Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU and ProctorU nightmare
I just got done with one of the worse experiences that I've had while in college. I scheduled two tests for today Introduction to Marketing and Principles of Management from TESU epack. 
Now the epacks are already a bit of a ripoff I think since they don't really teach anything. It's just a bunch of quizzes to see if you are ready to take a final exam from where they get your final grade. There are no study guides no instruction no assignment and the "classes" are over $1000 each. My job is paying for them and this way I establish residency. Fine I knew what I signed up for so I read both books and read them both. Introduction to Marketing is 19 chapters long and the going was tough. 
I took my Principles of marketing exam and from the beginning there was a glitch. I have a dedicated computer that I use for test taking. I rarely use the computer but I've made sure to put plenty or Ram and an SSD. With ASU I had one glitch at the beginning but then everything was fine. 
I made sure to update it so that everything would go smoothly. Once i was with the proctor he told me that he could not see my camera and they would transfer me to tech support. I found it weird since I was able to take a picture of my ID. I also tested it using testmycam online and it was streaming fine. 
The tech tells me the same thing can't see your cam, but the ProctorU website says that my equipment is ready to go. I can see myself on their window and point that out but she ignored it. Ten minutes went by and no word or movement. I said hello and sure enough there she was closing windows and seeing if she could "fix" my computer. Finally about two hours later my computer is "fixed" and I take my exam. I quickly took the exam since I had studied a lot for it. 
After I was done with that exam I immediately tried to start my second one principles of management. My Exam won't launch and I need tech support. After an hour I decide to just pay again and reschedule it again for about 30 mins later. That test launched fine when the time came. Everything seems at first but again there are "technical issues" can't see my cam and the proctor doesn't even let me say anything just transfers me to tech support. Same person as before I told her I just took my last exam. She almost seems like a bot repeating the same things. Can't see your cam, let me close your windows, can you log in, let me restart your computer. Again everything looks fine on my end I see the camera working and I see the video transmitting. After about an hour my exam finally closes. I tell the tech support lady that I was getting worried since my exam was gonna close. Right after I said that she said "ok everything is working now you can take your exam. 
I can't take it over at TESU anymore the exam has been blocked off. I spent over five hours dealing with this people. It almost looks like a scam where they don't have enough staff and make you wait until someone is free. There were long times like 20 minutes where tech support seems to not have done anything unless I prompted them to. 
I'm hoping that TESU will let me take it again but dealing with ProctorU is a nightmare. I'll get another computer ready with a clean installation of Windows to see if they have the same issues.
That's pretty standard with ProctorU. Because of issues like that, there are plenty of us who avoid StraighterLine, Coopersmith, and Saylor as much as possible, as well as TESU exams. I'd rather write essays than have to deal with ProctorU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • doom
I found this to be a common occurrence with ProctorU. Pre-COVID it happened on several occasions, but since they switched to working to home it seems like it got a lot worse. I kept getting the same proctors too, so I’m assuming there are very few.
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt - In progress
Straighterline - 72 credits
Sophia - 35 credits
Study.com - 21 credits
TEEX - 6 credits
East MS CC, Jackson State CC, Univ of TN at Martin, Olivet Nazarene, TESU - 27 credits
Goal: teaching cert, state of GA
ProctorU worked fine for me.  The only issue is they make you pay extra to take a test the same day.

One time my internet was sluggish and they couldn't see my camera.  Took me a while to figure it out and finally had to switch to a mobile hotspot to get it working.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
If work is paying why not just take a class at TESU for the residency? $1000 for an exam is ridiculous. For that much money there should be zero proctoring issues. People wonder why I will do pretty much anything to avoid proctors. Horror stories like this is why. Have you reported this situation to TESU?
Just FYI, a lot of classes at TESU have proctoring anyway. If it's a choice between a course that has both a midterm and a final exam, both proctored, or a single proctored exam, I can see choosing the one exam. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(11-23-2020, 11:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just FYI, a lot of classes at TESU have proctoring anyway. If it's a choice between a course that has both a midterm and a final exam, both proctored, or a single proctored exam, I can see choosing the one exam. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Even their classes have proctoring? Weird. One would think these proctoring issues would improve over time. What I see happening at WGU is that they seem to be getting worse. They used to use ProctorU and changed to Examity. I see sooooooo many complaints about Examity.
(11-23-2020, 11:34 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 11:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just FYI, a lot of classes at TESU have proctoring anyway. If it's a choice between a course that has both a midterm and a final exam, both proctored, or a single proctored exam, I can see choosing the one exam. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Even their classes have proctoring? Weird. One would think these proctoring issues would improve over time. What I see happening at WGU is that they seem to be getting worse. They used to use ProctorU and changed to Examity. I see sooooooo many complaints about Examity.

If you check the online syllabus for the classes, you'll see several that have a proctored midterm and a proctored final. I wish TESU would let you choose between ProctorU and RPNow. I'd even be willing to pay extra for RPNow.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(11-23-2020, 12:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you check the online syllabus for the classes, you'll see several that have a proctored midterm and a proctored final. I wish TESU would let you choose between ProctorU and RPNow. I'd even be willing to pay extra for RPNow.

RPNow's tech support is abominable, but as long as you don't have any tech issues (or can fix them yourself), RPNow seems pretty decent.

Distance learning would be drastically improved with either some industry-wide standards for proctoring services, or the ability to select from one of several options. As it is right now, it's kind of the wild west and each proctor service holds an absolute monopoly within each alt-credit provider.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,155 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch