Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU General Ed Electives, Transfer Limits
Hi there,

My plan is to transfer all credits required for one of TESU's associate diplomas, and in particular:
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/mathematics

It's my understanding that transfer limits has changed at TESU, and it has a 45/90 rule - that is, 45 credits may be transferred for associate programs, and 90 for bachelor programs.

I believe these limits are for each source - is that correct?

My understanding too is that ACE / CLEP / DSST / etc is considered a single source for credits.

--

What I'd like to do is maximize the number of credits to transfer. Would I be able to transfer 45 credits combined from Sophia/Straighterline/Study.com and then transfer all remaining math courses from WGU, leaving only SOS-101 course left to do at TESU.

Is this possible?

Thanks so much for your help.
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:pointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:pointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
The ASNSM Math is way too expensive to get on its own. It's almost as much as a Bachelor's degree! You don't need an associate capstone but you do still need the cornerstone. Plus the residency waiver. It's about $4500 for just an Associate's degree or about $6000 for a Bachelor's. But an Associate's degree can be "free" when you simultaneously graduate with a Bachelor's. Plus, if you are attending WGU for a Bachelor's, an Associate's degree isn't really going to be worth anything once you have the higher degree.

However, if you don't care about the money, you are confusing the old rule and the new rule. The current rule for TESU is that 45 credits for an Associate's degree and 90 credits for a Bachelor's degree may come from non-collegiate sources. Non-collegiate sources include SDC, Sophia, SL, etc.

Collegiate sources include the capstone (if required), the cornerstone, TECEPs, UExcels, and credits from other RA institutions. This does include WGU.

https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/faqs-transfer-credit
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • mweichert
(03-15-2021, 06:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The ASNSM Math is way too expensive to get on its own. It's almost as much as a Bachelor's degree! You don't need an associate capstone but you do still need the cornerstone. Plus the residency waiver. It's about $4500 for just an Associate's degree or about $6000 for a Bachelor's. But an Associate's degree can be "free" when you simultaneously graduate with a Bachelor's. Plus, if you are attending WGU for a Bachelor's, an Associate's degree isn't really going to be worth anything once you have the higher degree.

However, if you don't care about the money, you are confusing the old rule and the new rule. The current rule for TESU is that 45 credits for an Associate's degree and 90 credits for a Bachelor's degree may come from non-collegiate sources. Non-collegiate sources include SDC, Sophia, SL, etc.

Collegiate sources include the capstone (if required), the cornerstone, TECEPs, UExcels, and credits from other RA institutions. This does include WGU.

https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/faqs-transfer-credit

Thank you so much for the clarification and the tip about associate and bachelor degrees. Makes sense.

Have a great day!
Hi there,

Many of TESU's degrees require 15-20 general education electives beyond some of their core requirements.

It looks like the # of courses that qualify as a "general ed elective" are listed here:
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after

I was then consulting this table of equivalencies from Sophia:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

Does that mean that Sophia's Visual Communications wouldn't count as a general ed elective?

Thanks!
Mike
Visual Communications counts under "Knowledge of Human Cultures". This makes it a gen ed elective. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TESU only lists their own courses there, so look at the first 3 letters of the course equivalency to see what types of courses they'll bring in. For GE Electives, it's anything from Humanities (Art, Communications, English, Lit, Religion, Music, Philosophy, etc), Social Sciences (Anthropology, CJ, Econ, History, PoliSci, Psych Sociology, etc.), Math, Natural Sciences, or CompSci.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-15-2021, 04:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU only lists their own courses there, so look at the first 3 letters of the course equivalency to see what types of courses they'll bring in.  For GE Electives, it's anything from Humanities (Art, Communications, English, Lit, Religion, Music, Philosophy, etc), Social Sciences (Anthropology, CJ, Econ, History, PoliSci, Psych Sociology, etc.), Math, Natural Sciences, or CompSci.

Hi @dfrecore

Thanks for the details here. A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:

Quote:TESU only lists their own courses there, so look at the first 3 letters of the course equivalency to see what types of courses they'll bring in

So looking here, I can see that Sophia's "Approaches to Studying Religions" gets transferred as REL-100 Introduction to Religion. REL-100 isn't shown on this list of General Ed courses TESU accepts/provides. However, in that list are courses that have REL as the first three letters under a few different categories: I think your point is that because a REL course exists in those categories that REL-100 will be accepted for one of those categories as well, despite not being explicitly listed. Is that correct?

Thanks for your assistance. I'd be lost without this forum.
@rachel83az

Quote:The current rule for TESU is that 45 credits for an Associate's degree and 90 credits for a Bachelor's degree may come from non-collegiate sources. Non-collegiate sources include SDC, Sophia, SL, etc

Would CompTIA be considered a non-collegiate source as well?

Thanks!
(03-17-2021, 02:50 PM)mweichert Wrote: @rachel83az

Quote:The current rule for TESU is that 45 credits for an Associate's degree and 90 credits for a Bachelor's degree may come from non-collegiate sources. Non-collegiate sources include SDC, Sophia, SL, etc

Would CompTIA be considered a non-collegiate source as well?

Thanks!

Yes.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-17-2021, 02:47 PM)mweichert Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 04:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU only lists their own courses there, so look at the first 3 letters of the course equivalency to see what types of courses they'll bring in.  For GE Electives, it's anything from Humanities (Art, Communications, English, Lit, Religion, Music, Philosophy, etc), Social Sciences (Anthropology, CJ, Econ, History, PoliSci, Psych Sociology, etc.), Math, Natural Sciences, or CompSci.

Hi @dfrecore

Thanks for the details here. A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:

Quote:TESU only lists their own courses there, so look at the first 3 letters of the course equivalency to see what types of courses they'll bring in

So looking here, I can see that Sophia's "Approaches to Studying Religions" gets transferred as REL-100 Introduction to Religion. REL-100 isn't shown on this list of General Ed courses TESU accepts/provides. However, in that list are courses that have REL as the first three letters under a few different categories: I think your point is that because a REL course exists in those categories that REL-100 will be accepted for one of those categories as well, despite not being explicitly listed. Is that correct?

Thanks for your assistance. I'd be lost without this forum.

Yes.  I think it no longer works as a Diversity course, but it still works in Knowledge of Human Cultures or GE Electives.

This thread is about GE Electives, which is not the same as the specific courses that will work for the specific requirements.  So things that count as REL are in the general Category of HUMANITIES, which are GE courses; but that doesn't mean that all REL courses will come in as a DIVERSITY course.  Those are much more specific.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 60 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 74 Yesterday, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 68 Yesterday, 11:36 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 121 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 252 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 204 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 414 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 481 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,048 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 800 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts