Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(help please) TESU not taking Computer Science 306
(10-10-2019, 02:05 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 01:53 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Hey AwardTour, just wondering and wanting to confirm - What are the 5 courses that can be done entirely through Study.com?

There are 4 courses now, not 5. Computer Science 306 at one time in the past may have counted towards a BSBA-CIS's area of study and upper level requirements, but that is no longer the case.

For TESU's BSBA-CIS there are 12 UL credits required in the Area of Study. 

Here is what will currently (as of October 2019) work from Study.com:

Computer Science 303: Database Management
 Computer Science 302: Systems Analysis & Design
 Business 303: Management Information Systems
 Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising

To clarify - the 5th UL course is the TESU Capstone for the BSBA, so you only need the 4 UL for the AOS that AwardTour listed
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • akr680
(10-10-2019, 02:37 PM)allvia Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 02:05 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 01:53 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Hey AwardTour, just wondering and wanting to confirm - What are the 5 courses that can be done entirely through Study.com?

There are 4 courses now, not 5. Computer Science 306 at one time in the past may have counted towards a BSBA-CIS's area of study and upper level requirements, but that is no longer the case.

For TESU's BSBA-CIS there are 12 UL credits required in the Area of Study. 

Here is what will currently (as of October 2019) work from Study.com:

Computer Science 303: Database Management
 Computer Science 302: Systems Analysis & Design
 Business 303: Management Information Systems
 Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising

To clarify - the 5th UL course is the TESU Capstone for the BSBA, so you only need the 4 UL for the AOS that AwardTour listed
How about Project Management (UL)? Will it work?
------------------

(10-08-2019, 06:08 PM)shadowgem Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that. Just experienced the same only with a ton of courses that they say no longer are credit eligible.

A TON? Which!??
(10-17-2019, 06:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 06:08 PM)shadowgem Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that. Just experienced the same only with a ton of courses that they say no longer are credit eligible.

A TON?  Which!??
So far...
StraighterLine
  • First Aid
Study.com
  • Microbiology
  • Healthcare Informatics
Coopersmith
  • Foundations of Sports Education
  • Gerontology
  • Computer Basics in Healthcare
  • Medical Terminology
  • Motor Development
[-] The following 1 user Likes shadowgem's post:
  • akr680
(10-17-2019, 07:35 PM)shadowgem Wrote:

A TON?  Which!??
So far...
StraighterLine
  • First Aid
Study.com
  • Microbiology
  • Healthcare Informatics
Coopersmith
  • Gerontology
  • Medical Terminology
  • Motor Development

I can't quite figure out why these aren't just considered Free Electives, rather than not accepted for credit at all.  Very strange.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-21-2019, 05:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

A TON?  Which!??
So far...
StraighterLine
  • First Aid
Study.com
  • Microbiology
  • Healthcare Informatics
Coopersmith
  • Gerontology
  • Medical Terminology
  • Motor Development

I can't quite figure out why these aren't just considered Free Electives, rather than not accepted for credit at all.  Very strange.

I don't know, but it seems to be provider specific as opposed to course specific. In fact some courses are part of the AOS and had been given TESU course equivalencies and told where they would apply in the degree plan ahead of time. But they refused to pre-plan them stating that they would not pre-plan any ACE courses. Then a couple of months later they indicated these specific course with these specific providers were "no longer accepted for credit" and/or "no longer received for credit".

For example:
Straighterline Microbiology is still accepted. Study.com's is "no longer accepted for credit"

So basically was told by advising that several courses would be fine to take to meet AOS requirements. E.g. SDC and/or SL would be fine to take as equivalent courses to meet microbiology. Then after taking SDC course, was told that the SDC course is no longer accepted but could take SL. And given they will not pre-plan any courses and this has occurred with a couple of courses now it's become a headache at this point.

And if that's not enough, several courses were suppose to apply to a certificate program. So when they were not applied, opened a ticket to resolve. Only now, they are also insisting 50% of the certificate program be completed through them and refusing to apply courses there as well. And despite several messages back and forth citing the policy should not be applied to students earning a certificate at the same time as a degree, much less a student who has already taken more than 16 credits with them, according to the policies listed in their catalog and on their website, there is still no clear response as to why they are not being applied. Their final response was to just close the open tickets as resolved after insisting no more courses could be transferred and the remaining ones would need to be completed via TESU lol

What bothers me most are these unpublished rules they are suddenly applying, coupled with not following very clearly published policies. And absolutely no clear answer as to why, when you ask. It's incredibly frustrating.
(10-21-2019, 06:30 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 05:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

A TON?  Which!??
So far...
StraighterLine
  • First Aid
Study.com
  • Microbiology
  • Healthcare Informatics
Coopersmith
  • Gerontology
  • Medical Terminology
  • Motor Development

I don't know, but it seems to be provider specific as opposed to course specific. In fact some courses are part of the AOS and had been given TESU course equivalencies and told where they would apply in the degree plan ahead of time. But they refused to pre-plan them stating that they would not pre-plan any ACE courses. Then a couple of months later they indicated these specific course with these specific providers were "no longer accepted for credit" and/or "no longer received for credit".

For example:
Straighterline Microbiology is still accepted. Study.com's is "no longer accepted for credit"

So basically was told by advising that several courses would be fine to take to meet AOS requirements. E.g. SDC and/or SL would be fine to take as equivalent courses to meet microbiology. Then after taking SDC course, was told that the SDC course is no longer accepted but could take SL. And given they will not pre-plan any courses and this has occurred with a couple of courses now it's become a headache at this point.

And if that's not enough, several courses were suppose to apply to a certificate program. So when they were not applied, opened a ticket to resolve. Only now, they are also insisting 50% of the certificate program be completed through them and refusing to apply courses there as well. And despite several messages back and forth citing the policy should not be applied to students earning a certificate at the same time as a degree, much less a student who has already taken more than 16 credits with them, according to the policies listed in their catalog and on their website, there is still no clear response as to why they are not being applied. Their final response was to just close the open tickets as resolved after insisting no more courses could be transferred and the remaining ones would need to be completed via TESU lol

What bothers me most are these unpublished rules they are suddenly applying, coupled with not following very clearly published policies. And absolutely no clear answer as to why, when you ask. It's incredibly frustrating.

I, like you, totally read their “rules” to mean that, as long as you were also getting a degree with them that the certificate courses could be transferred in. Hmmmm...... Were/Are you a registered student with them at the time? Like, taking your Cornerstone or something else? If not, I guess they could say you weren’t a current degree seeking student. If yes, well then that totally sucks as I was planning an Info Systems Cert for my twins.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(10-21-2019, 07:19 PM)TwinMom Wrote: I, like you, totally read their “rules” to mean that, as long as you were also getting a degree with them that the certificate courses could be transferred in. Hmmmm...... Were/Are you a registered student with them at the time? Like, taking your Cornerstone or something else? If not, I guess they could say you weren’t a current degree seeking student. If yes, well then that totally sucks as I was planning an Info Systems Cert for my twins.

Yes, enrolled, registered and taking classes through them. The policy interpretation is pretty clear. I don't believe either of us are confused by the published policy. Because the policy is ...well absolutely clear. Earn 50% through TESU OR Pay the RW fee in lieu of completing 50% via TESU OR Earn the Cert at the same time as another degree AND either Pay the RW fee or meet all residency requirements.

Undergraduate Certificate

Quote:
  • Undergraduate students who enroll in the University and seek to earn only a certificate must earn at least 50 percent of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings, with the following exceptions:
    • a student who has not earned at least 50 percent of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings may pay the residency waiver fee in order to be awarded the certificate

• if the certificate is awarded at the same time as a TESU associate or bachelor’s degree, the 50 percent TESU credit offering requirement for the certificate does not apply, nor does the residency waiver fee for the certificate. In this case, the student must meet all residency requirements for the associate or bachelor’s degree or pay the residency fee waiver for the degree, if required by the selected enrollment plan.

This is from their website, but it is also clearly stated in every published catalog they have on their website as well, including and up to the current one, which I also directed them to.

If they want to apply a new policy that is fine, but it should be published. And the point of locking in a catalog is to avoid these types of issues, or so I thought. What first appeared to be innocent errors became quickly clear, that for some reason they are applying new standards to individual courses even with approved providers and new/changed policies that have zero documentation that I could locate or that they would provide. And having the tickets closed without the issues being resolved was the equivalent of being hung up on by someone, which came across as completely unprofessional. But unfortunately it does leaves questions completely unanswered.
(10-21-2019, 08:14 PM)shadowgem Wrote: Yes, enrolled, registered and taking classes through them. The policy interpretation is pretty clear. I don't believe either of us are confused by the published policy. Because the policy is ...well absolutely clear. Earn 50% through TESU OR Pay the RW fee in lieu of completing 50% via TESU OR Earn the Cert at the same time as another degree AND either Pay the RW fee or meet all residency requirements.

Undergraduate Certificate

Quote:
  • Undergraduate students who enroll in the University and seek to earn only a certificate must earn at least 50 percent of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings, with the following exceptions:
    • a student who has not earned at least 50 percent of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings may pay the residency waiver fee in order to be awarded the certificate

• if the certificate is awarded at the same time as a TESU associate or bachelor’s degree, the 50 percent TESU credit offering requirement for the certificate does not apply, nor does the residency waiver fee for the certificate. In this case, the student must meet all residency requirements for the associate or bachelor’s degree or pay the residency fee waiver for the degree, if required by the selected enrollment plan.

This is from their website, but it is also clearly stated in every published catalog they have on their website as well, including and up to the current one, which I also directed them to.

If they want to apply a new policy that is fine, but it should be published. And the point of locking in a catalog is to avoid these types of issues, or so I thought. What first appeared to be innocent errors became quickly clear, that for some reason they are applying new standards to individual courses even with approved providers and new/changed policies that have zero documentation that I could locate or that they would provide. And having the tickets closed without the issues being resolved was the equivalent of being hung up on by someone, which came across as completely unprofessional. But unfortunately it does leaves questions completely unanswered.

In your shoes, I'd officially appeal to the registrar/dean. Both the microbiology course (you took it in good faith, from a partner, and after due diligence on your part) and the cert residency requirement. It might help. Do them separately. It's been done here a couple of times when TESU has erroneously applied policies or tried to apply new ones to existing students. If nothing else, you'll have a final answer.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • Library2HospitalChaplain, TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 16 718 1 hour ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 362 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 208 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 270 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,159 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP