Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111
(05-31-2018, 07:50 AM)allvia Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 02:51 AM)frank.f.franky Wrote: I guess I haveTESU really scratching their heads; S/L Chem lab show up twice on my ACE transcript.

General Chemistry I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0016 Course 05/04/2018
General Chemistry I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0016 Course 05/08/2018
General Chemistry I* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0015 Course 05/08/2018

I think I was getting impatient with S/L not approving my class so I submitted it twice and S/L approved twice.

For Physics the Lab was three months later. 

General Physics I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0085 Course 04/16/2018
General Physics I* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0023 Course 01/11/2018

It's all kinda of a mute point, I only applied to TESU as a second option and was curious If my Shmoop credits would carry, they didn't.  

Anyway, if you plan on TESU apply soon they seem to like to re-evaluate ACE credit courses.

Where are you going to be taking your General Chemistry II with Lab or General Physics II with Lab (4) to meet the requirement?  I've seen quite a few people, including myself, here put off from a few of these BS degree options due to needing the level II course and none of the current alternative providers offering 'part II'.

I believe you or myself is not required to take Chem II with Lab or Physics II with Lab, you have an option:

Take: 
Chem I with Lab and Chem II with Lab,
Physics I with Lab and Physics II with Lab, or
Chem I with Lab and Physics I with Lab.

I was trying for the last one, so I need to find a Chem I (with or without Lab) that will transfer in as Chem-111. S/L  Chem transfers in as Chem-101. 

My hope is TESU has not downgraded any other Chem provider, like Study.com.  I will have to ask TESU which course/s will transfer in as Chem-111.

Thanks,
[-] The following 1 user Likes frank.f.franky's post:
  • docmarvin
I was told by TESU that you had an option of (all w/lab) Chem I & Chem II OR Physics I & Physics II.  This wasn't that long ago (2017), and they were very adamant about it.  I could have sworn I had ready someone else had both first level courses and one went towards gen eds, not the requirement.  Don't get me wrong, if this is no longer the case that is great news for people (too late for me).  So, you're evaluation is now showing that requirement as completed then? or have you not had both the "I" courses post yet?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(05-31-2018, 01:01 PM)allvia Wrote: I was told by TESU that you had an option of (all w/lab) Chem I & Chem II OR Physics I & Physics II.  This wasn't that long ago (2017), and they were very adamant about it.  I could have sworn I had ready someone else had both first level courses and one went towards gen eds, not the requirement.  Don't get me wrong, if this is no longer the case that is great news for people (too late for me).  So, you're evaluation is now showing that requirement as completed then? or have you not had both the "I" courses post yet?

Nope, my evaluation says I still need a Chem-111.  

Via, the email from TESU as of March 2018 S/L Chem will no longer be equivalent to Chem-111, but downgraded to Chem 101.

"In March 2018, the Dean of the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences at Thomas Edison State University reviewed CHEM101 from Straighterline and updated its TESU equivalency from CHE-111 to CHE-101." 
(05-31-2018, 03:34 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 01:01 PM)allvia Wrote: I was told by TESU that you had an option of (all w/lab) Chem I & Chem II OR Physics I & Physics II.  This wasn't that long ago (2017), and they were very adamant about it.  I could have sworn I had ready someone else had both first level courses and one went towards gen eds, not the requirement.  Don't get me wrong, if this is no longer the case that is great news for people (too late for me).  So, you're evaluation is now showing that requirement as completed then? or have you not had both the "I" courses post yet?

Nope, my evaluation says I still need a Chem-111.  

Via, the email from TESU as of March 2018 S/L Chem will no longer be equivalent to Chem-111, but downgraded to Chem 101.

"In March 2018, the Dean of the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences at Thomas Edison State University reviewed CHEM101 from Straighterline and updated its TESU equivalency from CHE-111 to CHE-101." 

I don't have to tell you that this doesn't make any sense, I'd file an appeal.  I looked at the evaluation image you posted and am left with one immediate question - I understand that TESU said it will now come in as Chem 101, so where is it applied? It is not showing anywhere, yet the duplicate lab is; it is not even showing in the 'Other Credit' area.  I know you sent it to them through ACE, have you tried just having the SL transcript sent direct from SL to TESU (it's free), as I wonder if you'll get a different evaluation? (Ok, that is two questions  Smile, I'm on a roll )  

It does however look like the I & II level courses will no longer be required, but that a I & I in each topic will meet the requirement - that is great news.   I had originally planned on BS Technical Studies, but when I couldn't get the II science requirement through alternative methods I opted for a different path all together.  Which BS degree are you working towards?
Amberton University

I'm still not sure what they're trying to say. For example, my local CC does NOT offer any science with labs - they come in as 2 separate things (the science lecture portion, and a separate lab portion). Partially because you sign up for them differently (there are a LOT of choices for lectures, but a more limited selection for labs, because a lot of people don't take the lab). So saying it HAS to be a 4cr course makes ZERO sense. I took Chem at a 4-yr state school, and it also came in as a 3+1.

This is just not making any sense at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-31-2018, 05:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm still not sure what they're trying to say.  For example, my local CC does NOT offer any science with labs - they come in as 2 separate things (the science lecture portion, and a separate lab portion).  Partially because you sign up for them differently (there are a LOT of choices for lectures, but a more limited selection for labs, because a lot of people don't take the lab).  So saying it HAS to be a 4cr course makes ZERO sense.  I took Chem at a 4-yr state school, and it also came in as a 3+1.

This is just not making any sense at all.

Less sense since CHE-111 (aka Chem-111) is a 3 credit course - I guess that is why they are saying it is missing (they gave credit for the stand alone lab).  CHE-101 is Survey of Chemistry (3 credits).   All these dramatic changes seem directly related to the timeline of the new TESU President coming into place, normally it would be on catalog year of provider transfer agreement date terms.
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • eriehiker
frank.f.franky - Did you every get this worked out and get the BS requirement met with both level I w.Labs (Chem I w/lab & Physics I w/lab) vs the I & II in one subject???
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • akr680
(07-04-2018, 09:02 AM)allvia Wrote: frank.f.franky - Did you every get this worked out and get the BS requirement met with both level I w.Labs (Chem I w/lab & Physics I w/lab) vs the I & II in one subject???

D: Natural World 8 SH (In progress)
For TESU course options, go to Chemistry and Physics Courses
General Chemistry with Lab and/or General Physics with Lab (DEGREE REQUIRMENT)
Choose two of the following :
CHE-121 4 SH, CHE-122 4 SH, PHY-115 4 SH, PHY-116 4 SH 
SH Earned: 5
Required: 8
Remaining: 3

Nope still 3 cr. hours short for a BS in Info Sys. been working on Community College (CC) classes and may take the Gen. Chem via CC
Did TESU accept Physics 1 and Chemistry 1 with Lab for BS IT?
------------------

(05-30-2018, 12:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU can be confusing.

So, their OWN courses are CHE-121 and CHE-122, but that doesn't mean that you can't bring in a chemistry course that comes in as CHE-101 and it won't fulfill the requirements (necessarily).

For instance, they sometimes list "MAN-435 Project Management" as a requirement for a degree, but if you were to take Project Management at a CC and it came in as a LL course, they would still have it fulfill the requirement.  It doesn't have to come in with the exact same course equivalency to work.  It's the course name that counts more than the equivalency in this case.

I would just talk to someone (or maybe more than 1 someone's in their case) and ask if CHE-101 General Chemistry will fulfill the "General Chemistry" requirement.  Don't make it more complicated than that.
Maybe they used to count project management but I took Sophia's project managment and it came in as LL. Tesu told me it could be used where project managment isn't required (business or hr elective aos) but anything where it needs man-435 (certificates, tech studies, etc) whatever you take has to count as man-435. Since CC courses no longer come in as ul this wouldn't work.

From my experience when tesu requires a specific course number everything must line up exactly. This is why degrees like their ba computer Science is so much easier than the bs it or bs cybersecurity. The latter two have specific numbers while cs keeps it broad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • akr680

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 363 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 699 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,409 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 882 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 712 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,197 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,917 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455
  TESU, UMPI, EU, COSC and WGU students reen967 8 1,529 10-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: reen967
  How long does it take TESU to get the info to update? CHken92 6 1,058 05-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: CHken92
  ACTFL CREDITS to TESU Seagull 30 4,417 04-05-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: utility