Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible!
Thumbs Up 
(05-28-2021, 07:26 PM)Vle045 Wrote: You mentioned that you are in AZ.  Have you also considered Northern Arizona University?  They have a BA and a BS in Computer Science in a competency based program.  It is $3000 for 6 months.  If you can pound out a lot of gen ed classes in advance, you *might* be able to get it done in 6 months.  
https://nau.edu/online/bs-computer-infor...nology-pl/

Thank you, I'd have to take a look at that!

(05-28-2021, 07:35 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The problem with NAU is that they don't appear to readily accept alternate credit sources.

Darn they don't seem to have a list either, have to search course by course or probably talk with an advisor Undecided

Edit: Looks like only 64 ACE credits
(05-28-2021, 07:35 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The problem with NAU is that they don't appear to readily accept alternate credit sources.

I know they take some, but not sure where to find what exactly they take.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-28-2021, 08:13 PM)Vle045 Wrote:

There is a list here: https://alternativecreditproject.nau.edu/

Ed4Online no longer exists and I think Pearson recently stopped their ACE credit thing. They only list one Sophia course. The rest of the courses listed and that could be taken are at StraighterLine. UMPI would be cheaper and easier than NAU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-29-2021, 07:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 08:13 PM)Vle045 Wrote:

There is a list here: https://alternativecreditproject.nau.edu/

Ed4Online no longer exists and I think Pearson recently stopped their ACE credit thing. They only list one Sophia course. The rest of the courses listed and that could be taken are at StraighterLine. UMPI would be cheaper and easier than NAU.

Thanks.  I knew I had seen it, but can never seem to find it.   The person I talked to there made it sound like you can also petition to have a course accepted, but since I don’t have that many alternative credits, I haven’t tried it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I would start by taking EVERYTHING Sophia has - spend a few months going through all of the courses. That will let you see if you can do a competency-based thing at all - if you find that you're just not getting through courses quickly, and aren't completing 5, 6, 8 courses a month through Sophia, then you probably aren't going to do well with a CBE program, so don't want to drop a ton of money there. OTOH, if you find that you are killing it on Sophia, then CBE may be for you.

Then, I would probably spend a couple of months on Study.com, doing a bunch of UL courses where you have to do papers/projects. If you can kill it there, then you are probably 1) ready for a CBE program; 2) have some idea of what to expect in terms of coursework (not that everything will be as easy as Sophia and Study, but you'll have some background info, some courses under your belt, etc); and 3) you'll have a bunch of credits that you can apply to whatever school you end up at.

Now, you just make a list of everything you've completed, and you can figure out what you need to finish at both schools. You create a degree plan for each school, and figure out what it will take to finish at that school (don't look at what you lose - look at what it takes to FINISH). Both time and money. And then make your decision based on good, up-to-date info, including costs and time and your learning style.

I literally would sign up for Sophia now, and see how it goes. Like, today, now.

Also, if you spend a couple of months doing this, you will give UMPI's CS degree time to drop - and you can include that one in your list.

You can also go take some classes at your local CC if it's inexpensive. I would also probably do a checklist of every single thing all 3 degrees require for GE's, and try to check them all off as you go, so that your decision is very easy at the end.

So for instance you need a physical science and a life science at UMPI, one of which must be a lab. You need 2 Sciences at TESU. You need a physical science and a lab at WGU. So it's easy to see that you'd do a physical science and a life science, and one of those would be a lab course (so either Bio w/lab + physical science or Chem w/lab + life science and then you've covered all 3 schools. You'll have more than you need for TESU, but that's ok.

You need a hands-on art class at UMPI, and you need 30cr of RA at TESU - so kill those birds with a hands-on art course (graphic design or photography if you need to do it online) at an RA CC near you.

You need English Comp I & II - easy enough to do them through TEL, and then you've covered UMPI, TESU, and you have more RA credits (and if you choose the right school for those 2 courses, you've created less work for yourself).

You need math at all 3 schools - I'd do College Algebra and Stats at Sophia - and then maybe take the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP at TESU and/or Finite Math at ONU.

There are lots of ways to get where you need to go, so you just start by listing all of the GE that's needed, and then figure out the best way to cover all of your bases.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • OP88
Thumbs Up 
(05-29-2021, 12:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would start by taking EVERYTHING Sophia has - spend a few months going through all of the courses.  That will let you see if you can do a competency-based thing at all - if you find that you're just not getting through courses quickly, and aren't completing 5, 6, 8 courses a month through Sophia, then you probably aren't going to do well with a CBE program, so don't want to drop a ton of money there.  OTOH, if you find that you are killing it on Sophia, then CBE may be for you.

Then, I would probably spend a couple of months on Study.com, doing a bunch of UL courses where you have to do papers/projects.  If you can kill it there, then you are probably 1) ready for a CBE program; 2) have some idea of what to expect in terms of coursework (not that everything will be as easy as Sophia and Study, but you'll have some background info, some courses under your belt, etc); and 3) you'll have a bunch of credits that you can apply to whatever school you end up at.

Now, you just make a list of everything you've completed, and you can figure out what you need to finish at both schools.  You create a degree plan for each school, and figure out what it will take to finish at that school (don't look at what you lose - look at what it takes to FINISH).  Both time and money.  And then make your decision based on good, up-to-date info, including costs and time and your learning style.

I literally would sign up for Sophia now, and see how it goes.  Like, today, now.

Also, if you spend a couple of months doing this, you will give UMPI's CS degree time to drop - and you can include that one in your list.

You can also go take some classes at your local CC if it's inexpensive.  I would also probably do a checklist of every single thing all 3 degrees require for GE's, and try to check them all off as you go, so that your decision is very easy at the end.

So for instance you need a physical science and a life science at UMPI, one of which must be a lab.  You need 2 Sciences at TESU.  You need a physical science and a lab at WGU.  So it's easy to see that you'd do a physical science and a life science, and one of those would be a lab course (so either Bio w/lab + physical science or Chem w/lab + life science and then you've covered all 3 schools.  You'll have more than you need for TESU, but that's ok.

You need a hands-on art class at UMPI, and you need 30cr of RA at TESU - so kill those birds with a hands-on art course (graphic design or photography if you need to do it online) at an RA CC near you.

You need English Comp I & II - easy enough to do them through TEL, and then you've covered UMPI, TESU, and you have more RA credits (and if you choose the right school for those 2 courses, you've created less work for yourself).

You need math at all 3 schools - I'd do College Algebra and Stats at Sophia - and then maybe take the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP at TESU and/or Finite Math at ONU.

There are lots of ways to get where you need to go, so you just start by listing all of the GE that's needed, and then figure out the best way to cover all of your bases.

Thank you, @Dfrecore, for the super detailed and helpful response, I really appreciate it! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 576 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 424 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,591 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,041 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,211 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,078 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,045 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,968 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,304 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123