Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU financial aid question
Hey guys, just trying to figure out some financial aid specifics. I'm planning on enrolling in March to take the Cornerstone course before they get rid of it. Also, my application expires in April. At first, my understanding was that as long as I was going to be taking 6 credits through TESU, then I qualified for financial aid. Got an email today saying that's not how it works. I would need to take 6 credits in the same term in order to get financial aid for that term. I can't take 3 credits now and then a couple of months later take the other 3 credits and get financial aid. 

Now, I don't need to fill out FAFSA for 2018-2019, but can fill out 2019-2020 FAFSA sometime before July. I am only planning on taking 2 online courses with TESU, the Capstone and CIS-311 Database Management. That means I would have to take both of them at the same time in order to get financial aid. 

This is messing up my plans a bit since I didn't realize the specifics of how the financial aid worked. Does this all sound correct? Am I doing this right? Is there a better way to do this? I know the Capstone is a tough course; is there a different UL online course I could take instead of Database Management? I'm kind of pulling my hair out at this point so any help is appreciated! 

In case this helps, here's a list of courses that I have left to complete for BSBA CIS: 

CLEP French
SL Business Law
SL C++
study.com Principles of Statistics
study.com Principles of Finance
study.com Globalization and International Management
study.com Systems Analysis and Design
study.com Management Information Systems
TESU Capstone
TECEP Network Technology
TESU Online CIS-311 Database Management
CSU-Global Cloud Computing and Big Data
(01-03-2019, 03:58 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote: Hey guys, just trying to figure out some financial aid specifics. I'm planning on enrolling in March to take the Cornerstone course before they get rid of it. Also, my application expires in April. At first, my understanding was that as long as I was going to be taking 6 credits through TESU, then I qualified for financial aid. Got an email today saying that's not how it works. I would need to take 6 credits in the same term in order to get financial aid for that term. I can't take 3 credits now and then a couple of months later take the other 3 credits and get financial aid. 

Now, I don't need to fill out FAFSA for 2018-2019, but can fill out 2019-2020 FAFSA sometime before July. I am only planning on taking 2 online courses with TESU, the Capstone and CIS-311 Database Management. That means I would have to take both of them at the same time in order to get financial aid. 

This is messing up my plans a bit since I didn't realize the specifics of how the financial aid worked. Does this all sound correct? Am I doing this right? Is there a better way to do this? I know the Capstone is a tough course; is there a different UL online course I could take instead of Database Management? I'm kind of pulling my hair out at this point so any help is appreciated! 

In case this helps, here's a list of courses that I have left to complete for BSBA CIS: 

CLEP French
SL Business Law
SL C++
TESU Capstone
TECEP Network Technology

You should probably take the CIS-311 Database Management course via Study.com instead of TESU. It's one of the better/easier UL CIS credits. I'd also suggest dropping either the Network Technology TECEP or CSU-Global CBE for the Study.com Digital Marketing course, which comes in as UL and fits into the CIS AOS. Then you'd just need one additional UL CIS course.

If you're taking the Database Management course at TESU for financial aid purposes, don't. Take the study.com version and then take some other lower-level class with TESU instead. If you have any GenEds, I'd recommend taking one of those. You want something lower level that is less time consuming since you'll be taking it along with the Capstone, which is a bear. I am finishing up the Capstone now and am glad I didn't try to take it at the same time as another course.

If you don't have any GenEds left, or you're sure you want to take an upper-level course at the same time as the Capstone then look for some other UL CS course at TESU and take it instead of the CSU-Global Cloud Computing CBE or the Network Technology TECEP. Heck, I think TESU offers an online version of the network technology course, that might be a good option if you're interested in that.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-03-2019, 05:34 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 03:58 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote: Hey guys, just trying to figure out some financial aid specifics. I'm planning on enrolling in March to take the Cornerstone course before they get rid of it. Also, my application expires in April. At first, my understanding was that as long as I was going to be taking 6 credits through TESU, then I qualified for financial aid. Got an email today saying that's not how it works. I would need to take 6 credits in the same term in order to get financial aid for that term. I can't take 3 credits now and then a couple of months later take the other 3 credits and get financial aid. 

CLEP French
SL Business Law
SL C++
TESU Capstone
TECEP Network Technology

You should probably take the CIS-311 Database Management course via Study.com instead of TESU. It's one of the better/easier UL CIS credits. I'd also suggest dropping either the Network Technology TECEP or CSU-Global CBE for the Study.com Digital Marketing course, which comes in as UL and fits into the CIS AOS. Then you'd just need one additional UL CIS course.

If you're taking the Database Management course at TESU for financial aid purposes, don't. Take the study.com version and then take some other lower-level class with TESU instead. If you have any GenEds, I'd recommend taking one of those. You want something lower level that is less time consuming since you'll be taking it along with the Capstone, which is a bear. I am finishing up the Capstone now and am glad I didn't try to take it at the same time as another course.

If you don't have any GenEds left, or you're sure you want to take an upper-level course at the same time as the Capstone then look for some other UL CS course at TESU and take it instead of the CSU-Global Cloud Computing CBE or the Network Technology TECEP. Heck, I think TESU offers an online version of the network technology course, that might be a good option if you're interested in that.

Thank you! This was very helpful! The only General Ed course I have left is Statistics. Could I take this through TESU online alongside the Capstone? Then I would take Database Management through Study.com. If not, can I use a different course from the Professional Business Requirements, like Principles of Finance or Business in Society?
I'd rather not take an UL class with the Capstone. Like you said, the Capstone seems to be a bear! Did you take a second class in addition to the Capstone? 
You are correct, TESU does have an online course for Network Technology, so I may see if I can switch that. 
I'll try to email my academic adviser tomorrow and see if all this can get approved. Thank you again Merlin!!
(01-03-2019, 08:00 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 05:34 PM)Merlin Wrote:

CLEP French
SL Business Law
SL C++
TESU Capstone
TECEP Network Technology

Thank you! This was very helpful! The only General Ed course I have left is Statistics. Could I take this through TESU online alongside the Capstone? Then I would take Database Management through Study.com. If not, can I use a different course from the Professional Business Requirements, like Principles of Finance or Business in Society?
I'd rather not take an UL class with the Capstone. Like you said, the Capstone seems to be a bear! Did you take a second class in addition to the Capstone? 
You are correct, TESU does have an online course for Network Technology, so I may see if I can switch that. 
I'll try to email my academic adviser tomorrow and see if all this can get approved. Thank you again Merlin!!

It doesn't have to be a GenEd, any LL course you still have left to take, including those in your Professional Business Requirements section should work fine. I did not take a second class in addition to the Capstone and I'm glad I didn't. I would have had a hard time keeping up with both.

Have you already registered for classes? If so, I don't know how easy it is to switch them. I suppose if registration is still open you could always withdraw and register for something else. If not and the class hasn't started yet, you should still be able to do it though you may be asked to pay a late fee.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I can confirm that you have to take 6 credits per term to maintain your financial aid. I had to take several TESU courses for my degree and didn't feel like putting some of the hard ones into the same term so I would just take an easy one that sounded interesting at the same time as a hard one to maintain the aid.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(01-04-2019, 08:04 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I can confirm that you have to take 6 credits per term to maintain your financial aid. I had to take several TESU courses for my degree and didn't feel like putting some of the hard ones into the same term so I would just take an easy one that sounded interesting at the same time as a hard one to maintain the aid.

Yeah that makes sense; don't know why I didn't think of that LOL. If TESU wasn't getting rid of the easy cornerstone course, then I could just take that along with the Capstone, but they are getting rid of it, so that's kind of messing up my plans a bit.
(01-04-2019, 02:51 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 08:04 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I can confirm that you have to take 6 credits per term to maintain your financial aid. I had to take several TESU courses for my degree and didn't feel like putting some of the hard ones into the same term so I would just take an easy one that sounded interesting at the same time as a hard one to maintain the aid.

Yeah that makes sense; don't know why I didn't think of that LOL. If TESU wasn't getting rid of the easy cornerstone course, then I could just take that along with the Capstone, but they are getting rid of it, so that's kind of messing up my plans a bit.
If it makes you feel better, the "easy" Cornerstone is only 1 credit so you still wouldn't have six
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-04-2019, 03:32 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 02:51 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:

If it makes you feel better, the "easy" Cornerstone is only 1 credit so you still wouldn't have six

Ha, you're right; I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder Smile
Studyandpass5, did you do the TEEX when they were Upper Level? If not, do the following.
These are the recommended courses I have for you for the BSBA CIS AOS: 4 UL/2 LL
Required: COS-213 Introduction to Programming C++ (SL LL, or $9 OD Intro to programming Python)
Required: COS-320 Systems Analysis and Design (Study.com UL)

CIS-240 Introduction to Operating Systems (Study.com LL)
COS-311 Database Management (Study.com UL)
MAR-441 Digital Marketing & Advertising (Study.com UL)
CIS-344 Cybersecurity (DSST UL)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-04-2019, 05:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Studyandpass5, did you do the TEEX when they were Upper Level?  If not, do the following.
These are the recommended courses I have for you for the BSBA CIS AOS: 4 UL/2 LL
Required: COS-213 Introduction to Programming C++ (SL LL, or $9 OD Intro to programming Python)
Required: COS-320 Systems Analysis and Design (Study.com UL)

CIS-240 Introduction to Operating Systems (Study.com LL)
COS-311 Database Management (Study.com UL)
MAR-441 Digital Marketing & Advertising (Study.com UL)
CIS-344 Cybersecurity (DSST UL)

I unfortunately did not do TEEX when they were UL. 
I've got the C++ and Systems Analysis and Design (SDC) into my degree plan. I'm asking my advisor on the Database Management from SDC and Digital Marketing (SDC). For the rest I have Network Technology from TESU and SDC MIS. 
I know all of those are UL, so I'll keep the LL Intro to Operating Systems in mind. Is the Cybersecurity DSST still UL? I know they downgraded the MIS DSST.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 729 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 477 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,049 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP