Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU portfolio tips
I've had a couple people ask to see a narrative. I wasn't comfortable sending it to them, but instead I'll post one here for anybody to see. I removed personally identifiable information, but other than that it is the same narrative that I submitted to TESU.

The word count is just over 4,100. You'll see how I used the Learning Outcomes as writing prompts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1734[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">Accounting Theory Narrative redacted.pdf (Size: 166.02 KB / Downloads: 37)
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tesu-acct-student's post:
  • Life Long Learning
tesu-acct-student Wrote:I've had a couple people ask to see a narrative. I wasn't comfortable sending it to them, but instead I'll post one here for anybody to see. I removed personally identifiable information, but other than that it is the same narrative that I submitted to TESU.

The word count is just over 4,100. You'll see how I used the Learning Outcomes as writing prompts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1734[/ATTACH]

Being one of the members that was looking for a PLA/Portfolio example, I am really thankful to see you post this. It actually appears more doable for adult students with plenty of life experience/skills than I was picturing.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:Being one of the members that was looking for a PLA/Portfolio example, I am really thankful to see you post this. It actually appears more doable for adult students with plenty of life experience/skills than I was picturing.

That has certainly been my experience, and is why I really encourage people to consider it.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
I am sorry to see this thread end on this note.

I had hopes there would be a greater emphasis on successful prior learning assessment packages.

Currently, I have been told by my academic advisor that I don't need their PLA-200, since my Kaplan PLA 100/200 was accepted by them. He said it was duplicative and would not count for credit nor be eligible for any kind of financial assistance.

My response, even before seeing this, was that I wanted to make sure I submitted my PLA's the 'TESU way'.

I have not gotten a response as of yet.

I apologize beforehand for the spoonfeeding request, but are the two people that actually responded on topic saying that they created a unique PLA for each course they wanted to PLA out of, or is there a, for lack of a better term, 'framework' that can be made once then modified to reflect the specifics of each class challenged?

I guess I just need to email PLAWeb@tesu.edu and see what guidance they can offer.

The academic advisor wants to schedule phone conferences. I'd prefer email, as you can see, it's 2am, and sometimes the only time I have to myself to suss these things out.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

As I described, I was able to use the same basic package with two different narratives for my five PLA courses. This was because they were all computer science courses. If the courses had been more varied, I might have needed to do more distinctly separate packages for each course.

I'm sorry I've been unable to post my portfolios, they are so autobiographical that I don't feel I can sanitize them adequately.

If you were to self study the Hoffman book from the PLA 200 syllabus below, it would give you much of the guidance i got from the PLA courses, including examples of different sorts of portfolios.

http://www2.tesu.edu/syllabus/current/PL...A-200.html

Also, the Thomas Edison State University | Prior Learning Assessment Course Description Database is extremely helpful for locating courses that can be challenged and getting their learning outcomes which are central to any portfolio. It has many more courses than the actual catalog has so it is easier to find a course to match your experience.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks!

Got an email this morning. A Mr. Todd Siben states that if I do not take PLA-200, I cannot submit portfolios for assessment. So, I'll have to take it. (shrugs)
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore