Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU graduation timing
Good morning. From your experience, what day of the month does TESU make your degree available to prospective grad schools? Based on WGU needing everything by the 15th, I might have to wait till May to start. Thanks
(01-16-2019, 06:45 AM)jb111 Wrote: Good morning. From your experience, what day of the month does TESU make your degree available to prospective grad schools?  Based on WGU needing everything by the 15th, I might have to wait till May to start.  Thanks

From what I've read TESU degree conferral usually occurs on the 15th of March, June, September, or December, with transcripts being updated to reflect the degree on the following business day, so the 16th at the earliest.

Like you, I am also planning to start at WGU on April 1st but it looks like TESU won't have transcripts available until March 16th so I will likely be delayed until a May 1st start date as well. Unless there is a way to get some kind of degree confirmation from TESU to WGU by or before March 15th, which seems unlikely since WGU requires an official transcript.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • jb111
Thanks Merlin. I heard that TESU sends a confirmation letter prior to the 15th. However, I don’t think WGU will except. I am going to give it a shot anyway
By the way, what will your masters be in?
My son's graduation date was June 8th. Below is a quote from an e-mail.

"We are pleased to inform you that you have completed all of the requirements for the Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics degree with an option in Computer Science for June 8, 2018 graduation!  Please notify us at registrar@tesu.edu if you intended to graduate with a different degree than the Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics degree with an option in Computer Science.

Your diploma has been ordered.  Diplomas will be mailed within ten business days after the graduation date. With your diploma, you will receive a student copy of your final transcript.  When you need to request an official or student copy of your transcript, please visit the University’s website. Please note that transcripts requested prior to June 8, 2018 will not have the degree posted.  Degrees are posted to the transcript once they are conferred by the Board of Trustees on June 8, 2018."
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes mudball's post:
  • jb111
The best thing to do is to order the transcript ahead of time and check the box to delay sending until after degree conferral. That would get the transcript there as quickly as possible.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • jb111, mudball
Thanks Davewill.  I ordered and selected the option, "After Degree Is Awarded".  So if something happens early, great but I will expect a May 1 start.  I'll still send my advisor the TESU letter stating, "Your diploma has been ordered...", and attach my transcript/academic eval.  I've got big stuff happening end of October and mid-November.  Then we roll into the holidays.  April start is optimal.
It is the day after the degree is conferred.  The transcript will not show the degree until the next business day.  I graduated 12/14/18 (Friday), I needed to send my transcript as soon as it was available (I had conditional acceptance for grad school), so I could not request the transcript until 12/17/18 (Monday).  TESU themselves made sure to point this out in their email/letter stating your conferral date.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(01-16-2019, 08:04 AM)jb111 Wrote: Thanks Merlin.  I heard that TESU sends a confirmation letter prior to the 15th. However, I don’t think WGU will except.  I am going to give it a shot anyway
By the way, what will your masters be in?

Yeah, from what I've read WGU is very strict about having official transcripts, and won't accept letters of confirmation or unofficial transcripts.

I'll be starting with the MBA in IT Management. After that, I'm hoping to move on to the OMSCS from GA Tech. If that doesn't work out I might consider the WGU MS in Data Analytics, MS in Cybersecurity, or start on a doctorate program somewhere... though I'm leaning away from Ph.D. programs at this point since I don't want to invest 4-8 years on it.

From what it sounds like the degree conferral dates may vary, so hopefully the March conferral date comes in earlier, like the 8th or something like that. It would make things much less complicated. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Fingers crossed Merlin. At least we are starting together and can share observations
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • Merlin
(01-16-2019, 04:59 PM)Merlin Wrote: Yeah, from what I've read WGU is very strict about having official transcripts, and won't accept letters of confirmation or unofficial transcripts.

WGU wouldn't even accept official transcripts that showed all course work complete AND a letter from Excelsior stating that the course work was complete and the degree would be conferred before my WGU start date. So I was forced to push my planned start date back a month.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Share your TESU to GaTech OMSCS experience Blckbuster 4 1,140 03-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Bachelor to Masters program at TESU Lacedonia4 10 2,880 07-10-2022, 10:52 PM
Last Post: jch
  Masters degree options after BSBA at TESU schlocker 7 1,354 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  University of Florida Pulled a TESU sanantone 7 2,804 09-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Last Post: angelman
  TESU to WGU Mitmike2019 14 2,081 02-01-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU graduate - Grad School on campus program? hoffdeb 1 887 01-20-2020, 07:33 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate School after Charter Oak/TESU Elizabethcl 8 2,589 01-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Last Post: jonesy20
  TESU Jan 2020 Doctor of Business Administration hoffdeb 1 1,393 11-04-2019, 01:28 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  TESU - New Master’s Degree in Cybersecurity jsd 11 2,967 10-18-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU DBA and MS in Accounting sanantone 5 2,184 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77