Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU changes?
does anyone know if there are supposed to be changes at TESU this summer? I was going to lock in my associates if so - i have all the credits - while i work towards the bsba. since i don't have to pay the residency waiver twice as long as the bachelors is completed 12 months from time of payment.

if anyone has heard anything please let me know, thanks
As long as you're enrolled, that locks in the catalog and keeps the degree requirements from changing. If you do decide to graduate the associate's sooner just make sure life doesn't get in the way of you finishing the BSBA before the waiver runs out.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Taking a LL TECEP is the lowest cost way to become enrolled (& lock your catalog year) for a year
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-11-2019, 01:46 PM)saraholson Wrote: does anyone know if there are supposed to be changes at TESU this summer? I was going to lock in my associates if so - i have all the credits - while i work towards the bsba. since i don't have to pay the residency waiver twice as long as the bachelors is completed 12 months from time of payment.

if anyone has heard anything please let me know, thanks

TESU makes changes every year. Considering they did a catalog update in January they may not need to do another in July as well, but to be safe I'd assume they will. If they do, I would expect that they won't make a huge number of changes from 2019A, but there is no way to know. Some years there are no changes made to the degree requirements at all.

Either way, if you're concerned you should take davewill's advice and add the degree now to make sure it's locked into the 2019A catalog ahead of any changes for the 2019-2020 catalog.

Also keep in mind that locking into a catalog year for a degree plan only affects the degree requirements. The tuition costs and fees are almost guaranteed to increase, and discounts like the SDC affiliate discount could be reduced (or they could even go away altogether), but those sorts of changes are not affected by catalog year.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I'd lock it in if I were you. Enroll, transfer everything, and take an easy LL TECEP exam sooner rather than later. Make sure you put the AA and BA on your account. You can choose to apply for graduation for your AA sooner rather than later, although I'm not one to pay for an AA unless there's a darn good reason to do so (like you get a raise at work or something). But I would wait out the AA as long as possible, to give yourself time to finish the BA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
thank you everyone, i actually am enrolled and my degrees are in their system, i am more concerned with price changes for the residency waiver fee or something like that... also i live in fear of somehow this whole thing being just a dream and i am going to be told 'oh sorry, we are cancelling our support for alternative credits and you have to start all over' LOL Sad
Can we assume that if changes are made they are usually for the worse? I just started my process and am debating on enrolling now just to lock in.

And if I do enroll now and am locked into 2019A, can I just let my enrollment status expire (in 1 year) if we like the summer changes and reapply to be under the new catalog?
No guarantees about fees changing. They will usually change on July 1, but they CAN change any time. As far as the alternative credit, they certainly aren't going to "cancel support", but changes are made every now and then. The only protection is getting them transferred and on your transcript. Once they are, TESU has always honored them in the past.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-12-2019, 10:58 AM)saraholson Wrote: thank you everyone, i actually am enrolled and my degrees are in their system, i am more concerned with price changes for the residency waiver fee or something like that... also i live in fear of somehow this whole thing being just a dream and i am going to be told 'oh sorry, we are cancelling our support for alternative credits and you have to start all over' LOL Sad

So you can't lock in prices, only rules on how things apply to the degrees - so if they changed in the future and everyone had to take a 3rd English course, for instance, it wouldn't apply to anyone who was already enrolled and locked into a catalog.

If they changed the residency waiver price, then yes, if you hadn't already paid it, then you'd be stuck with the new price.  But, that still doesn't mean you should pay it, without making 100% sure that you can graduate with both the AA and BA in a year.  Let's assume that they change the price of the RW from $2200 (current price with Study.com discount) to $2500 (with discount) on 7/1.  Let's assume that you decide to pay the $2200 on 6/15 to save yourself $300, and you graduate with your AA in September.  Then, something happens in your life (things DO happen) to derail your progress, and suddenly it's July 2020, you haven't taken the capstone and only have 93 credits, and there is zero chance of you graduating in September.  Well, you saved yourself $300, but now you're going to have to pay $2500 to get your BA.

I'm not saying this WILL happen, I'm just saying that it CAN happen.

As for the bad dream, I actually had that too!!  Several times as the years dragged on.  But I figured the worst thing that could happen is that I'd have a setback and have to switch to EC or COSC, and go back and do some additional courses.  But, nothing terrible happened and I graduated.

(04-12-2019, 12:22 PM)All Seas Wrote: Can we assume that if changes are made they are usually for the worse? I just started my process and am debating on enrolling now just to lock in.

And if I do enroll now and am locked into 2019A, can I just let my enrollment status expire (in 1 year) if we like the summer changes and reapply to be under the new catalog?

Yes, you can assume that prices will go up, and the catalog will get more stringent.  So better to lock it in now.  Later if something good happens, you can switch to the new catalog.

I actually had this happen (kind of).  I was on the 2014/15 catalog, where you could use TECEP's for residency, but you needed 24cr (so 8 TECEP's).  Then, they changed the catalog (maybe 2016) and TECEP's no longer counted for residency.  Obviously I was grandfathered in, but they changed it to 16cr necessary instead of 24.  They switched me to that number, while still letting me count the TECEP's so it was a definite win for me.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 786 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch