Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU question....
Hello,

With the help of a few people on this site and my own research I put together a plan to get both an Associates and a Bachelors degree from COSC.

I've been slow to start my original plan for a variety of reasons. I decided to get fired up and motivated again to pursue my original plan. I recently learned about the "upgrade" that Thomas Edison State has gone through naming wise from "College" to "University". I plan on traveling and working internationally and I just found out that in Japan they actually hold learning institutions with "University" in the name in a much higher regard compared to those with "College" in the name. I don't want to be at a disadvantage just because of a naming difference at my chosen institution.

This is one of the reasons I am switching from COSC to TESU. Fortunately my only investment into COSC so far is the time I spent building a degree plan.

Sorry for the long backstory but I am starting from scratch again. I would like to get a Bachelors in Computer Science at TESU.

My main question is can I still use ALEKS, Straighterline and Study.com as the main sources of my credit? I want to avoid CLEPs and DSSTs and much as possible. I know free FEMA credits wont be an option. Any insights would be appreciated. I would like to pick up an Associates Degree along the way so any links to updated study plans that primarily use ALEKS, Straighterline and Study.com would also be appreciated as well.

Thanks again.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
Hello. Those three are all you need to get a degree from TESU. If you want more variety, you can take some Davar/Saylor courses.
Guess what! I took a hefty load of FEMA as COSC was also my first choice, after doing all the ALEKS and free courses, I chose TESU.
This is also because they changed to University status. But not just that, they only require 18 UL credits vs 30 UL credits at COSC.

The final draw or pull towards the TESU is because, they allow easier/more flexible options towards their degrees, you can find cheap courses!
Cost wise, I would say they are about the same for the Big 3, each of them have affiliate/partnership/scholarship pricing.
Find a degree you want and go for it, take the courses that you require at these 3 (or 4 or 5) mentioned, and all you need is the capstone.

Wiki: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
Beginners Guide: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/The_Basic_Approach
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks bjcheung for the reply. You actually helped me with my COSC plan awhile back so thanks for that. I will take a look at the links in your profile signature as well. I have one other question that I forgot to throw in. Should I use the strategy of waiting until I have earned most of my credits before enrolling with TESU OR should I enroll and get approval for credit before I take any exams? I know there was a cost savings to putting off the enrollment at COSC but is this the same scenario at TESU?

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
AwardTour Wrote:Thanks bjcheung for the reply. You actually helped me with my COSC plan awhile back so thanks for that. I will take a look at the links in your profile signature as well. I have one other question that I forgot to throw in. Should I use the strategy of waiting until I have earned most of my credits before enrolling with TESU OR should I enroll and get approval for credit before I take any exams? I know there was a cost savings to putting off the enrollment at COSC but is this the same scenario at TESU?
Neither. You should start taking exams and courses, and you should apply and send in your transcripts at the same time. Here's my latest spreadsheet for BACS at TESU:

Attached Files
.xls   Less than 1 minute ago">TESU BA Computer Science 2016-3.xls (Size: 27 KB / Downloads: 1)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
There are two options: 1) Complete a degree other than CS, then take 24 credits (new) in CS at TESU.
Check this thread out and make sure to download the spreadsheet from davewill, his plan is solid (also check his signature).
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...ter-2.html

2) Complete the requirements for the CS degree outside of TESU, you have 20 general education electives and 27 free electives
That means you have roughly 47 credits in "anything", you can finish the FREE credits, 4 ALEKS courses and a whole lot of cheap courses
Get a spreadsheet (from dfrecore or use the one from davewill above) and plug in the cheapest/easiest/fastest courses

You have to start somewhere, start with the FREE credits right away, it'll be for the 27 free electives. Then do the 4 ALEKS courses.
Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Precalculus, Statistics - If stats is too hard, take it at SL or Study.com
Plug in the spreadsheet with all the courses you want, you should do courses in bunches so the course details overlap.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I have a plan similar to davewill's, but it gives you more options for each course in Gen Ed/Free Elective. His puts in specific courses, but you don't have to take those in particular. His plan may be cheaper than mine, though. But you can get the costs down if you choose different options.

Mine also includes the Study.com affiliate membership pricing, so any courses you may want to take at TESU are actually $1098 rather than $1500.

They also have discounted pricing for the comprehensive plan, which is $6350/36cr in a single year. That is a great price, and if you did that, you could take all 33cr from your AOS through them, and then do the remaining courses with this plan. I don't think it saves you a lot of money, but if you really want to learn the material, it might be a good option for you. Just depends on what your goals are.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">TESU 2016 BA CS.xlsx (Size: 44.18 KB / Downloads: 1)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
davewill Wrote:Neither. You should start taking exams and courses, and you should apply and send in your transcripts at the same time. Here's my latest spreadsheet for BACS at TESU:

I really appreciate davewill and dfrecore sharing their degree plans. I will model my plan around those plans while getting an Associates Degree with the end goal of getting a Bachelors Degree.

Maybe I should have done more research on TESU and their fees before making this thread. At COSC there was a per semester enrollment fee. This caused people to put off enrollment until their plan was almost complete. Does that not apply with TESU? I don't have any existing credits to transfer. I am truly starting from scratch. I just want to understand if there is a fee structure difference between TESU and COSC. I like the idea of having my credits "locked in" right after I pass a test/course at TESU.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
AwardTour Wrote:Maybe I should have done more research on TESU and their fees before making this thread. At COSC there was a per semester enrollment fee. This caused people to put off enrollment until their plan was almost complete. Does that not apply with TESU? I don't have any existing credits to transfer. I am truly starting from scratch. I just want to understand if there is a fee structure difference between TESU and COSC. I like the idea of having my credits "locked in" right after I pass a test/course at TESU.

There isn't some fee per semester or other time-based fee, however you have to take a course or TECEP to stay enrolled every year, and within the first 6 months.

Also, the residency waiver fee may increase.

See this thread where people give good reasons to enroll right away and how TECEPs are a great option. But some people also say they wouldn't until you have a bunch of credits. It covers your question well. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesu.html

Ideas Wrote:There isn't some fee per semester or other time-based fee, however you have to take a course or TECEP to stay enrolled every year, and within the first 6 months.

Also, the residency waiver fee may increase.

See this thread where people give good reasons to enroll right away and how TECEPs are a great option. But some people also say they wouldn't until you have a bunch of credits. It covers your question well. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesu.html

Thanks for pointing me over to that thread. It answers my question. I will now have the peace of mind knowing that my credits are "locked in" right after I pass an exam. I am glad I am making the switch to TESU. COSC had friendly admissions staff and quick turn-around times in their email responses. I hope TESU isn't too terribly lacking on the customer service and response times.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
AwardTour Wrote:Thanks for pointing me over to that thread. It answers my question. I will now have the peace of mind knowing that my credits are "locked in" right after I pass an exam. I am glad I am making the switch to TESU. COSC had friendly admissions staff and quick turn-around times in their email responses. I hope TESU isn't too terribly lacking on the customer service and response times.

Smile

The main problem with TESU is you get inconsistent answers. It's discussed a lot here Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 590 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 429 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,158 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,099 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,333 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,099 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,978 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 614 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,321 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 549 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore