Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Strict is TESU on the 100 Credit Rule
This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask:

I am doing a double-AOS (History & Psychology), and plan on doing either the July or August capstone (in order to graduate in December). It is possible that I won't have whatever TESU's definition of "most" of my AOS done by then (especially if they want almost all done with both). I'm wondering if I should have a BALS added to my evaluation (the AOS for which I will have completed by then), with no intention of completing it, simply so that I will appear closer to graduation when I ask them to unlock the capstone. Thoughts?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I think a better solution would be to go on a call with your advisor and ask him/her, exactly how many courses would they like you to complete in your AOS before enrolment in the Capstone. And if it is ok to complete AOS requirements for one degree first, and enrol.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
One thing to keep in mind...

Previously TESU was allowing students to unlock their capstone course as long as they had 100+ credits applied to their evaluation, English Comp I and II completed with a C/CR or better, and most (meaning all but like 1 or 2) of their Core/Area of Study courses completed and on their evaluation (not in transit) at the time the unlock petition was reviewed.

However, recently we have seen a few people complain about having their petition declined because they didn't have ALL their Core/AoS courses completed, despite meeting the rest of the requirements listed above. So it may be that they are moving towards that as the official policy. That or perhaps there are multiple people who can make the decision for a petition and some are just more (or less) strict than others.

Given the above, it seems like the prudent thing is to plan ahead to meet the stricter requirements before petitioning, just in case.

(03-12-2019, 07:47 PM)natshar Wrote: I gotta say this new strict policy really makes things more difficult than it used to be. Really hard to graduate on time you have to plan everything out more in advance now.

I suspect that the impetus for this change is to ensure that more people complete the capstone courses. Based on my own experience, it seems like there is a high drop-out rate on the capstone courses, possibly due to the fact that some people were registering for and taking the courses before they had gained the relevant experience and skills.

The courses are intended to be a culmination of a degree, and as such students are expected to be able to demonstrate their ability to apply what they have learned from their academic journey to the problems identified in the capstone (or to their research). When a significant number of students drop out (or fail the course) because they cannot demonstrate knowledge of the core subjects of their degree, or cannot meet the writing requirements due to lack of experience, then the school should step in to figure out why and fix it. I'm pretty sure that this capstone lock is the result of how they have chosen to address this problem.

I agree that it requires people to plan ahead a bit more, but it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Of course, my plan from the start was that the capstone would be the final course I took to earn my degree so this change wouldn't have impacted that. Assuming I didn't run into some unexpected issue towards the end that interfered with my plans. I'm glad I took the capstone last anyway since it would have sucked to be stuck trying to complete other courses while working on the capstone at the same time.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-13-2019, 02:19 AM)Merlin Wrote: One thing to keep in mind...

Previously TESU was allowing students to unlock their capstone course as long as they had 100+ credits applied to their evaluation, English Comp I and II completed with a C/CR or better, and most (meaning all but like 1 or 2) of their Core/Area of Study courses completed and on their evaluation (not in transit) at the time the unlock petition was reviewed.

However, recently we have seen a few people complain about having their petition declined because they didn't have ALL their Core/AoS courses completed, despite meeting the rest of the requirements listed above. So it may be that they are moving towards that as the official policy. That or perhaps there are multiple people who can make the decision for a petition and some are just more (or less) strict than others.

Given the above, it seems like the prudent thing is to plan ahead to meet the stricter requirements before petitioning, just in case.

(03-12-2019, 07:47 PM)natshar Wrote: I gotta say this new strict policy really makes things more difficult than it used to be. Really hard to graduate on time you have to plan everything out more in advance now.

I suspect that the impetus for this change is to ensure that more people complete the capstone courses. Based on my own experience, it seems like there is a high drop-out rate on the capstone courses, possibly due to the fact that some people were registering for and taking the courses before they had gained the relevant experience and skills.

The courses are intended to be a culmination of a degree, and as such students are expected to be able to demonstrate their ability to apply what they have learned from their academic journey to the problems identified in the capstone (or to their research). When a significant number of students drop out (or fail the course) because they cannot demonstrate knowledge of the core subjects of their degree, or cannot meet the writing requirements due to lack of experience, then the school should step in to figure out why and fix it. I'm pretty sure that this capstone lock is the result of how they have chosen to address this problem.

I agree that it requires people to plan ahead a bit more, but it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Of course, my plan from the start was that the capstone would be the final course I took to earn my degree so this change wouldn't have impacted that. Assuming I didn't run into some unexpected issue towards the end that interfered with my plans. I'm glad I took the capstone last anyway since it would have sucked to be stuck trying to complete other courses while working on the capstone at the same time.

Something that's very unfortunate about this new policy (if the "you have to complete the entire AOS beforehand" is the official policy) is that those who intend to take another class with the Capstone won't be allowed to have that course be an AOS course, because then they wouldn't be able to register for the Capstone. This is especially frustrating if you're doing an AOS that has a class that can't be easily tested out of. Since you need 6 credits per term to get financial aid, it would be nice to be able to take both in the same term (if you're so brave), but they're preventing that from happening if they go with "you have to complete the entire major first".
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Ideas
I suppose the rules might be slightly different if you are taking courses within TESU. They might probably allow you to take another AOS course alongside the Capstone. Like Merlin said, the prime objective of this policy seems to be cutting down the Capstone dropout rates. I suspect another reason would be to exercise some level of control over students who transfer in almost all of their credits from elsewhere.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 696 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,576 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy