Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU? BA in Philosophy for a newb
I really appreciate everything in the forums, wiki, and older resources! The community is pretty awesome. I've tried researching and learning how to get started but I am struggling in understanding how to start a custom plan when I don't have a decent template for the degree path I am looking to pursue. Some of the resources I've looked at are older and some of the requirements/fees have changed for schools so a lot of what I am finding may or may not be accurate making it even more difficult to navigate.

I'd love to entertain any advice or guidance.

I am looking to pursue a BA in Philosophy (at TESU?) by testing out as much of the General Education as possible. My main focus is getting to the AOS and electives as fast as possible then taking my time through the rest of the degree path. Cost really isn't a concern so if there's a better school or path, I am open to alternatives. I've seen concerns on the forum for Philosophy degree paths but it seems to be stemming around not having a lot of test out options. 

- Mike
Beside intro to philosophy, ancient Greek philosophers from Sophia, ethics in America from study.com/dsst and ethics theory and practice from study.com; I don't think there are any other alternative credit philosophy.

If you did all of them you would have 12 philosophy credits all LL.

I'm thinking there might be a cheaper way to get a philosophy degree.

APU and Fort Hayes offer degrees in philosophy. I believe they allow up to 90 credits from alternative sources. They accept a lot of the sources on this fourm. Then you'd do your last 30 credits at the university. You'd have to do more research I'm not sure if it will be cheaper or faster.
(08-24-2019, 07:40 AM)natshar Wrote: Beside intro to philosophy, ancient Greek philosophers from Sophia, ethics in America from study.com/dsst and ethics theory and practice from study.com; I don't think there are any other alternative credit philosophy.

If you did all of them you would have 12 philosophy credits all LL.

I'm thinking there might be a cheaper way to get a philosophy degree.

APU and Fort Hayes offer degrees in philosophy. I believe they allow up to 90 credits from alternative sources. They accept a lot of the sources on this fourm. Then you'd do your last 30 credits at the university. You'd have to do more research I'm not sure if it will be cheaper or faster.
Thanks for responding. By APU and Fort Hayes do you mean test out my Gen Ed and LL then take he UL at one of these two instead of TESU? Also, do you have any advice on learning how to figure out what classes in Study.com (and other resources) are transferable or do we have to check with the school directly? I’m trying to avoid accidentally testing out a course that’s not transferable.
Study.com also has Business Ethics and Management Ethics, both of which come in as Philosophy courses and the latter of which is UL.

You can get two Logic courses (the latter of which *might* come in as UL, I'm not sure) from BYU Independent Study.

But even with all that, you're a ways off from being able to finish the TESU degree via alternative methods. I don't know much about the other options, but I'd advise you to look into them. They might be quite a bit cheaper.

I initially wanted to be a Philosophy major but ended up switching because of the logistical issues.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-24-2019, 06:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Study.com also has Business Ethics and Management Ethics, both of which come in as Philosophy courses and the latter of which is UL.

You can get two Logic courses (the latter of which *might* come in as UL, I'm not sure) from BYU Independent Study.

But even with all that, you're a ways off from being able to finish the TESU degree via alternative methods. I don't know much about the other options, but I'd advise you to look into them. They might be quite a bit cheaper.

I initially wanted to be a Philosophy major but ended up switching because of the logistical issues.
So I’m actually interested in taking some of the TESU UL classes which is what I was hoping to do. I don’t want to actually test out the UL portion, I’m just trying to streamline everything else (GE/LL) so I can focus on taking the actual UL classes. Is this still a bad idea? I’m open to looking at different schools if I can get to the UL classes faster.
TESU only offers 4 upper level philosophy courses, and only one is what you would typically think of as philosophy:

Philosophy of Religion
Ethical Issues in Criminal Justice
Ethics and the Business Professional
Biomedical Ethics

So you can't just do your UL at TESU, unfortunately.
Completed:

Up Next:

(08-24-2019, 07:54 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: TESU only offers 4 upper level philosophy courses, and only one is what you would typically think of as philosophy:

Philosophy of Religion
Biomedical Ethics

Sorry I meant the electives when I mentioned UL.
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/philosophy
(08-24-2019, 07:58 PM)haxhaxhax Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 07:54 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: TESU only offers 4 upper level philosophy courses, and only one is what you would typically think of as philosophy:

Philosophy of Religion
Biomedical Ethics

Zero of the classes listed under electives here are classes offered by TESU, unfortunately. The only philosophy classes they offer are the four I mentioned before plus Contemporary Ethics and Intro to Critical Reasoning.
Completed:

Up Next:

(08-24-2019, 08:10 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 07:58 PM)haxhaxhax Wrote:

Philosophy of Religion
Biomedical Ethics

Zero of the classes listed under electives here are classes offered by TESU, unfortunately. The only philosophy classes they offer are the four I mentioned before plus Contemporary Ethics and Intro to Critical Reasoning.
Ahhh I see now. I was under the impression that link outlined what they were offering. Now I’m back to square one. Is there a good link or reference on the forum that can assist with the process of figuring out schools, requirements, and how to map them to transferable test out options?
Generally speaking, anything that has "ethics" in the title at Study.com will transfer over to TESU as philosophy

Also Saylor has a couple of LL Philosophy courses. It looks to me like you'd be about 3 classes short with the test out options I know. Not sure where you'd get Logic or History of Philosophy or Major Philosophers.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,348 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 531 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,235 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 279 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27