Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - credit questions
Hi! I started this journey a long time ago and haven't completed it, but I just recently revamped my degree plan for Liberal Studies with a Social Sciences concentration and plan to start chipping away again. A lot of the credit requirements seemed to have changed since I last looked, so I have some questions regarding the transfer allowances. I saw this info after I plotted all the credit sources so I'm assuming I'll need to change some things, but it's my understanding that at the moment 90 of the 120 credits can come from transfers, but the remaining 30 credits need to come from TECEPs or TESU courses?

Here's my plan if anybody has a moment to review it:

BA Liberal Studies / Social Sciences Plan

Thanks!
There are changes to the plan, you just need to remember... 30 credits must be RA, 6 credits must be from TESU (Cornerstone and Capstone), you can transfer in 90 ACE/NCCRS credits and in total, you can transfer in 114 credits.  Having said that, if you decide to transfer in 114 credits, you'll need to pay the residency waiver fee, there are options to skip the fee by taking 16 residency credits.

At this point in time, you should decide either to keep going with TESU or going with UMPI and provide us more info, I would recommend you to take some time to review your credits and the WIKI page here, it has all the details in regards to the required general education and BALS or other degree programs that may interest you.  Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

SOS 110 is the Cornerstone.  TECEP's can't be used for residency unless you're an active service person (army/military, navy, etc). Here are a few links to review, it'll tell you everything you need to know about the 16 credits vs the residency waiver fee and options to go about it.  Basically, it depends on what your energy, money, time, subject interest and level of knowledge is in that/those subjects.  I would take some time to read through these links:

Courses vs Residency Waiver #1: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ng-Courses
16 Credits vs Residency Waiver #2: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Waiver-Fee
ACTFL/Foreign Credits: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r-to-Big-3
Transfer Policy: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained

BTW, you missed the template and last post addendum here: New to DegreeForum? How this Area works! | I usually recommend people to fill in all the info so it gives us a clearer picture of what exactly you're looking for and with these details it provides us a better overview of your goals, it helps us determine how we can best help you as each person has a different situation or scenario...

Last but not least, you should create a spreadsheet by following the link above for General Education and the degree of choice, be it the BALS or another, once you have that done, you can complete the bulk of your lower level courses with Sophia.org not Study.com, you should use Study.com for upper level credit instead, this is also for UMPI.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • lawrewen
(03-17-2023, 07:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are changes to the plan, you just need to remember... 30 credits must be RA, 6 credits must be from TESU (Cornerstone and Capstone), you can transfer in 90 ACE/NCCRS credits and in total, you can transfer in 114 credits.  Having said that, if you decide to transfer in 114 credits, you'll need to pay the residency waiver fee, there are options to skip the fee by taking 16 residency credits.

At this point in time, you should decide either to keep going with TESU or going with UMPI and provide us more info, I would recommend you to take some time to review your credits and the WIKI page here, it has all the details in regards to the required general education and BALS or other degree programs that may interest you.  Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

SOS 110 is the Cornerstone.  TECEP's can't be used for residency unless you're an active service person (army/military, navy, etc). Here are a few links to review, it'll tell you everything you need to know about the 16 credits vs the residency waiver fee and options to go about it.  Basically, it depends on what your energy, money, time, subject interest and level of knowledge is in that/those subjects.  I would take some time to read through these links:

Courses vs Residency Waiver #1: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ng-Courses
16 Credits vs Residency Waiver #2: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Waiver-Fee
ACTFL/Foreign Credits: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r-to-Big-3
Transfer Policy: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained

BTW, you missed the template and last post addendum here: New to DegreeForum? How this Area works! | I usually recommend people to fill in all the info so it gives us a clearer picture of what exactly you're looking for and with these details it provides us a better overview of your goals, it helps us determine how we can best help you as each person has a different situation or scenario...

Last but not least, you should create a spreadsheet by following the link above for General Education and the degree of choice, be it the BALS or another, once you have that done, you can complete the bulk of your lower level courses with Sophia.org not Study.com, you should use Study.com for upper level credit instead, this is also for UMPI.

Thanks! That gives me a little more clarity. I already completed a spreadsheet with all of the degree requirements and credit placements, it's in the link I posted. As far as where to slot in the RA credits - do they need to be specifically in the area of study, or is it just 30 RA credits in the entire degree, including the gen ed? Also, why Sophia for lower level and study.com for upper level?
It's 30 RA credits wherever they fit. Gen Ed's are usually cheapest and easiest, even if this sometimes means redoing something you've already taken from an alternate source.

Sophia for LL because they are cheap ($99/mo. or less for unlimited course completion) and all they have are LL.

Study.com for UL because they have UL. Because they're $200/mo for two exams each month, plus $70 for additional exams up to 5 exams total per month, it'd be both more expensive and take longer if you filled out your LL requirements entirely from SDC instead of using Sophia.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
kevinks Wrote:Thanks! That gives me a little more clarity. I already completed a spreadsheet with all of the degree requirements and credit placements, it's in the link I posted. As far as where to slot in the RA credits - do they need to be specifically in the area of study, or is it just 30 RA credits in the entire degree, including the gen ed? Also, why Sophia for lower level and study.com for upper level?

Exactly what Rachel83Az mentioned. You can get from 0 credits to 90+ credits with Sophia.org in 3-4 months, you can't get that many courses done with Study.com if you have the energy/time to work on your courses and in a 'time crunch'.

In addition to that, I usually recommend investing in a second monitor for multi-tasking and searching for answers while you work on your Sophia.org first as they are non-proctored and then Study.com for the remainder of your requirements.  

Here's an example, I have a laptop and a second screen for searching through the learning Sophia.org material, when I have Study.com proctoring, I just remove the monitor and am ready to go through the final exam.

I mentioned UMPI, since you have NO RA credits, you may want to just do up to 90 credits (remaining credits at Sophia.org) and if you have the energy, time, finish the 30 credits residency requirement at UMPI in 2-3 sessions.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Also, TESU now shows their degrees with courses filled in, but you don't HAVE to take those courses.

One thing you need to do: post your AP credits and your CLEP credits, because when you took them matters:
- AP exam name, year taken, score
- CLEP exam name, date taken

Since you don't have any RA credits, you'll need to take/bring in 24cr (the other 6cr will come from the Cornerstone and Capstone). TECEP's are a good option, since it looks like you're a good test-taker. I'd take 7 more, and here are some that are easy (based on my experience) or have high pass rates:

Applied Liberal Arts Math - use in Quantitative Lit (GE Core)
Computer Concepts & Applications - use as 2nd science requirement
Technical Writing - use as a LL AoS course
Public Speaking - use as Oral Comm
Marriage and the Family - use in the AoS for concentration
Psychology of Women - use in the AoS for concentration

Here are the issues I see with your plan:
Don't take SDC's American Civil Rights Movement, it's too much work for a LL course / you also have it listed twice
If you passed Intro to Humanities CLEP, it's 6cr, you have it listed as 3 separate courses, with 2 of them complete and 1 incomplete, delete 1 course
You must take a History course in the GE core
Move the Intro to Soc course to Diversity area (it's a higher and better use of that course than AoS)
You only need 18cr of UL overall, and 3cr of that will come from the Capstone, so just do 5 UL courses
History is now considered a Humanities so you can't use it in the concentration (it used to be a SocSci at TESU, but they changed it a couple of years ago)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-18-2023, 12:10 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
kevinks Wrote:Thanks! That gives me a little more clarity. I already completed a spreadsheet with all of the degree requirements and credit placements, it's in the link I posted. As far as where to slot in the RA credits - do they need to be specifically in the area of study, or is it just 30 RA credits in the entire degree, including the gen ed? Also, why Sophia for lower level and study.com for upper level?

Exactly what Rachel83Az mentioned. You can get from 0 credits to 90+ credits with Sophia.org in 3-4 months, you can't get that many courses done with Study.com if you have the energy/time to work on your courses and in a 'time crunch'.

In addition to that, I usually recommend investing in a second monitor for multi-tasking and searching for answers while you work on your Sophia.org first as they are non-proctored and then Study.com for the remainder of your requirements.  

Here's an example, I have a laptop and a second screen for searching through the learning Sophia.org material, when I have Study.com proctoring, I just remove the monitor and am ready to go through the final exam.

I mentioned UMPI, since you have NO RA credits, you may want to just do up to 90 credits (remaining credits at Sophia.org) and if you have the energy, time, finish the 30 credits residency requirement at UMPI in 2-3 sessions.
I do have one TECEP completed so that would count as an RA, no? What would be the benefit of doing UMPI over TESU for RA credits? Also, from Sophia's available courses I'm having a difficult time seeing how I can get to 90 from that source alone. Seems like they're somewhat limited?

(03-18-2023, 12:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Also, TESU now shows their degrees with courses filled in, but you don't HAVE to take those courses.

One thing you need to do: post your AP credits and your CLEP credits, because when you took them matters:
- AP exam name, year taken, score
- CLEP exam name, date taken

Since you don't have any RA credits, you'll need to take/bring in 24cr (the other 6cr will come from the Cornerstone and Capstone).  TECEP's are a good option, since it looks like you're a good test-taker.  I'd take 7 more, and here are some that are easy (based on my experience) or have high pass rates:

Applied Liberal Arts Math - use in Quantitative Lit (GE Core)
Computer Concepts & Applications - use as 2nd science requirement
Technical Writing - use as a LL AoS course
Public Speaking - use as Oral Comm
Marriage and the Family - use in the AoS for concentration
Psychology of Women - use in the AoS for concentration

Here are the issues I see with your plan:
Don't take SDC's American Civil Rights Movement, it's too much work for a LL course / you also have it listed twice
If you passed Intro to Humanities CLEP, it's 6cr, you have it listed as 3 separate courses, with 2 of them complete and 1 incomplete, delete 1 course  
You must take a History course in the GE core
Move the Intro to Soc course to Diversity area (it's a higher and better use of that course than AoS)
You only need 18cr of UL overall, and 3cr of that will come from the Capstone, so just do 5 UL courses
History is now considered a Humanities so you can't use it in the concentration (it used to be a SocSci at TESU, but they changed it a couple of years ago)

Okay, took a lot of this advice and revamped the plan. I also changed AoS from Liberal Studies/Social Sciences to Sociology. When I originally made a TESU degree plan it was in Sociology and I think I'd rather stick with that. My AP and CLEP credits are actually already transferred into TESU's system. AP Language, 2010, 3. AP Literature, 2011, 3. All CLEPs were completed in 2014.

Only thing I couldn't find a good replacement for was SDC's American Civil Rights Movement. I did remove the second entry though. If anyone has some time to spare, let me know if this looks solid/like an improvement or if there are any areas I should modify. Here's a link:

BA Sociology Degree Plan - TESU

I should note that my overall roadmap is to plug away at the Sophia courses, move on to study.com, and then finish with the TECEPS and 2 terms at TESU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 412 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 374 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 856 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 630 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 170 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tired of being bad at math and looking to enroll in online math classes for credit xor 9 516 02-26-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 393 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,067 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77