Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU credit banking towards Bachelor degree
Just wondering if someone used TESU credit banking service for SDC courses in past and try to enroll in Bachelor. In this situation  will these credit banked courses be considered as TESU equivalents and can be directly applied towards chosen Bachelor ( if they meet degree requirements)? For example if TESU credit banked SDC Data Structures as equivalent to their course in 2019. One will apply for BACS few years later, will this course be used as already evaluated TESU equivalent and counted towards degree ?
I would imagine that any credits banked in that way would probably be brought in as what they are now because I don't think they get banked as their equivalents. I could be wrong on that count, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I was just thinking about it. Logically if they credit bank- it means they consider it as equivalent to their courses. So does it make sense to reevaluate this course again ?
Credit bank does not equal enrollment. Once you apply, they evaluate your transcripts. Just because a course was credit banked in 2019 does not mean it will be accepted in 2021. Credit banking is really just a list of all of your courses taken everywhere. It's not a transcription evaluation unless they do it much differently than other schools. You also pay for credit banking. I'm not really sure what the point of credit banking is except to have a nice list for yourself. Most schools still require the official transcript from the institution where you earned the credit from.
As I understand its not just putting ur credits together. University credit bank if they consider the courses as equivalent to their courses. Since they do put it on their transcripts which can be used for professional certifications such as CPA and so on. So as i understand its not just keeping ur courses in 1 place. Its  University transcript for credit banked courses which is most of value.
I never said credit bank= enrollment
Dumb question - why wouldn't someone just apply and enroll, get the courses on an actual evaluation? It's only $50 to apply, and $50 to register for a 1cr TECEP exam. The Individual Learning Account is $300 or $400 PER YEAR, depending on how many credits you have. It makes WAY more financial sense to just be a student there, and continue enrolling each year.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-09-2021, 07:32 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: As I understand its not just putting ur credits together. University credit bank if they consider the courses as equivalent to their courses. Since they do put it on their transcripts which can be used for professional certifications such as CPA and so on. So as i understand its not just keeping ur courses in 1 place. Its  University transcript for credit banked courses which is most of value.
I never said credit bank= enrollment

This may depend on the school. Many credit bankings do not evaluate the courses and compare them that college. Excelsior does not evaluate your courses. They just stick everything on one transcript. 

https://www.excelsior.edu/support-resour...ranscript/

Even TESU's website does not say they will evaluate the credits. They just simply put them together as one transcript.

https://www.tesu.edu/military/credit-banking

Some states require the transcripts for CPA licensing to be sent from the institution in which they were earned. Some states are VERY picky about these things. 

ETA: The application says this:

Students may choose to enroll at a later time, but there is no guarantee that all credits will be counted toward a degree program at Thomas Edison State University.

This application is not to be used if you are a degree-seeking student at Thomas Edison State University.

https://campussuite-storage.s3.amazonaws...iceApp.pdf

(02-09-2021, 07:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Dumb question - why wouldn't someone just apply and enroll, get the courses on an actual evaluation?  It's only $50 to apply, and $50 to register for a 1cr TECEP exam.  The Individual Learning Account is $300 or $400 PER YEAR, depending on how many credits you have.  It makes WAY more financial sense to just be a student there, and continue enrolling each year.

Question is not dumb. Everyone has different situation in life. If Question exists there is reason for that.....

Great thanks for help. It clear things up
It would be better to apply and enroll in a TECEP to gain enrolled status. Afterwards enroll in a TECEP once a year. It will be cheaper and it will set your catalog year. Credit banking doesn't accomplish that and costs a lot more. You don't even actually have to TAKE the TECEP if you don't want to. With credit banking you have no guarantee that they will honor the units later or that they will still apply to your degree in the same way.

About the only thing that credit banking is good for is transcripting courses for non-academic purposes like CPA certification or employer requirements. Even in those cases, you can enroll instead to save money.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thank u all for input

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 80 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 174 6 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,844 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 284 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 237 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM