Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone
(10-04-2019, 06:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 01:02 PM)shadowgem Wrote: The two SDC courses that they said were "no longer accepted for credit" were Microbiology and Healthcare Informatics.

Are they no longer accepted for credit at all (like not even in Free Electives), or were they referring to a specific degree and saying these courses weren't equivalent?

Apparently, not at all.  Sad  

They noted something about aside from ACE/NCCRS end dates that TESU processes local reviews to decide if a course is in fact transferable for credit. They then indicated that these two courses were "no longer accepted for credit". They did say they would accept SL's version of microbiology instead.

On the other hand, Medical Terminology at SDC is still being accepted, but the Coopersmith Medical Terminology course is also "no longer received for credit" for some reason. 

So the decision to accept/reject appears to be course specific unfortunately.
It's not unusual to request official transcripts from non-colleges, we see that with CLEP and AP already, and so asking for Studycom transcripts isn't *totally* shocking, unusual, but not shocking.

What is shocking, imo, is TESU's disregard for ACE. Many colleges don't accept ACE credits, but TESU historically has, so by requiring ACE providers to ALSO be evaluated individually feels to me like TESU is trying to tighten controls, and time will tell what that looks like.

We now have 2 ACE approved providers that have been denied by TESU (Shmoop, InstantCert) this is not a small thing when you historically ALWAYS accepted any credit that was approved by ACE.

I would not be surprised if we continue seeing changes that restrict, no open, the pathways to a degree at TESU.
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but could the business relationship with SDC be the reason that TESU is denying credit from other ACE-approved sources?
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
(10-06-2019, 04:21 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but could the business relationship with SDC be the reason that TESU is denying credit from other ACE-approved sources?

They started this a while ago, they are just as much of a pain for Study.com as any other provider that I've seen.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-06-2019, 04:21 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but could the business relationship with SDC be the reason that TESU is denying credit from other ACE-approved sources?

It is in TESU's financial interest to deny all ACE credit.
(10-07-2019, 08:11 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

It is in TESU's financial interest to deny all ACE credit.

Makes me wonder, what's the profit per semester hour that a school earns once you deduct all applicable expenses (instructor salary, electricity, administrative overhead, etc.) and how does closely does that profit value match up with the value of the residency waiver fee.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
In my opinion, Shmoop literature courses are hard. I feel that Online Degree courses and some SL courses were much easier. I think they are solid courses since proctoring was added.

The Shmoop non-literature courses I took seemed fine as well. About the same as SL, Sophia, Saylor, TEEX, etc. (I'm not counting those few crazy hard Saylors.)

Doesn't seem all that likely. For one, they've been whittling away at the SDC discount and giving them a hard time about course equivalencies, too. I find it more likely that that someone got a bug in their bonnet over the Shmoop thing, decided to question the general quality of ACE/NCCRS courses and this policy is the result.

Also, as the providers are gearing up with more courses, they are probably getting more DIYers than they've had in the past and they probably aren't that happy about that, either.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • indigoshuffle, Nixi
I'm thinking the same thing as Davewill. I'm not sure this will drive the results TESU is expecting however, it all depends if the pathway is easily achievable within the new restrictions. I'm sure a lot of money is driven through DIYers. I also think ACE ****** up giving "accreditation" for exam only, no proctoring courses at Shmoop, so it's not just TESU here.

Personally I'm saddened this is the way things are going at TESU, with so many of us being graduate there, I don't feel compelled at all to do donations.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 1 user Likes posabsolute's post:
  • indigoshuffle
If you guys want to blame someone, blame the person who did 30 Shmoop tests in a month, or whatever it was, and made it obvious that this format was just being abused. The lack of proctoring was always going to be an issue sooner or later, and we all knew it.

It's not a coincidence that Study.com recently limited their tests to 5 a month either. You can read between the lines on this stuff and see what the problem is.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 3 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • davewill, indigoshuffle, mysonx3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 435 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 419 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 435 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,262 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 245 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,177 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 226 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 354 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 295 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 411 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az