Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Won't let me register for final capstone
Hi all, I've been a long time reader. This is my first post considering I've been running into ridiculous problems with Thomas Edison State College. I've finally finished my last Study.com course as planned. So I went to register for the Capstone and Sos-110 course and couldn't. I emailed advising and received two separate answers telling me to email the Registrar since they are my final classes. Once I emailed the registrar a Steve stated that I would have to register for the Sos-110  wait ten days and then register for the Capstone for a following semester and to contact an advisor if I had anymore questions.. I called the registrar office to complain about the conflicting information being given and was told to call back the next day. I have worked hard and been given wrong advising information from them continuously over these past 2 years, from joining the Study.com affiliation products and being forced to take information again through their SOS-110. I'm considering just switching schools so I can take the classes I need without jumping through hoops. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wulfofcali's post:
  • JerseyDan
I'm pretty sure they're going to make you do SOS110 before you do the capstone

before you switch schools, I think COSC has the same policy

I don't know what to tell you because back when I first started at TESU, they let you waive the cornerstone if you went to Study.com so I never had to deal with it. My advice would be just to call advising again and in your nicest possible voice ask them if they can help you out.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • JerseyDan
This is why I try to encourage people to enroll at TESU early (and of course keeps tabs here for changes), so the rule changes don't trip them up. Had you enrolled two years ago, you wouldn't have had to take the cornerstone and wouldn't have this problem now.

Anyway, they're only making you wait until the following month for the Capstone? That doesn't sound too bad. You weren't going to make Dec graduation anyhow, so you should still be fine for March graduation. However, I agree with @jsh1138 that you can try to escalate before giving up.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • JerseyDan
(09-04-2019, 04:33 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm pretty sure they're going to make you do SOS110 before you do the capstone

before you switch schools, I think COSC has the same policy

I don't know what to tell you because back when I first started at TESU, they let you waive the cornerstone if you went to Study.com so I never had to deal with it. My advice would be just to call advising again and in your nicest possible voice ask them if they can help you out.
But financial aid wise, you have to be at least halftime (6 credits). So I wouldn't be able to get financial aid and attend if they say I have to do one at a time. 

Boy were you smart! That was my plan but my budget didn't have the same thoughts lol.
  • JerseyDan
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I would get really ugly about it with TESU. Start calling and complaining because this is not a real rule. They don't realize how people will get screwed by this.

I have gotten very bad information from TESU that they have had to retract more than once in just a few days
It's shocking how little the people working there know at all levels and they almost really messed me up with financial aid AND my residency fee. So far, NOT impressed.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • JerseyDan
"This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I would get really ugly about it with TESU"

LOL. Do not do this. It is completely up to the people you're talking to what you're allowed to do. They are the only ones who can make it happen for you.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • JerseyDan
(09-05-2019, 06:37 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: "This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I would get really ugly about it with TESU"

LOL. Do not do this. It is completely up to the people you're talking to what you're allowed to do. They are the only ones who can make it happen for you.

It shouldn't be the first thing you do, but don't underestimate the effectiveness of being really aggressive. This rule could prevent people from getting financial aid in their final semester.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(09-04-2019, 04:26 PM)Wulfofcali Wrote: I have worked hard and been given wrong advising information from them continuously over these past 2 years, from joining the Study.com affiliation products and being forced to take information again through their SOS-110. I'm considering just switching schools so I can take the classes I need without jumping through hoops.

I'd give them examples of some of the past misinformation.

Unfortunately switching would probably be even slower and/or more costly because of differing requirements. Are you going for a general degree like Liberal Studies?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • JerseyDan
I'd start with calling the Financial Aid office, and find out what is required to be considered half time.  In a traditional B&M school it would be possible to be considered half-time in a semester and be enrolled in two short-term courses; in example - US History I for an 8 week course starting at the end of  August (when the Fall semester begins) and History II for another 8 week course that begins in October.  Financial Aid is usually broken up into 3 time periods; Fall, Spring and Summer - so if you started the Cornerstone in October, and the Capstone in November both would qualify as Fall term and therefore qualify for Financial Aid. If there is an issue ask them for guidance on your next step; it is likely they deal with such 'issues' all the time.

It is not unreasonable that any college or university would want you to at least start your Cornerstone course prior to enrolling in your Capstone; most B&Ms would likely require that you complete the first before starting the second. It sounds like TESU is at least allowing then to overlap and they are telling you how to make that happen.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Ideas
Thank you all for your help! I truly appreciate all of your inputs. I replied to an email from the registrar after calling to put in a compliant yesterday. I received an email this morning from the Vice President and Registrar that she will add the credits so I can take my final classes. She also mentioned that I was already registered for the Sos-110 and would need another class in order to get financial aid if I didn't register for the capstone. She was great and made my day.  Now to deal with advising again ??‍♀️. I am going for the liberal arts degree and they put my 300 marketing credits into the electives category. So I asked if they could put that into my AOS. Hopefully they will..fingers crossed.
  • JerseyDan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy