Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU graduate school options
I am going to officially register with TESU this week. Before I do, I want to make 100 percent sure that my BSBA degree will not be immediately tossed when I apply for graduate school. I read on their website that they are regionally accredited. I am concerned that they are not AACSB accredited.

The programs that I am considering:

Admission Criteria, University of Cincinnati - UC MBA, or data science certificate

Taking the CPA exam in ohio. TESU is not AACSB. I do not think its a factor though.

Admission Requirements: Northern Kentucky University, Greater Cincinnati Region - Computer Science MS
brown2am Wrote:The programs that I am considering:

Admission Requirements: Northern Kentucky University, Greater Cincinnati Region - Computer Science MS
For the MSCS at NKU, the AACSB accreditation will not matter. You should be concerned with:

-doing well on the gre (and/or)
-completing a course in:
  • data structures
  • systems
  • calculus I/II
  • discrete math
I have found that usually, if the school you want the MBA from is AACSB accredited, they don't necessarily want your BSBA to be accredited - but they may allow you to waive some courses if it is accredited. They also don't always require you to have a BSBA - they will accept other degrees, as long as you take all of the prerequisites of the program. It's like trying to get into med school - you don't HAVE to have a specific degree, but you have to have all of the pre-req's.

APUS (ACBSP-accredited) has this policy for their MBA:

Students who hold a degree from a School of Business accredited by ACBSP/AACSB may request a waiver review of these three courses through their Admissions representative. (The courses they're talking about are the first 3 core courses in the program).

Just make sure that anywhere you choose to go has a policy that will accept your RA BSBA degree and you are fine. There are plenty of schools out there that will accept it.

TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm attending an AACSB MBA program. There are also many others. Yanji did an MBA with Kelley from Indiana U, a top MBA program. If you have certain schools in mind, the best thing to do is to ask those schools directly. They'll let you know and you can make decisions from there.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Thank you guys for replying. I appreciate it.
brown2am Wrote:I am going to officially register with TESU this week. Before I do, I want to make 100 percent sure that my BSBA degree will not be immediately tossed when I apply for graduate school. I read on their website that they are regionally accredited. I am concerned that they are not AACSB accredited.

The programs that I am considering:

Admission Criteria, University of Cincinnati - UC MBA, or data science certificate

Taking the CPA exam in ohio. TESU is not AACSB. I do not think its a factor though.

You could spend 4 years at ANY school and rack up a hundred thousand dollars in debt and STILL not get into your target schools- happens all the time.
My advice to anyone who knows they are headed to grad school, spend as little time as possible and the least dollars possible for your undergrad.

If you meet the actual requirements for admission including prereqs, you'll be a regular candidate.

Some things to watch for:
- if grad school wants graded credits, you shouldn't use an exam for those credits. Exams at TESU will be on your transcript as pass/fail.
- pay attention to what your target schools list for prereqs and incorporate them into your degree plan. My advice is that those should be classes not tests to CYA.
- if you will need letters of rec from academics, consider that NOW before you get rolling and how you'll do that.
- understand the differences between "attending" TESU, "testing out of a degree" at TESU. Not the same- the extend that you use testing and or distance learning is up to you. If those are barriers to admission to grad school, plan accordingly.
If you're looking to an MSCS, I and other TESU grads have gotten into the Georgia Tech program. Getting into a MSCS at GT or elsewhere, especially without a CS degree, will depend on having the proper coursework in math and CS theory and/or work experience in the field. Work experience can also be important for MBA admission.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Again thanks for the useful information.
Some more details:
My overall strategy for earning a BSBA was to moneyball an undergraduate degree. My employer paid for 25 percent of the degree through a career choice program. I took those courses at a CC and received A's.

I picked up almost all the rest through testing and a pell grant. I will be finished in a month.

My focus now is trying to satisfy the prerequisites for a master of science or MBA degree. I will be working on my math and programming skills.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 5 123 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,666 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,875 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,284 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,034 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,033 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,117 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,068 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,669 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H