Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU new credit transfer policy - should I go for Excelsior
EC is an option for you as well - as long as you're good with a BALA or BSLA (not a business degree). It can be completed via Study.com or one of the other course providers with UL options like Coopersmith or Davar.

They no longer have an AoF (concentration) like TESU, but that certainly means it will be easy to complete.

With the credits you have now, you just need a math course, and then 30cr of UL (and 6 of those credits will be the cornerstone and capstone). So that leaves 8 UL courses - 5 must be in the Arts & Sciences (so humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and math) and up to 3 courses can be in the Applied Professional/Free Electives (so business or something like that). Using Study.com, you could easily get UL courses (and here's what was UL last time I checked, you need to check yourself):
BUS 310: Advanced Business Ethics
HCM 301: Ethical & Legal Issues in Healthcare
BUS 313: Organizational Communication
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior
CJ 305: The Juvenile Justice System
SOC 305: Sociology of Work
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII
and then a whole slew of Business courses

The cost will be $5300 for all tuition & fees associated with EC and the 7cr you have to take there
Or, you can take 13cr with them (so 2 additional courses, preferably UL) for a total of $5850.

I think you could probably get through these as quickly as you could UMPI, and for less "risk" (meaning at UMPI, if you don't get through your courses quickly, you pay for that with more terms; with EC, you can go at your own pace, and you can choose your courses in the order that you want to take them). That being said, at UMPI, it would take 4 terms before you hit the EC cost, so you could conceivably do it faster and for less money.

Last thing: UMPI doesn't have a general BALS degree, so you're going to have to choose a minor (or a BA in one of 4 options), and you may not like the limited choices you have; OTOH, if you want a business degree, then UMPI will be easier to complete than EC because they've made that degree more difficult to get alternatively.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-20-2021, 12:23 AM)dfrecore Wrote: EC is an option for you as well - as long as you're good with a BALA or BSLA (not a business degree).  It can be completed via Study.com or one of the other course providers with UL options like Coopersmith or Davar.

They no longer have an AoF (concentration) like TESU, but that certainly means it will be easy to complete.

With the credits you have now, you just need a math course, and then 30cr of UL (and 6 of those credits will be the cornerstone and capstone).  So that leaves 8 UL courses - 5 must be in the Arts & Sciences (so humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and math) and up to 3 courses can be in the Applied Professional/Free Electives (so business or something like that).  Using Study.com, you could easily get UL courses (and here's what was UL last time I checked, you need to check yourself):
BUS 310: Advanced Business Ethics
HCM 301: Ethical & Legal Issues in Healthcare
BUS 313: Organizational Communication
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior
CJ 305: The Juvenile Justice System
SOC 305: Sociology of Work
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII
and then a whole slew of Business courses

The cost will be $5300 for all tuition & fees associated with EC and the 7cr you have to take there
Or, you can take 13cr with them (so 2 additional courses, preferably UL) for a total of $5850.

I think you could probably get through these as quickly as you could UMPI, and for less "risk" (meaning at UMPI, if you don't get through your courses quickly, you pay for that with more terms; with EC, you can go at your own pace, and you can choose your courses in the order that you want to take them).  That being said, at UMPI, it would take 4 terms before you hit the EC cost, so you could conceivably do it faster and for less money.

Last thing: UMPI doesn't have a general BALS degree, so you're going to have to choose a minor (or a BA in one of 4 options), and you may not like the limited choices you have; OTOH, if you want a business degree, then UMPI will be easier to complete than EC because they've made that degree more difficult to get alternatively.

Thank you so much dfrecore! I have actually forgot that I do have a math credit that I took at Sophia (College Algebra)... I forgot to add it on my list. 

I will go ahead and register/transfer all my credits at both EC and UMPI and see what I can do. It' is a big hope to know that there are alternative choices, after TESU came out with this new policy. Thanks again!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka1110's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-19-2021, 11:50 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 06:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you checked out UMPI? It is a competency based program so you're on your own like Straighterline and Sophia. You have quite a bit that would transfer there for the BLS (bachelor's of liberal studies) with a management minor or the BA in business administration. You wouldn't have to worry about upper level courses. They offer every course that they require for their degrees. They are open to international students as well. Their link is down below in my signature. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Does Umpi ask their students to advertise the institution when enrolled?

This always had an advertisement feel and not just a thread by a student excited about their college or suggesting courses. It is not even cheap and it is competency based. Nothing against it, I would considered it had I not already invested time and money in courses at other alternative platforms and colleges. I realize they do accept transfer credits but when it is so insistent, I steer away from it or do my own homework to find out more about it but proceed with caution. No offense, just my opinion.  Peace Angel

No, UMPI doesn't ask their students to advertise. I'm just offering another option. Few people on here have attended UMPI and are knowledgable about the school. I have attended a few online schools and never enjoyed them. I struggled immensely at CSU Global because of the amount of work required. I am really enjoying my time at UMPI. The program isn't for everyone, but it works well for many people. 

My second sentence I stated it was a competency based program so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. If competency based programs don't work for you that's great, but don't knock it because it does work for others. Funny thing is I have received numerous pm's from folks looking for more info on UMPI because their website doesn't go into a ton of detail. Several people have applied and enrolled after messaging me. One person was debating whether or not college was even something they could do because English isn't their first language. I encouraged them to apply and see what happens. I directed them to the international student office who is working with them. This office isn't on the YourPace page. Some people need guidance and encouragement. That's all I'm trying to do. Some have said the YourPace platform isn't for them and I'm ok with that. I wish them well and much success on their academic journey.

With the change TESU made, it's no longer the best option for many people which is very sad for those who have been working towards a TESU degree. I've seen many struggling and wanting to give up because of the change. I truly hope they don't give up and find a program that works for them. Whether they work with TESU, EC, COSC, WGU, UMPI, ESC, BYU doesn't matter to me. I just hope they can complete their degree. I understand the struggle. It's taken me almost 20 years to complete my bachelor's degree. UMPI has made completing my degree a reality and no longer a dream. 

Oh and yes I pay full tuition. No discounts for sharing my story. I'm happy to share how I got to where I am and where I'm going. Honestly, it really is because of the help I received at UMPI. I love the place so much I'm staying for 1 of my grad degrees. I will go to another online school for my second master's degree later this year. I'll share my story about that school as well just as I have CSU Global and UMPI. 

Luka1110, you need to turn your private messages on. No one can respond to you. Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Flelm, jch, Luka1110, rachel83az, TheLibrarian
Honestly, I think the ability to transfer in an unlimited amount of credits, so long as you take 30 credits at UMPI, is a huge game-changer. With TESU and COSC now limiting the number of ACE credits that they'll accept, this puts UMPI on at least even footing with them. It would be nice if they had a wider variety of degrees but the ones they do offer cover the needs of a good many degree-seeking students.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-20-2021, 01:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 06:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you checked out UMPI? It is a competency based program so you're on your own like Straighterline and Sophia. You have quite a bit that would transfer there for the BLS (bachelor's of liberal studies) with a management minor or the BA in business administration. You wouldn't have to worry about upper level courses. They offer every course that they require for their degrees. They are open to international students as well. Their link is down below in my signature. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

This always had an advertisement feel and not just a thread by a student excited about their college or suggesting courses. It is not even cheap and it is competency based. Nothing against it, I would considered it had I not already invested time and money in courses at other alternative platforms and colleges. I realize they do accept transfer credits but when it is so insistent, I steer away from it or do my own homework to find out more about it but proceed with caution. No offense, just my opinion.  Peace Angel

No, UMPI doesn't ask their students to advertise. I'm just offering another option. Few people on here have attended UMPI and are knowledgable about the school. I have attended a few online schools and never enjoyed them. I struggled immensely at CSU Global because of the amount of work required. I am really enjoying my time at UMPI. The program isn't for everyone, but it works well for many people. 

My second sentence I stated it was a competency based program so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. If competency based programs don't work for you that's great, but don't knock it because it does work for others. Funny thing is I have received numerous pm's from folks looking for more info on UMPI because their website doesn't go into a ton of detail. Several people have applied and enrolled after messaging me. One person was debating whether or not college was even something they could do because English isn't their first language. I encouraged them to apply and see what happens. I directed them to the international student office who is working with them. This office isn't on the YourPace page. Some people need guidance and encouragement. That's all I'm trying to do. Some have said the YourPace platform isn't for them and I'm ok with that. I wish them well and much success on their academic journey.

With the change TESU made, it's no longer the best option for many people which is very sad for those who have been working towards a TESU degree. I've seen many struggling and wanting to give up because of the change. I truly hope they don't give up and find a program that works for them. Whether they work with TESU, EC, COSC, WGU, UMPI, ESC, BYU doesn't matter to me. I just hope they can complete their degree. I understand the struggle. It's taken me almost 20 years to complete my bachelor's degree. UMPI has made completing my degree a reality and no longer a dream. 

Oh and yes I pay full tuition. No discounts for sharing my story. I'm happy to share how I got to where I am and where I'm going. Honestly, it really is because of the help I received at UMPI. I love the place so much I'm staying for 1 of my grad degrees. I will go to another online school for my second master's degree later this year. I'll share my story about that school as well just as I have CSU Global and UMPI. 

Luka1110, you need to turn your private messages on. No one can respond to you. Smile

I really appreciate your honesty and thanks again for your prompt help! 
....I didnt realize my private message was OFF  Huh...Just switched it back on
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka1110's post:
  • ss20ts
Honestly, if I was starting my degree completion journey today, I would seriously consider UMPI over TESU. I think with my unique situation of having the CPIM certification, and TESU both having an Operations Management concentration and taking my certification as UL credits through NCCRS, TESU is still the better choice, but UMPI would definitely have been in the conversation.

And I've never gotten the advertisement vibe from ss20ts. They just seem like a very satisfied student that wants to share their experience with a program they really enjoy.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 3 users Like Flelm's post:
  • jch, rachel83az, ss20ts

How do you think schools come to be known on this forum, if not for students coming here and sharing their stories?  It's the entire point of the forum.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 786 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 170 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 238 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,586 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch