Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU new credit transfer policy - should I go for Excelsior
Hello everyone,

I have been putting off by TESU new policy regarding credit transfer. Being an international student, this will make my road for a degree harder than what I thought Sad

I have approximately 90 non-traditional credits, mainly from SL and Sophia. But getting credits from RA institutions won't be very easy for me, as I am not a citizen of the USA.

I was thinking, will Excelsior will be a better choice for me? Does Excelsior required to get credits from RA institutions?

Currently I have got the below:

Accounting I - SL
Accounting II - SL
American Government - SL
Anatomy and Physiology I - SL
Anatomy and Physiology II - SL
Business Communication - SL
Business Ethics - SL
Business Law - SL
Cultural Anthropology - SL
General Chemistry I - SL
Information Technology Fundamentals - SL
Introduction to Biology - SL
Introduction to Criminal Justice - SL
Introduction to Environmental Science - SL
Introduction to Nutrition - SL
Introduction to Psychology - SL
Introduction to Religion - SL
Introduction to Sociology - SL
Macroeconomics - SL
Microbiology - SL
Microeconomics - SL
Organizational Behavior - SL
Principles of Management - SL
Survey of World History - SL
United States History I - SL
United States History II - SL
Western Civilization I - SL
Western Civilization II - SL

Cyber Ethics – TEEX

Developing Effective Teams – SOPHIA

English Composition I – SOPHIA
English Composition II – SOPHIA
Oral Communication – SOPHIA

Fire Service Supervision: Self Study - NFA
Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators - NFA

I am very disappointed as I wasn't expecting such a big changes on the way Sad 
Excelsior does not require RA credits. However, they do require more UL credits than TESU does and some degrees are impossible to get solely through alternate means. What degree are you wanting to get?

8 classes from TEL Learning are a relatively inexpensive $1600 and would cover the necessary RA credits. Unfortunately, it looks like you might have to do over a couple of the classes (such as intro to IT or chemistry) that you've already gotten via alternate means. But this could be cheaper than trying to find the necessary credits for EC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-19-2021, 05:43 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Excelsior does not require RA credits. However, they do require more UL credits than TESU does and some degrees are impossible to get solely through alternate means. What degree are you wanting to get?

8 classes from TEL Learning are a relatively inexpensive $1600 and would cover the necessary RA credits. Unfortunately, it looks like you might have to do over a couple of the classes (such as intro to IT or chemistry) that you've already gotten via alternate means. But this could be cheaper than trying to find the necessary credits for EC.
Thank you Rachel, I am either looking for a BA in Liberal Studies or a BS Business Administration. Whatever it is easy and fast to complete, considering the credits I already have.
Have you checked out UMPI? It is a competency based program so you're on your own like Straighterline and Sophia. You have quite a bit that would transfer there for the BLS (bachelor's of liberal studies) with a management minor or the BA in business administration. You wouldn't have to worry about upper level courses. They offer every course that they require for their degrees. They are open to international students as well. Their link is down below in my signature. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
IIRC, it is impossible to get a BSBA at EC via alternate means. A lib studies degree is possible, but again you have to deal with finding 30 UL credits and that's not always easy.

Have you considered UMPI for a BSBA? They should be considerably cheaper than TESU or even EC. What I would suggest doing would be to apply to UMPI (the application is free) to see where they put the credits you already have. Depending on where they put your credits, you might want to take a few more at Sophia (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents) before starting.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
If I was doing this over again, and I HAD A LOT OF TIME to burn through as many courses as possible in a term, and I wasn't looking for some super specific degree, UMPI would be my pick. Just have to see if they take students from your country.
Hi everyone, I wanted to thank you so much for your amazing help and prompt reply! Never thought about UMPI actually. Looks like I will give it a try! I just hope they will accept international students.

(01-19-2021, 06:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you checked out UMPI? It is a competency based program so you're on your own like Straighterline and Sophia. You have quite a bit that would transfer there for the BLS (bachelor's of liberal studies) with a management minor or the BA in business administration. You wouldn't have to worry about upper level courses. They offer every course that they require for their degrees. They are open to international students as well. Their link is down below in my signature. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Thank you so much!!!
(01-19-2021, 06:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you checked out UMPI? It is a competency based program so you're on your own like Straighterline and Sophia. You have quite a bit that would transfer there for the BLS (bachelor's of liberal studies) with a management minor or the BA in business administration. You wouldn't have to worry about upper level courses. They offer every course that they require for their degrees. They are open to international students as well. Their link is down below in my signature. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Does Umpi ask their students to advertise the institution when enrolled?

This always had an advertisement feel and not just a thread by a student excited about their college or suggesting courses. It is not even cheap and it is competency based. Nothing against it, I would considered it had I not already invested time and money in courses at other alternative platforms and colleges. I realize they do accept transfer credits but when it is so insistent, I steer away from it or do my own homework to find out more about it but proceed with caution. No offense, just my opinion.  Peace Angel
(01-19-2021, 11:50 PM)Seagull Wrote:
Does Umpi ask their students to advertise the institution when enrolled?

This always had an advertisement feel and not just a thread by a student excited about their college or suggesting courses. It is not even cheap and it is competency based. Nothing against it, I would considered it had I not already invested time and money in courses at other alternative platforms and colleges. I realize they do accept transfer credits but when it is so insistent, I steer away from it or do my own homework to find out more about it but proceed with caution. No offense, just my opinion.  Peace Angel

I am not a UMPI student. I'm working towards degrees at TESU. But if a given program seems like it is clearly better then that's the one that I'm going to suggest. If you only need 30 credits at UMPI, UMPI is going to be cheaper, faster, and much less hassle than trying to deal with TESU. Unless you somehow wind up taking over a year to complete those 30 credits. It's just math.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Not you Rachel, my reply was about ss20ts posts in blue. Felt as advertisement from day one.

I am enrolled at TESU and checking how my credits can transfer to COSC, understand the costs and sometimes it is math, but also like the own pace.

TESU is the only college so far that truly allows own pace and wished I had discovered it sooner. But now with the policy changes it is a race to the clock to that March deadline. Although if I can't do all the courses in time it will be COSC for sure.

(01-19-2021, 05:15 PM)Luka1110 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I have been putting off by TESU new policy regarding credit transfer. Being an international student, this will make my road for a degree harder than what I thought Sad

I have approximately 90 non-traditional credits, mainly from SL and Sophia. But getting credits from RA institutions won't be very easy for me, as I am not a citizen of the USA.

I was thinking, will Excelsior will be a better choice for me? Does Excelsior required to get credits from RA institutions?

Currently I have got the below:

Accounting I - SL
Accounting II - SL
American Government - SL
Anatomy and Physiology I - SL
Anatomy and Physiology II - SL
Business Communication - SL
Business Ethics - SL
Business Law - SL
Cultural Anthropology - SL
General Chemistry I - SL
Information Technology Fundamentals - SL
Introduction to Biology - SL
Introduction to Criminal Justice - SL
Introduction to Environmental Science - SL
Introduction to Nutrition - SL
Introduction to Psychology - SL
Introduction to Religion - SL
Introduction to Sociology - SL
Macroeconomics - SL
Microbiology - SL
Microeconomics - SL
Organizational Behavior - SL
Principles of Management - SL
Survey of World History - SL
United States History I - SL
United States History II - SL
Western Civilization I - SL
Western Civilization II - SL

Cyber Ethics – TEEX

Developing Effective Teams – SOPHIA

English Composition I – SOPHIA
English Composition II – SOPHIA
Oral Communication – SOPHIA

Fire Service Supervision: Self Study - NFA
Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators - NFA

I am very disappointed as I wasn't expecting such a big changes on the way Sad 
Charter Oak gives 10% off tuition for Straighterline students, it is a type of scholarship agreement they have. But the transcripts have to be mailed in which SL does upon request and at no cost I believe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seagull's post:
  • Luka1110

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 226 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 259 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,575 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch