Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Won't let me register for final capstone
Don't get your hopes up about your Marketing credits. Marketing isn't a Liberal Arts subject
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-05-2019, 01:56 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Don't get your hopes up about your Marketing credits. Marketing isn't a Liberal Arts subject

Really? I got those courses from a thread on here... Someone said it worked for them
It all depends on which type of Marketing courses at the 300 level you have taken. For example, Marketing Communications is UL and can be a Marketing course OR a Communications course. Communications can be used in the AOS, but Marketing can't. So, if your Marketing courses are more than say 50% Liberal arts related, your courses "may" make it to the AOS. Otherwise, it'll all go towards your free electives. Can you list all your courses you've taken or do you have a spreadsheet of your degree plan?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-05-2019, 02:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It all depends on which type of Marketing courses at the 300 level you have taken.  For example, Marketing Communications is UL and can be a Marketing course OR a Communications course.  Communications can be used in the AOS, but Marketing can't.  So, if your Marketing courses are more than say 50% Liberal arts related, your courses "may" make it to the AOS.  Otherwise, it'll all go towards your free electives.  Can you list all your courses you've taken or do you have a spreadsheet of your degree plan?
This is my current eval.
The marketing classes were:

Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior
Marketing 306: Principles of Selling

Attached Files
.xlsx   tesu current eval.xlsx (Size: 13.71 KB / Downloads: 11)
First off, you need a Math requirement, if you haven't done the CSM Learn course Quantitative Reasoning, get it done easily for $39... and in regards to your two UL Marketing courses, LOL - those were the two exact courses I thought you would have taken! ROFL, amazing, I bet you took them as they were recommended here by members, they aren't bad but they are Marketing courses with a twist...

You have two options: First choice would be just bit the bullet and take two more Study.com courses and finish them in the month, find something in Humanities/Social Sciences, since you're going for the BALS. Sociology of Work, Psychology of Personality are examples of what you can take. If you want something non proctored, take the TEEX Death Investigation for $75 and finish it in a day...

Your second option which is to appeal the two courses, your chances are roughly 50/50. Here are the instructions on their website for appealing that evaluation, you need to do it within 30 days of your initial evaluation. People have had success with appeals before, but many have failed. Link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/p...guidelines

If you are appealing, my recommendation is to point this out. 1) You're about done and just need the Cornerstone/Capstone
2) The two courses you chose is because you wanted to take something you're interested in and is for personal growth.
3) The two courses are similar to the following:
Organizational Behavior vs Consumer Behavior - Instead of learning more of the corp world and behaviors, you're looking at the consumer market.
Principles of Selling vs Marketing Communications - You're wanting to learn more about Communications to become a better "marketer/seller".
4) Find the descriptions/syllabus/objectives/learning outcomes for the Study.com course and only "gather" the lesson info that is geared more towards a Humanities/Social Science area instead of a "Marketing" area and highlight that in your appeal.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • suzycupcake
(09-05-2019, 05:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: First off, you need a Math requirement, if you haven't done the CSM Learn course Quantitative Reasoning, get it done easily for $39... and in regards to your two UL Marketing courses, LOL - those were the two exact courses I thought you would have taken!  ROFL, amazing, I bet you took them as they were recommended here by members, they aren't bad but they are Marketing courses with a twist...

You have two options:  First choice would be just bit the bullet and take two more Study.com courses and finish them in the month, find something in Humanities/Social Sciences, since you're going for the BALS.  Sociology of Work, Psychology of Personality are examples of what you can take.  If you want something non proctored, take the TEEX Death Investigation for $75 and finish it in a day...

Your second option which is to appeal the two courses, your chances are roughly 50/50.  Here are the instructions on their website for appealing that evaluation, you need to do it within 30 days of your initial evaluation.  People have had success with appeals before, but many have failed.  Link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/p...guidelines

If you are appealing, my recommendation is to point this out.   1) You're about done and just need the Cornerstone/Capstone
2) The two courses you chose is because you wanted to take something you're interested in and is for personal growth.
3) The two courses are similar to the following:  
Organizational Behavior vs Consumer Behavior - Instead of learning more of the corp world and behaviors, you're looking at the consumer market.
Principles of Selling vs Marketing Communications - You're wanting to learn more about Communications to become a better "marketer/seller".
4) Find the descriptions/syllabus/objectives/learning outcomes for the Study.com course and only "gather" the lesson info that is geared more towards a Humanities/Social Science area instead of a "Marketing" area and highlight that in your appeal.
That is the Math I am currently in. But I thought it was more important to finish the upper levels, be able to register and then use the between time to finish up the math before the semester.
 You are my hero! I will appeal, based on the answer I receive tomorrow. I think that would be my best option, I am not trying to spend more money if I don't have to. Especially since the non residency fee has gone up. 
Also, after the Registrar email this morning they verified I have over 100 credits, and she said to follow up with them asap. I did and they still did not give me the waiver to register. 
My final question would be does the academic advisors have the authority to move it ( upper level marketing classes) or would it have to go through the registrar office no matter what?
Yup, the decision comes from the Office of the Registrar.  Did you get any answers yet from advising or the registrar?  It may go up to a dean/provost or vice president level if you need to get those credits and it warrants you pushing that far up the chain... I would add the following to the list above.

1) Ask if the two courses you have taken can be evaluated as similar to the two courses I mentioned.
Elaborate with TESU - From this link:  https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after
You can see that Marketing Communications is in Humanities and Organizational Behavior is in Social Science.

2) Provide them the course learning outcomes from ACE credit registry.  And illustrate that the courses have a huge amount of content dealing with Consumer Behavior/Psychology and Communications within a marketing/selling environment.  I just read through BOTH of those Learning Outcomes and Instruction info in ACE credit registry.  I believe it's enough to pursue an appeal.

Again, indicate to them as per #1, you want to focus on the Cornerstone/Capstone and don't want to spend extra energy/money/time on these potential courses.  You have two courses in the "other field" that can be bumped into the general education electives.   And if the appeal is good, you've got everything but the Capstone/Cornerstone and the CSM Learn course.

(09-06-2019, 02:47 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yup, the decision comes from the Office of the Registrar.  Did you get any answers yet from advising or the registrar?  It may go up to a dean/provost or vice president level if you need to get those credits and it warrants you pushing that far up the chain... I would add the following to the list above.

1) Ask if the two courses you have taken can be evaluated as similar to the two courses I mentioned.
Elaborate with TESU - From this link:  https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after
You can see that Marketing Communications is in Humanities and Organizational Behavior is in Social Science.

2) Provide them the course learning outcomes from ACE credit registry.  And illustrate that the courses have a huge amount of content dealing with Consumer Behavior/Psychology and Communications within a marketing/selling environment.  I just read through BOTH of those Learning Outcomes and Instruction info in ACE credit registry.  I believe it's enough to pursue an appeal.

Again, indicate to them as per #1, you want to focus on the Cornerstone/Capstone and don't want to spend extra energy/money/time on these potential courses.  You have two courses in the "other field" that can be bumped into the general education electives.   And if the appeal is good, you've got everything but the Capstone/Cornerstone and the CSM Learn course.
Yes, good news is I was able to register for both capstone and SOS-110. 
Right now I am working on my appeal to have the two courses moved to my area study. After looking at the learning outcomes they both cover their equivalent tesu courses, But fingers crossed. Also the adviser stated I have to email him my appeal and then he will email it to the dean of students. Which is different then what the link says so I'm not sure about that. I might just send it to the registrar so I'm not denied just for getting in their hair about this stuff.
This is the appeal letter I wrote ( I am open to all feedback and recommended revisons):

To whom it might concern,
                I am a 6 year college student that has been working towards a degree with your program over the years. Last year I was fortunate to have been offered a better position as a Case Manager in my city which has helped me be able to finish out my remaining classes. Depending on your decision I would have only 2 classes finish, which would be the Capstone and the SOS-110 ( I am currently enrolled for the October semester).
The two courses I took were Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior and Marketing 306: Principles of Selling but they are very similar to the courses provided by your school titled Marketing Communications and Organizational Behavior. I took these classes because they were of interest to me, were beneficial to my personal growth and had the same learning objectives as the classes you offered.
Thomas Edison State University description for Marketing Communication states:
“This TECEP emphasizes marketing communications topics such as the marketing environments, integrated marketing communications, promotion venues including personal selling, sales promotion, point of purchase sales promotion, Internet and social media promotion, along with the marketing concepts that shape these topics. Subjects include: evaluation of the marketing environments; finding, penetrating, managing markets; utilization and application of marketing mix components and identification of societal and relationship strategies; communications, concepts, strategies, and variables of promotion venues such as internet marketing communications, sponsorship, product differentiation, and product positioning. 3 s.h.” (https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCo...de=MAR-321)
American Council On Education (ACE) for Personal Selling states:
“ The general course topics include selling to businesses and consumers; consumer buying behavior and influences; business buying behavior and influences; post-sale customer relationship management; communication skills for selling; ; the sales planning process; and selling strategies.
The similarities between the classes are uncanny. They both include personal selling, sales promotion, and improving marketing communications. The course helped me improve my marketing communication skills and how to be a better marketer/seller in today’s world. I now know what needs to be addressed in order to make the sale.
Thomas Edison State University description for Organizational Behavior states:
Examination of individual behavior within an organizational setting. Examines the relationship of an individual and his/her personality, perceptions, motivation with the tasks assigned, groups interacted with management and the dynamics of the organization.”
American Council On Education (ACE) for Consumer Marketing states:
                “Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to illustrate the stages of the consumer decision-making process; compare and contrast the different psychological processes that influence consumer behavior; illustrate how marketers apply behavioral theories to influence consumers; analyze the effects of heuristics on the behavior of consumers; and compare and contrast research methodologies used to analyze consumers and their behaviors.”
Instead of learning about a person in the corporate environment, I was learning about a person in a consumer environment but they both exhibit the same behaviors and have the same motivational factors.
I ask that these 4 courses can be evaluated as similar to the corresponding courses listed above. Being so close to the finish line I would like to be able to focus on my SOS-110 and Capstone forgoing spending more money and delaying me further. I have two other courses that can be moved into my general elective slot if the courses are approved. I thank you for your time and consideration.
(09-04-2019, 04:33 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: before you switch schools, I think COSC has the same policy

This was the policy at COSC back around 2015. I doubt it has changed, but I would definitely verify before trying to switch.

If you have a plan keep working on it until you know you need to switch for sure. My switch from COSC to TESU derailed my progress. I wish I had stuck with COSC since I would have finished up a few years earlier and avoided the stress.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy