Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU and WGU offer credit for edX MicroBachelors® Programs
(11-03-2020, 10:23 AM)nomaduser Wrote: But I found MicroBachelor credits won't come with letter grades. TESU will give 'CR (credit)' grade for all of MicroBachelor courses so the credits won't likely transfer to any other institution. I have asked other universities' admissions. They said 'CR' grade is considered continuing education course so they can't accept that for transfer. I'm sending complaints about this to Edx. Hopefully, they will fix it. I think 98% of US institutions won't accept transfer credits without letter grades.
Here's how MicroBachelor course credit will look like on TESU transcript:

First, 98% is very high, and completely incorrect.

Second, what you're talking about is credit laundering, which typically doesn't work at all.  You're trying to take a course from a provider, bring it into TESU for credit, and then talking about transferring it from TESU to another school, which doesn't work.

What you have to find out is whether the school you're talking about will accept this particular MicroBachelor course.  Not whether they will accept a CR course from TESU that you didn't take there.  It's the same as if you took a CLEP exam or Study.com course and transferred it to TESU for credit - you couldn't then transfer that to another school straight from TESU, you'd have to ask whether the school accepts CLEP exams or ACE credit, and if they did, send the CLEP scores on a CLEP transcript, or send an ACE/Acclaim transcript to them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(11-03-2020, 10:19 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Yeah.. but the courses won't come with letter grades. We need to ask Edx to fix this.
https://courses.edx.org/support/contact_us

How can they create this amazing program without course letter grades on transcript??
Without letter grades, it's extremely difficult to transfer the credits to any institution.
I'm surprised big names like Boeing and Walmart are funding this program. The program has flaws... only few online colleges will ever accept transfer credits without letter grades.
MicroBachelor credits can be useful at TESU though...

Why would you need a letter grade, when it's not from a college?  I don't get why you're asking for that when it's not normal credit. EdX is not a school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(11-04-2020, 07:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why would you need a letter grade, when it's not from a college?  I don't get why you're asking for that when it's not normal credit. EdX is not a school.

So, what MicroBachelor program proposes is giving you 'transferable' college credits for your degree completion.

But as I have said, you can't transfer those credits without letter grades on transcript. Most of universities and colleges won't allow you to transfer those credits.
Here's a quote from Edx page:

"Real College Credit

Each program comes with real, transferable college credit from one of edX's university credit partners. Combined with previous credit you may have already collected or plan to get in the future, MicroBachelors programs put you on a path to earning a full bachelor's degree."

But when I asked university admissions if they can accept 'CR' grade on transcript, they told me 'CR' grade is considered continuing education course so it won't be accepted.

They should fix the letter grade problem... otherwise I don't think many of you will be able to transfer the credits to colleges other than TESU and perhaps WGU.
If you're enrolled at TESU, then there's nothing to worry about. MicroBachelor credits can be used as general elective credits at TESU.
If it was P instead of CR, would that matter? A letter grade doesn't show through ACE anyway. ACE just says you passed or failed.
(11-04-2020, 10:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If it was P instead of CR, would that matter? A letter grade doesn't show through ACE anyway. ACE just says you passed or failed.

I think it won't make any difference. P or CR both won't transfer easily. You'll have hard time trying to transfer those credits with maybe 95% failure rate.
You'll need real letter grades .. A, B, C, D
TESU is giving you credits on their own transcript but something is wrong... I'm sending more complaints to both TESU and Edx soon.
(11-04-2020, 11:00 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 10:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If it was P instead of CR, would that matter? A letter grade doesn't show through ACE anyway. ACE just says you passed or failed.

I think it won't make any difference. P or CR both won't transfer easily. You'll have hard time trying to transfer those credits with maybe 95% failure rate.
You'll need real letter grades .. A, B, C, D
TESU is giving you credits on their own transcript but something is wrong... I'm sending more complaints to both TESU and Edx soon.

Why do you need real letter grades? You're transferring the credit to a college. You won't get a letter grade from them. It will come in as TR meaning it transferred. I'm so confused why people are so hung up on this letter grade thing.
Where are you getting that "95% failure rate?" In the other thread you said it was 98%.

Did you ask one college and they said no? 

TECEPS, CLEPs, and many actual college courses are pass/fail only. In fact, there's an entire college(WGU) that only offers pass/fail courses. Sure, the lack of a letter grade is less than ideal, but I wouldn't say it'll lead to a 95% fail to transfer rate. Rolleyes
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • ss20ts
Does anyone know how this would differ from TEL Learning? I've seen suggested elsewhere on the forum that TEL Learning is transcripted to be RA credit. Is that what these edx courses will be like when transcripted at TESU?

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
Just thought I'd update that the WGUx IT Career Framework "MicroBachelor's" is no longer listed on edX. It only really existed as an expensive($1000+) way to meet entrance requirements for WGU's IT degrees. Since WGU launched their WGU Academy shortly after, which has classes that apply to all of WGU's schools and is much cheaper($150/month) while being ACE credits(SL), the WGUx Micro Bach seemed redundant. 

As a side note, the edX MicroBachelor's program has been a failure in my opinion since the majority of classes evaluated at TESU were either evaluated as expensive free electives(like ASU's English composition courses which would be cheaper and more useful to take directly from the ASU EA program) or easy to satisfy by cheaper alternative means(like the TEEX cybersecurity courses). Furthermore, edX didn't deliver on its promise to offer these courses at an average of $166/credit since TESU evaluated many of the courses as being fewer credits than intended(for example the NYUx cybersecurity fundamentals program was designed to be 3 3-credit courses, but TESU only evaluated it as 2 3-credit courses) and the prices weren't adjusted accordingly. The one caveat is that if one were to apply for and be accepted for a 90% scholarship, it's a fantastic value.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
(06-29-2021, 05:55 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Just thought I'd update that the WGUx IT Career Framework "MicroBachelor's" is no longer listed on edX. It only really existed as an expensive($1000+) way to meet entrance requirements for WGU's IT degrees. Since WGU launched their WGU Academy shortly after, which has classes that apply to all of WGU's schools and is much cheaper($150/month) while being ACE credits(SL), the WGUx Micro Bach seemed redundant. 

As a side note, the edX MicroBachelor's program has been a failure in my opinion since the majority of classes evaluated at TESU were either evaluated as expensive free electives(like ASU's English composition courses which would be cheaper and more useful to take directly from the ASU EA program) or easy to satisfy by cheaper alternative means(like the TEEX cybersecurity courses). Furthermore, edX didn't deliver on its promise to offer these courses at an average of $166/credit since TESU evaluated many of the courses as being fewer credits than intended(for example the NYUx cybersecurity fundamentals program was designed to be 3 3-credit courses, but TESU only evaluated it as 2 3-credit courses) and the prices weren't adjusted accordingly. The one caveat is that if one were to apply for and be accepted for a 90% scholarship, it's a fantastic value.

Financial assistance is not currently available for Professional Education courses. 

https://support.edx.org/hc/en-us/article...tificates-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 501 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 672 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 822 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,785 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,519 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,386 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TADA credit NapoleonInRags 16 1,879 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az