Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC now accepting FEMA credits
Quote:Excelsior College leadership is always looking for ways to help Excelsior students complete their degrees while saving money. Its latest initiative: A policy that will allow Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) employees and other trainees to pursue advanced college degrees at a lower cost by awarding college credit for FEMA Emergency Management Institute Independent Study coursework.

Under Excelsior’s new policy, students can now present their FEMA training record to the College’s admissions office to be evaluated for corresponding college credit. Excelsior’s ability to translate government and corporate training into college credit—through its extensive internal review process and evaluations by the American Council of Education (ACE) or accredited college institutions—has been often highlighted as one of its major strengths.

More can be read here
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
[-] The following 2 users Like Exfactor's post:
  • High_Order1, Life Long Learning
(06-29-2018, 08:35 AM)Exfactor Wrote:
Quote:Excelsior College leadership is always looking for ways to help Excelsior students complete their degrees while saving money. Its latest initiative: A policy that will allow Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) employees and other trainees to pursue advanced college degrees at a lower cost by awarding college credit for FEMA Emergency Management Institute Independent Study coursework.

Under Excelsior’s new policy, students can now present their FEMA training record to the College’s admissions office to be evaluated for corresponding college credit. Excelsior’s ability to translate government and corporate training into college credit—through its extensive internal review process and evaluations by the American Council of Education (ACE) or accredited college institutions—has been often highlighted as one of its major strengths.

More can be read here

Schweeeeet
Awesome! Took 'em long enough. Tongue
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
It's not clear. Is this only for FEMA employees, and do the courses have to be ACE-approved?

https://www.excelsior.edu/credit-for-fema-training
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Excelsior College helped me fast track using FEMA (116 of 120).  I do NOT work for FEMA.

NETC Emergency Management Institute (EMI) and NETC National Fire Academy (NFA) are real F2F courses (2-5 days).  Many are ACE already.  Excelsior College took all of my ACE EMI credits as what ACE said (LL and UL).  I had NFA credits also but they were not needed.

Not 100% clear what independent study (IS) courses they will take and how many IS per this article?  They have taken them through a community college, but now it looks like they will take them directly like COSC?

“First-responders who have invested hours and hours into FEMA training and independent study courses will now have an accelerated pathway toward completing their degree at Excelsior College,” said Lifang Shih, the dean of Excelsior’s School of Undergraduate Studies. “This will enhance their credentials and bolster their expertise in responding to emergency situations across the country.”
https://life.excelsior.edu/new-excelsior-policy-will-help-fema-employees-complete-degrees-sooner-more-affordably/

Thanks for posting!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I'm pre-enrollment application phase with them and just emailed citing that they announced they will take FEMA credits and indicated I had a number of them I'd like to be evaluated. I requested the address info to send them. They replied "Sure thing!" and provided the address. There has as yet been no question of if I work for FEMA.

I suspect that if they don't specifically ask, and I don't specifically bring it up, they'll probably just process them like any other credits. We'll see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-29-2018, 09:36 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Excelsior College helped me fast track using FEMA (116 of 120).  I do NOT work for FEMA.

NETC Emergency Management Institute (EMI) and NETC National Fire Academy (NFA) are real F2F courses (2-5 days).  Many are ACE already.  Excelsior College took all of my ACE EMI credits as what ACE said (LL and UL).  I had NFA credits also but they were not needed.

Not 100% clear what independent study (IS) courses they will take and how many IS per this article?  They have taken them through a community college, but now it looks like they will take them directly like COSC?

“First-responders who have invested hours and hours into FEMA training and independent study courses will now have an accelerated pathway toward completing their degree at Excelsior College,” said Lifang Shih, the dean of Excelsior’s School of Undergraduate Studies. “This will enhance their credentials and bolster their expertise in responding to emergency situations across the country.”
https://life.excelsior.edu/new-excelsior-policy-will-help-fema-employees-complete-degrees-sooner-more-affordably/

Thanks for posting!

Excelsior accepting ACE credits is nothing new, so I'm wondering if they'll accept the non-ACE, IS courses. If not, then this announcement is just telling FEMA employees about an option that's always been available to everyone.

If they are accepting non-ACE, IS courses, then the question is: Does this apply to non-employees as well?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning, TheMaskedMutant

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,086 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,221 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,815 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,580 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,358 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,410 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,595 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family
Wink 6 Credits to Go! Rqst Help (Tesu BSBA) FinishTHEM 3 1,498 05-11-2018, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Anyone knows what credits could transfer from big 3 to other Universities maplefu 7 1,784 05-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Last Post: davewill