Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU inactive account
Hello friends, I was away for a while and when I tried to update my courses at TESU they told me that my account became inactive.
Admissions told me that in order to re-activate it I needed to re-apply, which means I need to pay again.
Did somebody experience this before?
Is there any other way around it?
If I'm going to need 18 months to finish the remaining credits, should I re-apply now or wait until I have all the courses done?
Thanks in advance
Adrian
I think you should reapply now. Lock down your catalog and get all of your current courses transferred in. TESU is notorious for changing things and anything you can do to nail down current policies and transfer equivalencies is, in general, a good thing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I agree, but what happens next year? If I don't finish before the year deadline they will close my application ... unless I guess take one of their courses before the end of that period?
(02-19-2019, 03:37 PM)adrianeraldo Wrote: Hello friends, I was away for a while and when I tried to update my courses at TESU they told me that my account became inactive.
Admissions told me that in order to re-activate it I needed to re-apply, which means I need to pay again.
If I'm going to need 18 months to finish the remaining credits, should I re-apply now or wait until I have all the courses done?
Thanks in advance
Adrian

The "applied" status at TESU only lasts for one year from the date of acceptance. If you haven't enrolled by the end of that period, you have to start over again and pay a new application fee. There really isn't a way around it, other than to wait for the rare occasions where TESU allows students to apply for free. I managed to apply during one of those windows last year, but as far as I know, they only come up once or twice a year.

Likewise, once you register for classes and become an enrolled student, the enrolled status will also last for up to one year, unless extended by registering for another course (which will reset your enrolled status clock to one year remaining).

I found that there is one exception to this... once you apply for graduation, pay the fees, and complete your graduation audit, you are immediately unenrolled as a student and considered an alumni, regardless of how much time remaining in your current enrollment period. For most people this doesn't matter since you're graduating anyway. But I was personally surprised by this since I had 9 months remaining.

That all said, I agree with davewill in that you should reapply now. This will lock in your catalog and protect you from some of the inevitable changes coming in July when the new catalog is published. Once you are accepted you have one year to register for a course, which will probably be the cornerstone course (SOS-110). Doing so will move you from "applied" to "enrolled" status 10 days after the start of the term for which you've registered. Once you've accumulated 100 or more credits, and completed and transferred in the bulk of your AOS courses, you can then register for your capstone course, which will likely be one of the last courses you take before graduation.

Personally, I'd probably apply, and immediately start working on alt. ed. courses from Straighterline and Study.com. After a few months of that, I'd probably register for the cornerstone and complete that in tandem with the balance of alt. ed. courses. Once I was finished with all my alt. ed. courses and close to being ready to graduate, I'd register for the capstone and complete that by itself (since capstone courses tend to be really heavy workload wise). Depending on how you space those registered courses, you could take up to 3 years to complete the degree before having to add another course or TECEP.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-19-2019, 07:10 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 03:37 PM)adrianeraldo Wrote: Hello friends, I was away for a while and when I tried to update my courses at TESU they told me that my account became inactive.
Thanks in advance
Adrian

The "applied" status at TESU only lasts for one year from the date of acceptance. If you haven't enrolled by the end of that period, you have to start over again and pay a new application fee. There really isn't a way around it, other than to wait for the rare occasions where TESU allows students to apply for free. I managed to apply during one of those windows last year, but as far as I know, they only come up once or twice a year.

Likewise, once you register for classes and become an enrolled student, the enrolled status will also last for up to one year, unless extended by registering for another course (which will reset your enrolled status clock to one year remaining).

I found that there is one exception to this... once you apply for graduation, pay the fees, and complete your graduation audit, you are immediately unenrolled as a student and considered an alumni, regardless of how much time remaining in your current enrollment period. For most people this doesn't matter since you're graduating anyway. But I was personally surprised by this since I had 9 months remaining.

That all said, I agree with davewill in that you should reapply now. This will lock in your catalog and protect you from some of the inevitable changes coming in July when the new catalog is published. Once you are accepted you have one year to register for a course, which will probably be the cornerstone course (SOS-110). Doing so will move you from "applied" to "enrolled" status 10 days after the start of the term for which you've registered. Once you've accumulated 100 or more credits, and completed and transferred in the bulk of your AOS courses, you can then register for your capstone course, which will likely be one of the last courses you take before graduation.

Personally, I'd probably apply, and immediately start working on alt. ed. courses from Straighterline and Study.com. After a few months of that, I'd probably register for the cornerstone and complete that in tandem with the balance of alt. ed. courses. Once I was finished with all my alt. ed. courses and close to being ready to graduate, I'd register for the capstone and complete that by itself (since capstone courses tend to be really heavy workload wise).

At what times do they let you apply for free?  Somewhat flexible in my timing.  Thanks.
(02-19-2019, 07:15 PM)satori Wrote: At what times do they let you apply for free?  Somewhat flexible in my timing.  Thanks.

No clue. It happened to come up when I was preparing to apply, so I took advantage of it. I don't know if it is a regular event or I just lucked into a special marketing opportunity. I assume they probably have enrollment drives now and then like most smaller schools, which is why I suggested it might happen once or twice a year.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(02-19-2019, 06:59 PM)adrianeraldo Wrote: I agree, but what happens next year? If I don't finish before the year deadline they will close my application ... unless I guess take one of their courses before the end of that period?

You can take a $75 TECEP to extend your enrollment, if needed. Since there are plenty of TECEPs that are useful in degree plans, it usually isn't a problem.

(02-19-2019, 07:10 PM)Merlin Wrote: ...

I was able to sidestep this by having an uncompleted degree listed on my student record before applying for graduation. In my case, it was an ASNSM in CS that I chose not to complete. I remained a student after graduation since they assumed I was still trying to finish it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-19-2019, 07:37 PM)davewill Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 07:10 PM)Merlin Wrote: ...

I was able to sidestep this by having an uncompleted degree listed on my student record before applying for graduation. In my case, it was an ASNSM in CS that I chose not to complete. I remained a student after graduation since they assumed I was still trying to finish it.

Ahh, that makes sense. If it were a big deal and I knew about it in advance I might have done something similar. Luckily I'm not planning to pursue a second degree; if I were, I'd have been upset about having to re-apply, etc.

Not being enrolled just limits my access to some features of OSS, plus I technically cannot say I'm enrolled at the school any longer for student discount purposes. I also assume I will eventually lose access to my TESU email address unless it gets moved to an alumni email address like at some other colleges, though I suspect not. Of course, once I start on the masters it won't really matter any longer... it is just a bit annoying.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 259 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch