Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU business degree plan (thread probably exists, just not finding it)
This is probably a question that's already answered, but with so many similar thread titles, I'm not finding what I'm looking for. So apologies if this is spam.

But - short version - is there a cheapest/fastest/easiest plan for all TESU business requirements for the bachelor's in business posted here? I think I've seen it before, just not finding it now.

I have a large number of transferrable credits (~100 hours) including many upper level courses, but NONE in business. I was an English Lit major in a past life. So for now, let's assume I need nothing outside of business (and universal TESU requirements such as capstone), but I need everything within the business program itself.

Thanks!

Longer version:
- I was accepted at COSC and transferred in 100 hours, but still need every business class, plus a math class and an oral communication class
- I was accepted into the liberal studies program at Excelsior before realizing I would rather get a business degree, even though it'll take longer. For the Excelsior liberal studies program, I believe I needed about five classes plus the capstone. I have not checked on an Excelsior business program.
- I was just accepted into TESU but haven't sent a transcript yet to evaluate prior credits; I assume the result will be not too different from COSC.
- Once I have a bit more info, I will choose one (most likely between TESU and COSC) and start chipping away.
What you got for your COSC eval will have little to do with what your TESU eval is, since they have completely different requirements. So don't ever count on that.

Here is a generic TESU BSBA spreadsheet. But if you post your credits on here, we can help you better understand where everything would fit into the plan.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">TESU 2016 BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 34.24 KB / Downloads: 93)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore - I am not familiar with TESU, but do they not require a lab in their Understanding the Physical & Natural World core?
dfrecore Wrote:What you got for your COSC eval will have little to do with what your TESU eval is, since they have completely different requirements. So don't ever count on that.

Here is a generic TESU BSBA spreadsheet. But if you post your credits on here, we can help you better understand where everything would fit into the plan.

Thanks, the spreadsheet is very helpful.

As for assuming COSC and TESU will give the same transfer credit ... I don't think it will be precisely the same, but I did pass something like 120 hours at a selective state university in the past, including lots of upper level classes, and so far, COSC and Excelsior have both given me credit that covers the majority of "general" requirements, missing a few specific classes and of course in my case, missing ALL business requirements (since I did not study business back then). I'm sure TESU will be different in some ways, but I would be surprised if it's drastically different, outside of the business requirements themselves. If it was much different, I would probably choose COSC. The reason is, at COSC, my only remaining requirements other than business are 1 math and 1 oral communication (and cornerstone and capstone, sigh). So unless TESU doesn't require the math or oral communication, or anything equivalent to those, I don't see how it can be better ... only the same or worse.
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:dfrecore - I am not familiar with TESU, but do they not require a lab in their Understanding the Physical & Natural World core?

Not only do they not require a lab, they don't require any science courses - you could use CompSci courses if you wanted to.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Kjnova Wrote:Thanks, the spreadsheet is very helpful.

As for assuming COSC and TESU will give the same transfer credit ... I don't think it will be precisely the same, but I did pass something like 120 hours at a selective state university in the past, including lots of upper level classes, and so far, COSC and Excelsior have both given me credit that covers the majority of "general" requirements, missing a few specific classes and of course in my case, missing ALL business requirements (since I did not study business back then). I'm sure TESU will be different in some ways, but I would be surprised if it's drastically different, outside of the business requirements themselves. If it was much different, I would probably choose COSC. The reason is, at COSC, my only remaining requirements other than business are 1 math and 1 oral communication (and cornerstone and capstone, sigh). So unless TESU doesn't require the math or oral communication, or anything equivalent to those, I don't see how it can be better ... only the same or worse.

Even if they didn't apply them the same, there are still some benefits to going with TESU over COSC:
1) TESU only requires 12cr of UL in the Area of Study - COSC requires 30cr of UL throughout the degree. So if you don't already have a lot of UL, it's much easier to get over that bar at TESU (this wouldn't apply to you specifically, but for someone reading this thread later...)
2) At TESU, the cornerstone can be waived, and the Capstone can be tested out of (TECEP for Strategic Management). So, the time factor is much better there.
3) Every TESU requirement for business can be had for $100/course or less (average) using the main methods we use here (SL, Study.com, CLEP, DSST, Saylor). You could average less if you took more courses from a provider in a month (3+ courses at either SL or Study.com). I'm not certain about COSC on that.

So, it's just a matter of figuring out not only what you'll get credit for, but also what you need and how quickly you can get through those requirements. You may be an outlier with so many credits already, but most here on this forum wanting to get a BSBA degree end up at TESU.

So, it's just a matter of plugging it all into a spreadsheet and then figuring out which will be the fastest/cheapest (whichever is more important to you).

Good luck!
dfrecore Wrote:Not only do they not require a lab, they don't require any science courses - you could use CompSci courses if you wanted to.

Doesn't at least one of the TEEX classes come in as CIS? Could be handy
Here is my spreadsheet for the Cheapest GM degree that I came up with so far. Everything on here I believe is still available. Currently ALEKS only has till 1/31/17 until it's no longer an option.

.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">Cheapest GM.xlsx (Size: 13.42 KB / Downloads: 61)
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Here is my spreadsheet for the Cheapest GM degree that I came up with so far. Everything on here I believe is still available. Currently ALEKS only has till 1/31/17 until it's no longer an option.

Cheapest GM.xlsx

It looks remarkably similar to my spreadsheets!

There are a few changes you could make to get it to the absolute cheapest - more use of Saylor courses (Comparative Politics instead of American Government, the science or nat science courses, Business Stats for the AOS, Financial Accounting), plus an additional course at Study.com (you have 5 on there, so the average cost per course there goes up), plus using more Shmoop courses since you're paying for it already.

You also don't have a cost in there for the SL membership, which is $99/mo. It's also going to be more expensive because you need SL books if they're not included in the cost of the course, so that's where Study.com becomes the cheaper alternative. I used 8 Study.com courses for my cheapest plan.

The TEEX Cyber 201 course can be moved to GE Electives, and then one of the free NFA courses could be used in Free Electives.

I think I got mine down to about $4032 using the same parameters as you of no SL membership fees, while yours is $4470.

But overall, this is one of the cheaper plans.

It's also an option to get the costs down even further by applying and getting the Study.com scholarship (6 free courses), taking additional courses through Study.com while your membership is going ($70/course), and using coupons for SL and Study.com.

It used to be the case that you would try to use as many 6cr CLEP exams as possible, but since Saylor came along, there are cheaper alternatives.

The other thing that's not on here, and not available to everyone - but for anyone who is fluent in a foreign language, those credits are incredibly cheap! You can get a lot of credits for a few hundred bucks.
This thread is great and just what I needed. I was given the study.com scholarship and started on it yesterday, it really gave me the kick I needed to get going again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,670 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,128 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,665 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,744 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,361 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,606 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,337 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,394 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic