Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requesting Help w/ TESU Degree Plan
Question 
Hello All! I'm new here but have been browsing for a while. I've seen some very helpful threads but could still use some help navigating through my degree plan. To start here's a little back story...

I graduated HS in 2009. I took some classes at my community college (not particularly motivated I might add, as you may see in my eval) and worked until 2014 at which point I joined the U.S. Air Force (active duty). I became a radio troop, got through tech school, went to my first duty station, earned my 5 lvl as a Journeyman, took several DSST/CLEP exams, completed my AAS in Electronic Systems Technology, made Staff Sergeant, started going to TESU, graduated airman leadership school in April, and will earn my 7-lvl soon (work complete).

My goals include, joining the reserves and making myself as versatile as possible to find a job with a military related company such as Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, etc.; in RF System Engineering &/or IT related fields. The degree I am currently going after is BS, Technical Studies. I am also interested in the BS, Military Technology Leadership. Either one I earn, I hope to do so before my separation in May 2019, and eventually go back and earn the BS, Electronic Systems Engineering Technology (not too excited about the Calculus II requirement). 

Attached is my Academic Evaluation for Technical Studies and Military Technology Leadership. Below is education I have already completed and have yet to/hope to transfer and isn't shown on the eval:

TESU-
Physics w/ Lab I & II
Life Learning Strategies Cornerstone

DSSTs-
Principles of Statistics
Principles of Supervision
Introduction to Business
Computing and Information Technology

CLEP-
Principles of Managment
Principles of Public Speaking

Certification-
CompTIA Security+

Below are additional credits that I saw member Prloko post in this thread concerning transferring what I've earned in Airman Leadership School and my Craftsman 7-lvl.

CCAF-

LMM1102 Managerial Communications 2.00 CR MAN-373 *CC *TE
LMM1101 Leadership Management I.. 5.00 CR HRM-315 *CC *TE

LMM1103 Military Studies I 2.00 CR MSC-101 *TE*CC
INT7000 Craftsman 4.00 CR COP-399 *TE*CC

I have plans to test out of several other courses, including a few TECEPs to meet the 24 sh residency requirement.  My additional education plans include:

TECEPs-
Computer Concepts (CIS-107)
Intro Sociology (SOC-101)
Environmental Ethics (ETH-210)

DSSTs/CLEPs-
Calculus (MAT-231)
Intro World Religion (REL-277) 
American Gov. (POS110)
Principles of Advanced English Composition (ENC-102) 

Certifications-
CCNA
CompTIA A+
CPA - C++ Certified Associate Programmer

All in all, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to quickly/efficiently complete at least one of my Bachelors, while keeping in mind that I would eventually like to also earn the BS, Electronic Systems Engineering Technology. My biggest concern is fulfilling the 18 sh degree requirements in 300/400 courses in either degree, with hopes I will be able to transfer some of the credits I've already earned (like LMM1101 Leadership Management for BSMTL) to do so. Any help/comments are appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Attached Files
.docx   Program Requirements Technical Studies (June).docx (Size: 16.65 KB / Downloads: 8)
.docx   Program Requirements Military Technology Leadership (June).docx (Size: 17.03 KB / Downloads: 4)
If I look at the BS in Tech Studies, you need Project Management (Study.com has it as UL), and 4 UL Tech courses to finish your degree (after finishing the courses you have planned above).

Then for the Military Tech Leadership degree, there's a lot of overlap.  You need Quality Mgmt, Health/Safety, the 2 courses you listed above, and another 4 courses in Leadership, which can easily be gotten through Study.com.

At that point, you're maxed out on degrees at TESU - you can't get a 3rd (Electronic Systems Engineering Tech).

I think you need to decide which 2 degrees are most important out of the 3, and then go about getting those.  If the Electronic Systems EE Tech degree is important, you should do that one instead of one of the others.  But, you'll need to figure out if you can get that done through TESU, and with the credits you already have.

You could always get the Tech Studies and add on an Undergrad Cert in General Management.  That might be more useful.

Also, just an FYI, you could also switch to WGU after getting the first degree, and get at IT degree there.  That would be much more useful than these other degrees that you're looking at, especially with the certs you want to get - some are included in the WGU degrees.

Anyway, here's a degree plan for the BS in Tech Studies.  I've included a list of the computer/tech courses available inexpensively.

Attached Files
.xlsx   koldplay24 TESU BS in TechStudies.xlsx (Size: 54.85 KB / Downloads: 23)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • koldplay24
First off, thank you so much for your insight dfrecore! I don't intend on trying to earn all three BSs, I am however having a tough time picking between Technical Studies and Military Technical Leadership as my first, and later getting the Elec. Sys. Engineering Tech. The hard part is fulfilling the Tech courses. I'm hoping to find knowledge on how to possibly fulfill them with courses I've already taken/plan to take. 

For example, could I fill a few of the gaps of the Military Tech Leadership degree Tech courses with the LMM1101 Leadership Management and LMM1102 Managerial Communications I earned from ALS on my CCAF (yet to transfer)? If so, I feel as though I am further along with this degree than I am with Technical Studies. Or could CompTIA Security+ and maybe Network+ fill a few gaps for the Technical Studies degree (also curious if TESU would give me anything for A+)? 

I am also considering doing a portfolio assessment for the Health and Safety since I've been in charge of several safety programs, revised them adhering to OSHA standards, etc. If anyone has advice regarding this I'd love to hear it.

Also, I have considered WGU. Several of my co-workers are attending. Since I'm using TA, I can only switch schools once and I found the degrees such as Technical Studies, Military Tech Leader, and Elec. Sys. Engineering Tech better fits for my RF Engineering background. I'll be going after certs on the side, paid for by the AF COOL program for IT related education.

Edit: I'm also signed up with TESU to take Project Management starting next month.
Yes, those courses can be used in the MT Leadership degree. The Tech courses you could take are listed at the bottom of the degree plan I gave you.

Doing just a single portfolio course would be pricy I think but since you're military, you might not care. Otherwise you'd be taking PM at Study.com for $100.

TESU won't take most certs, which is why I suggested WGU. They did accept Network+, but it expired, and it was LL, so not a ton of help.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • koldplay24

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,983 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,206 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,110 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,646 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,348 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,596 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,326 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,379 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic