Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU refusing SDC discount
Maybe look at other schools. TESU isn't the only one. Check out EC and COSC. Might be a better fit for you.
(07-01-2020, 09:08 AM)lillingworth Wrote: I think it's probably too late now. They were pretty clear that it had to be "noted" on my account on or before 6/30 regardless of when I started SDC. This rejection is apparently coming from the Office of Strategic Partnerships at TESU and delayed everything just enough that I missed the deadline.

Sorry if I sounded unkind earlier. This was a hell of a blow. The discount was a vital part of us being able to afford finishing our education. I'm absolutely gutted because now it's just simply not in the budget. This plus the RWF going up again... sigh.

If cost is your primary factor, keep in mind that if you're a US resident, you can earn a degree with WGU in less time and roughly half the cost compared to TESU.

Alternatively, you can save money by going with COSC, but in that case you'll also need to transfer in at least 24 RA credits and it looks like you may already have that from your Murray State credits. They are still more expensive than WGU, but much cheaper than EC and TESU now that the TESU SDC discounts are gone.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(07-01-2020, 04:45 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 09:08 AM)lillingworth Wrote: I think it's probably too late now. They were pretty clear that it had to be "noted" on my account on or before 6/30 regardless of when I started SDC. This rejection is apparently coming from the Office of Strategic Partnerships at TESU and delayed everything just enough that I missed the deadline.

Sorry if I sounded unkind earlier. This was a hell of a blow. The discount was a vital part of us being able to afford finishing our education. I'm absolutely gutted because now it's just simply not in the budget. This plus the RWF going up again... sigh.

If cost is your primary factor, keep in mind that if you're a US resident, you can earn a degree with WGU in less time and roughly half the cost compared to TESU.

Alternatively, you can save money by going with COSC, but in that case you'll also need to transfer in at least 24 RA credits and it looks like you may already have that from your Murray State credits. They are still more expensive than WGU, but much cheaper than EC and TESU now that the TESU SDC discounts are gone.

First, I would escalate this as the reason you're "late" getting this applied is because TESU dragged their feet in applying the Study.com affiliation to your account.  I would contact them, ask about an appeal, and show them everything you have in writing, as well as the fact that you had a Study.com course on your eval prior to 6/30.

Second, the cost will go up, but I don't think it's so significant that you can't graduate - you just probably can't do it as soon as you wanted to.  I would look at how much money you can save over the time period to be able to afford this degree since you seem to be close.

Third, I would look at WGU, COSC and EC to see if you can't switch to something that costs less than TESU.  EC was already very close in cost, but now that TESU is more, EC will be relatively less.  COSC will be significantly cheaper.  WGU will be cheaper still if you can finish in 1 term.

Just now went back and read your initial post, I think the problem is that you did not transfer over any completed Study.com courses. It's not about being in the middle of taking them, you have to actually transfer a course over to get the discount. At least, that was my understanding of how it worked.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Merlin, rachel83az
Unfortunately I'm not a US resident. I live in Japan. I thought being a US citizen was enough but when I visit the WGU site, a banner pops up warning me that it's for US residents or military abroad ONLY. So, it looks like citizens abroad can't attend.

The other issue is that I have a ton of student loan debt and cannot get my transcripts. TESU has my Murray State transcripts from a while back but I can't get new ones sent to other universities until debts are paid off. However, with this recent hike in price and no discount, it may be about the same price. I'd just have to pay now instead of later.

But honestly after this and the way the advisor is responding to me, I'd rather go elsewhere. IF TESU is still the cheaper option though I may just have to suck it up and take longer to graduate and get off this damn island haha.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

(07-01-2020, 07:20 PM)lillingworth Wrote: Unfortunately I'm not a US resident. I live in Japan. I thought being a US citizen was enough but when I visit the WGU site, a banner pops up warning me that it's for US residents or military abroad ONLY. So, it looks like citizens abroad can't attend.

The other issue is that I have a ton of student loan debt and cannot get my transcripts. TESU has my Murray State transcripts from a while back but I can't get new ones sent to other universities until debts are paid off. However, with this recent hike in price and no discount, it may be about the same price. I'd just have to pay now instead of later.

But honestly after this and the way the advisor is responding to me, I'd rather go elsewhere. IF TESU is still the cheaper option though I may just have to suck it up and take longer to graduate and get off this damn island haha.

No school is going to let you enroll when you owe money to a school - they have access to a national database, and you're going to be out of luck, whether it's when you enroll (if they let you) or when you try to graduate - and they won't allow it.

Your best bet is to figure out a way to pay that off; and save as much money as you can towards whatever degree you want/need to get once that's done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-01-2020, 07:20 PM)lillingworth Wrote: Unfortunately I'm not a US resident. I live in Japan. I thought being a US citizen was enough but when I visit the WGU site, a banner pops up warning me that it's for US residents or military abroad ONLY. So, it looks like citizens abroad can't attend.

You should appeal that sdc decision with that the ppl in this thread have said.    I mean if youre really serious about this why not get a mailbox in the US and do it that way. I'm not sure about WGUs LIVING residency requirements but seems odd since it has branded itself as a distance learning university, I mean even community colleges are taking non residents at a higher price. Anyway that is how TESU does things. Changes things last minute, makes every one panic and end up paying an extra couple thousand.
TESU - BA CS
(07-02-2020, 08:12 PM)inf Wrote:

You should appeal that sdc decision with that the ppl in this thread have said.    I mean if youre really serious about this why not get a mailbox in the US and do it that way.  I'm not sure about WGUs LIVING residency requirements but seems odd since it has branded itself as a distance learning university, I mean even community colleges are taking non residents at a higher price.  Anyway that is how TESU does things.  Changes things last minute, makes every one panic and end up paying an extra couple thousand.

Here's WGU's response:

"At the present time, WGU is accepting applications only from individuals living in the United States. (The exceptions are U.S. active-duty military personnel and their families at overseas installations and individuals living in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)

Unfortunately, we have discovered we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience. It is our expectation that these problems will be solved in future years." 

I do have a valid US Driver's License from OR and I am a citizen but my taxes and residency are done over here on Gilligan's Island.

I think my best bet is to continue on SDC and save up the few thousand to free up my transcripts. I'll basically be paying the same amount so I might as well go somewhere that's a bit friendlier/more transparent. 

I don't hate TESU or anything and I will try to appeal but I'm not really impressed with how they handled this. I know they're "cheap" but it's still a lot of money to me and customer service is important in any business at any price.
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

UPDATE: After multiple emails, questions, and getting more people involved, the final decision is that I am NOT eligible.

The last email stated that it was because I APPLIED before the partnership. It has nothing to do with being enrolled. Simply filling out the application and paying the fee was enough to exclude me.

TESU is not all that, you don't have to go with them if you don't really need to. For TESU, you need residency credits, so if you get the 16 credits in 1 term, there is no need to get discounts at all, you just pay the non-state price and you can do all 16 credits, just take the easiest ones that apply to your degree.

For the cost, I highly recommend COSC or one of the competency based degree providers such as Brandman. TESU has gone up in price, requirements may have changed (which I don't think has yet). It no longer is the most appealing of the degree providers. Take your time and decide your program & school.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-09-2020, 12:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU is not all that, you don't have to go with them if you don't really need to.  For TESU, you need residency credits, so if you get the 16 credits in 1 term, there is no need to get discounts at all, you just pay the non-state price and you can do all 16 credits, just take the easiest ones that apply to your degree.

For the cost, I highly recommend COSC or one of the competency based degree providers such as Brandman.  TESU has gone up in price, requirements may have changed (which I don't think has yet).  It no longer is the most appealing of the degree providers.  Take your time and decide your program & school.

Thank you for introducing me to Brandman! I'd never heard of it before but it may be a good option. The main appeal of TESU was that they already had my transcripts so I could work towards whatever needed filled in on my academic eval. Now I have to pay ~$2100 to get my transcripts anywhere else. I know I have to pay it regardless, but with TESU I could push it off until later. 

I'm gonna do some more research on Brandman and hubby is looking at COSC's PM degree since that fits his current career.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 508 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 450 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 467 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,285 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,221 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 370 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 277 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27