.  I am just a little confused about if the certificate is entirely test outable.

He requires

Corporate Finance or International Economics (can be obtained from study.com)
Financial Institutions and Markets (available from TECEP)
Security Analysis and Portfolio Management (available from TECEP)

He then needs to select nine(9) credits from the following

He is already done Principles of Finance (3) (study.com)

He needs two more of the following.  Where can he obtain these from ?

Advanced Security Analysis & Portfolio Management (3)
International Finance & Trade (3)
Public Finance (3)
Risk Management (3)
Davar Academy has International Finance. FIN-310 comes in as FIN-334.
Ed4Credit has Intro to Money and Banking which comes in as ECO-231.

The Money and Banking DSST is an alternative to the Ed4Credit class. For me, the Ed4Credit class was A LOT of work because of the set up of the class. The DSST might be easier to pass, but it is probably also easier to fail. If I remember correctly, the DSST is also upper level. I think that they don't duplicate.
I should also specify that he is in Canada so DSST is not really an option, the courses need to be testoutable online.

Can anybody help make a study plan for this certificate that involves online test outs ?
I completed this earlier in the year. This is my now unofficial evaluation.

Program Requirements:
1: Certificate in Finance (Complete)
SH Earned: 18 GPA Achieved/Needed: none / 2.000 Complete all 4 subrequirements:

A: Corporate/Intl 3 SH (Complete)
*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, go to ECO-490 International Economics

This requirement is beyond Principles of Finance or Business Finan ce.
Source Course Title Term Grade SH TESU # Notes
1 FIN-311 Corporate Finance 07/10/17 CR 3.00 FIN-311
*NEW *NE
B: Institutions 3 SH (Complete)
For TESU course options, go to FIN-331 Financial Institutions and Markets
2 FIN-331 Financial Inst. and Mrkts. 2017DEC CR 3.00
*NEW
C: Security Anlys 3 SH (Complete)
For TESU course options, go to FIN-321 Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
2 FIN-321 Security Anal & Portfolio Mgt 2017DEC CR 3.00
*NEW
D: Finance Electvs 9SH (Complete)
*must earn grades of C/CR or better
Topics include principles of finance or business finance, advanced security analysis and po rtfolio management, international finance and trade, public budgeting and finance, risk management.

For TESU and other c ourse options, please contact an Advisor
!! Exception course allowed
SH Earned: 9
3 ECO-231 Intro to Money and Banking 12/26/17 CR 3.00 ECO-231
*NEW *NE
1 FIN-334 International Finance 06/13/17 CR 3.00 FIN-334
*NEW *NE
1 FIN-301 Principles of Finance 06/12/17 CR 3.00 FIN-301
*NEW *NE

Corporate Finance: Davar FIN-401
Institutions: TECEP FIN-331
Security Analysis: TECEP FIN 321

Electives:
Ed4Credit ECO-300
Davar FIN-301
Davar FIN-334
Thanks eriehiker

Im on Davar's website, I can see Fin 401 and Fin 301, but I don't see Fin 334 available anywhere.
Davar labels it FIN 310, Multinational business finance.
I think the key is to use a LL Intro to Finance course (FIN-200) as your core, and then an UL Intro to Finance course (FIN-301) in the AOS.

BTW, as I said in my PM, why wouldn't your friend just get a BSBA in Finance? That would certainly be easier, and cheaper, than a BSBA in GM and adding a certificate in Finance. Just a thought.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My thought is basically the degree is really just windowdressing, and adding a certificate might just make him a bit more impressive. Also, this could be viewed as a stepping stone to getting the actual degree.
Ah. Well, I don't think certificates help much, employers almost never look for those. Certainly not as a prelude to a BA degree. So if they require an AA, they don't care about the certificate, and if they're looking for a BA, a certificate won't be of any help. Then, after you get a degree, a certificate isn't very impressive.

But, if he wants to get the degree on the way to the BSBA, that might be something to keep him motivated (kind of like getting the AA along the way). So it can't hurt. Also, if he wants an AA and a certificate at the same time, he'd only have to pay one graduation fee - but he'd still have to pay the residency waiver, and then we're still not sure if it will also apply to the BSBA in the works. So be careful with that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-25-2018, 12:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Ah.  Well, I don't think certificates help much, employers almost never look for those.  Certainly not as a prelude to a BA degree.  So if they require an AA, they don't care about the certificate, and if they're looking for a BA, a certificate won't be of any help.  Then, after you get a degree, a certificate isn't very impressive.

But, if he wants to get the degree on the way to the BSBA, that might be something to keep him motivated (kind of like getting the AA along the way).  So it can't hurt.  Also, if he wants an AA and a certificate at the same time, he'd only have to pay one graduation fee - but he'd still have to pay the residency waiver, and then we're still not sure if it will also apply to the BSBA in the works.  So be careful with that.

I disagree. I think that a certificate-especially if it a long term one-in a specific in demand subject area, can add value to a resume, and help one be more marketable. There are still many jobs-in fact a majority of those being created that do not need a bachelor's degree. Also, many employers look at experience, and a specific skillet to determine your employ ability. Many of them do not care how it was gained. A certificate is still a significant post-secondary credential that lead to better employment. An example is medical assisting-an employer may hire both the person with the degree, and the person with the certificate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,289 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,317 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore